IL Chicago Hyatt Regency Chicago Loop

debbiest
By debbiest,
in

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Chicago from June 7-10th on a Priceline.com bid :) We stayed in Room 2182 in the East Tower.It had 2 Double beds,Iron/Ironing Board,Blow Dryer,coffee maker,shampoos/conditioners,and lots of soap. The only thing I noticed was the lack of drawer space otherwise everything was fine. We were on the 21st floor with floor to ceiling windows and a view of the lake on both sides! We put in a few requests and each were granted with no problems! The lobby was very busy with convention/business people.It did not bother us at all and we thought this hotel was great! The location was good,the room was very nice and clean,service was professional and efficient!

We would surely stay here again,no problem!! :)

I'd read a few negative reviews about this hotel on other sites but I was completely satisfied with my stay. I was on the 16th floor of the East tower on a Priceline stay. I had a King bed in a fairly spacious room that had obviously been refurnished in the last year. The padded headboard, loveseat, and bedside lamp sconces were all nice touches. I used the fitness room which was well-stocked with cardio equipment--treadmills, recumbent bikes, ellipticals, and stair steppers. There are several restaurant options, including a Connie's Pizza if you want deep dish without having to leave the hotel. The location was great, just south of the bridge and a block or so off Michigan Ave.

• 1 month later...

I just got back from a 5 night stay at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. It was acceptable but, in my opinion , this hotel does not rate a 4 star. I would not call it a luxury hotel. The service was average to below average. It took forever for someone to answer the phone and there were not enough people staffing the concierge desk. For the 5 nights we stayed there we only got the two bars of soap that were in the room when we checked in. The shampoo and conditioner were also not replenished. At check in, I had shown my Hyatt gold passport card and asked for an upgrade. I'm not sure if I was given one but the room I was assigned to was on the 32nd floor. The room was comfortable but with little lighting. One of our lighting fixtures was broken and had a note that the hotel was aware of the problem and it would be fixed. It was never fixed during the five nights we spent there. There was minimal drawer space. It is a very bustling hotel- no matter what time night or day.

On the plus side, the hotel is in an ideal location and some of the restaurants are very reasonable. The free shuttle stops right outside the door.

I truly think this hotel should be rated a 3 star.

• 1 year later...

12/23-12/25

Your Offer Price: $45.00

I just got back from the Hyatt Regency. Since there are several reviews I will try not to rehash too much. I showed my Gold passport and was given a 30th floor east tower king. Extremely nice and clean room(pictures at realhotelphotos.com). I agree not enough drawer space, a little costly for any extras, and parking is outrageous at 39 a night. Luckily area garages charge 15/night and there is plenty of free and meter parking that is available at night. Had similar problems getting anyone to answer phone calls and OK service. Obviously the location is prime. I rather enjoyed the hotel and I think it can just pass for a 4* given its location and nice rooms and such. At this price I wouldn't mind staying again.

1/7-1/9

Your Offer Price: $45.00

I just got back from the Hyatt Regency. The stay started off a bit rough when i walked into the first room they gave me on the 20th floor of the west tower and the bathroom had drills and half the tiles were torn up. I called down to the front desk, which was answered promptly, and they had me come back down to change rooms. for my troubles the manager upgraded me to a deluxe room on the 30th. frankly i didn't see too much difference in the deluxe vs regular rooms, but the room was clean and had plenty of soap and supplies in the bathroom. overall the stay was very good....excellent for the price i paid. would definitely stay there again....too bad i already have the westin across the street from hancock booked for v-day....maybe they will suprise me too.

• 1 month later...

if you bid on a 4* hotel on NMA, you're pretty much getting the hyatt regency. the reason being that this hotel is the biggest in chicago. however, keep in mind that bigger is not better, as convention goers flock here making this hotel loud and crowded and service suffers as a result. the rooms are very plain with some wear and reminds me of red roof inn or motel 6. as such, despite the location (a bit far from shopping but close to millenium park) i would not pay more than what i would pay at a motel. in conclusion, if you're particular about hotels you stay at, then do not bid as you will almost surely get the hyatt regency. if you don't really care and want a decent room near downtown, go for it.

EDIT by thereuare: while this hotel may currently be a common one on Priceline, i disagree with the blanket statement "you're pretty much getting the hyatt regency". Users should be willing to accept any hotel in the zone, and the most common hotel in a zone today may be replaced by a different hotel tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

We stayed here March 10th for 2 nights at 65.00 a night priceline bid. We upgraded to Club level for another 30.00 a night. (had to ask). For us it was worth it as they served breakfast in the club lounge every mornining and also snacks at night. Rooms were upgrades also. You get key cards to use in the elevator to the club floors and the view is awesome! I would do it again.

Cheryl

ps,, that was big 10 basket ball weekend and rates were much higher everywhere else. I was surprised our first offer was accepted.

• 4 weeks later...

Booked Hyatt Regency Downtown 28th April - 2nd May on the U.K. priceline and got the room for the equivalent of $80 a night. The service was excellent and i was really happy with the room and the staff, Anything i asked they had the answer! Can`t argue with that. The only let down was the pizza parlor/bar which charged exhorbitant prices and the parking charges, When you can go round the corner and get the same service/better quality for cheaper!( so do a little bit of homework and save $$$$$$$)

Apart from that its handy to everything, clean and quiet. Thanks to this site I saved quite a bit! Thankyou!

• 4 weeks later...

I stayed at the Hyatt a year ago (May 23 - 26 2004)....a little late, I know.....but I generally agree with those who question the hotel's 4* rating. But it's hard to complain at $65 a night (a total of $247.27 with taxes, etc). When you stay, take into account the money you'll have to spend on valet service if you have a car ($20/night when I was there) and if you eat or drink anywhere in the hotel's restaurants or room service. Not cheap!!! I think I paid $18 including tip for a very mediocre burger, fries, and a domestic beer from their sports bar/restaurant. The hotel does have a great location, and is central to so many things. When I stayed I remember the Hyatt.com rate was $199/night. Yikes! Not for this place.....wish I had won the Mich. Ave. Westin, but my trip was still fun.

Pros: A short walk from the Magnificent Mile (a few minutes), great views if you get a North Lake view, nice bathroom, can't pass it up for under $80/night (you're in dowtown Chicago after all!!!).

Cons: Expensive valet parking ($20 night), mediocre restaurants, bedding (long hairs on my comforter upon arrival....I guess they don't wash the comforters?), average room that I would have complained about if I had paid full "retail" room price, dim hallways, front desk could have been a bit friendlier (but it was busy at the time).

• 2 months later...

I stayed here in December of 04 and agree that it is not a four star hotel. But when you pay less than $100 you can not complain that much. The room was stuffy and smelly but the staff did upgrade us to the "club" floor after showing a Hyatt gold passport membership, which at least offered breakfast and internet access. This hotel is HUGE and very impersonal and was extremely crowded. The Swissotel is right down the road and much nicer if pricing is similar. There are few updates to the property in general and it just seems outdated and none of the restaurant choices seemed great. I am sure this location is fine in the Summer but walking to attractions from this location in the Winter is a pain. This is the only four star hotel I really try to avoid in Chicago.

• 6 months later...

Here is a little review for everyone. First arrived in Chicago by Amtrak because I was traveling from Wisconsin. I took a cab from union station to hotel and it cost around $12. I arrived at the Hyatt and a bell man opened our cab door and asked if we wanted our bags carried upto the room. Considering we only had one bag we said no thanks. We then proceeded into the large lobby. There was a couple bars that I noticed and plenty of great views with all the windows. We took an escalator up a floor where we checked in and had no problems at all. We could have used a machine to checkin, but we got help from the desk because I did not know what type of room we would get. We were booked for a nonsmoking king room. I got it changed to a smoking room with no problems. We then took the elevator to the eighth floor where are room was located. It had a nice view of the John Hancock building and the river. The room had a very comfortable bed with 4 pillows and a body pillow. There was a stocked fridge, desk where internet access could be hooked upto, TV that could be swiveled to change the view to where you were sitting in the room. There was also a nice chair that you would just sink into, and a couch with a little coffee table on wheels. I liked the room but I think I would have moved the bed to where the couch was. Cause it was hard to get a good view of the TV where we were sitting. But that did not bug us too much because we spent most of the time away from the room. The bathroom was nothing special, sink, bathtub/shower, toilet and a hair dryer. I did like the toilet paper better then most hotels though. It wasn't that hard construction paper type toilet paper that most hotels have. I looked at prices of room service and it was expensive but expected that for area and type of hotel it was.

After spending little bit of time in room we decided to walk around hotel. There were many shops located in an underground walkway. Salons and spas and such. We found the fitness room and it had many different things to workout on. I was thinkng a pool would be located by the fitness center but no luck or maybe I just missed it. I did not find the pool, maybe there was or was not one, but I did not ask at the desk where it would be located if they did have one. We then decided to talk to the concierge who was located next to the front desk about where to go and what to see. It was around 5 pm and most of the local museums which are a short walk or a short cab drive away were closing. He recommended Navy Pier which was a short walk away. It was a nice night so it was not too bad walking. There was plenty too see there. But would be better during summertime. Some of the other attractions and clubs we saw were close too by cab.

In the morning they slipped the bill for the extras under the door which was nothing because we did not take any of the food or have parking or any other extras. We checked out by phone at noon following the directions on back of bill. It was very simple, all you have to do is leave name and room number and leave the hotel keys in the room. As we left bell hop got us a taxi which was no problem considering they are all lined up outside of hotel at all times.

Overall very enjoyable. Great locations, clean room, no noise problems, plenty to do in hotel and around hotel.

• 11 months later...

I just got done staying at the Hyatt Regency Chicago a few days back. I'll put together an extensive written review later but for now please see detailed photos I shot of my King Room on the 30th floor (#3072). The room faced North. I would Definitely stay there again. See the shots here:

http://www.realhotelphotos.com/index.php?&...0Wacker%20Drive

If the link doesn't work go to www.realhotelphotos.com and follow it this way:

Home / Illinois / Chicago / Hyatt Regency Wacker Drive

• 1 month later...

For those like me who were worried about trying the Hyatt at these ridiculously low rates, this turned out to be a lovely stay with two rooms side by side. Had a warm, birdseye view of the St. Patrick's day festivities on the river at a bargin basement price. Other than "you paid on line, we need a credit card for incidentals only" no issues or comments that we had booked through Priceline. One interesting note, in addition to the credit card, guest was asked for picture ID at check in. Every request as to room, non smoking, next door to each other, near ice machine but can't hear it was honored.

Combined cheap room with visitor's unlimited rides transit pass that worked great to get to and from event hotel that was .7 miles up Michigan Ave. No one seemed to mind hopping buses that ran every 2 or 3 minutes up and down Michigan Ave. Had to be fit as it was a long, cold, 1.5 block walk up hill from bus stop back to hotel.

Only regrets, no free internet which seems ridiculous when most economy hotels offer internet at no extra charge. Keep your hands and kids out of the minibar, opt out of extras like a refrigerator in the room for $25 extra (bring a cooler) and skip the frequently offered opportunities to upgrade the room to club level or with a view. You really can enjoy a nice stay for the price quoted. We paid not one cent extra at checkout. After dicey reveiws, the Hyatt earned 4 stars this stay and Priceline made the trip doable for family who could not afford $400+ a night at the event hotel.

This board gave me the information I needed to bid with confidence. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

just wanted to update ...

we had a fantastic time in Chicago.

I enjoyed our stay, but to be honest, I was expecting the hotel to be a little bit nicer. Our room was very small and the a/c didn't seem to work very well. Overall it was VERY hot the weekend we visited, and the whole hotel was very warm I thought, even the lobby area.

On the positive side, the hotel is located in a beautiful spot in Chicago, the river is just across the street and there are plenty of areas to walk along and enjoy the views.

thanks for all your help!

Amy

• 2 months later...

Stayed 4 nights( Aug 8-11th) for 75.00. I agree with Amy one post up, the A/C was not working well. I had the thermostat set at 65.9 and it felt more like 73F. I called to have someone look at it, and he said it wasnt at the temperature stated. It wasnt annoying enough to move rooms though.

I thought the room was nice, but the service in the hotel was not up to 4* level. They lost 2 of my ice packs and gave me major attitude about it. Also, they nickel and dime you TO DEATH. Internet is 14 plus change a night. Seems rather steep to me. If you want to use the business center, its 7.00 for 15 minutes. Parking is 50 a day( outrageous), thankfully we took the train into chicago( 8 hrs from Port Huron)

I got a fridge for free because I'm diabetic, but otherwise its 25.00 per stay. Toll free calls and 800 number calls are charged at 1.15 plus tax. I disputed the charges on the toll free calls and got a refund. The Hyatt has removed all pay phones from the lobby, so its not like you have a choice.

The hotel also has no pool, but if you want to swim, they'll give you a guest pass for the Sheraton.

Happy Travelling, Randi
  • 10 months later...

Stay: June 15 - 17, 2009.

I have gotten great help at this forum, so I really like to give something back. Hence I will write a review of our recent stay at the Hyatt Regency at downtown Chicago.

My boyfriend and I have gotten this hotel off Priceline for about $60 per night. Like many have said, our room wasn't the typical 4-star hotel room that we've expected. It was a comfy room, though, just a bit plain. There is no tub. No complimentary phone nor internet. Instead of night stand lamps, there were two desk lamps (those with adjustable arms) attached to the wall right above our bed (of which we thought we might bump our heads if we weren't careful enough). In addition, when we were checking out, we were billed for a $7 drink we've never ordered.

However, the hotel is located in a very convenient part of town. You are a within walking distance from the Magnificent Mile, the Chicago theatre, the Navy Pier and the Millennium Park. So you really can't complain!

What I would recommend to those who would like to stay in this hotel:

1) There is no complimentary Internet service. You would have to pay about $17 per hour for wi-fi, if I remembered correctly. What you can do is bring your laptop to a nearby mall. I remembered there was a sandwich shop very close by with signs that says, 'free wifi'.

2) Parking charges were outrageous - we had to pay $42 per night for valet parking in the hotel. Make sure you could find street-parking or not bring a vehicle at all!

3) Our room didn't come with a microwave. If you need to use one, there is a microwave on the Main floor by the coffee shop!

This is all for now! We had a great time at Chicago so it was a relatively good experience.

• 9 months later...

Hotel staff was always very polite, courteous and attentive. We were offered complimentary cookies and candy for our 3 year old at check-in. Can't say enough about how nice all the staff were at the front desk and concierge. However, the hotel itself felt dated, even though they had just remodeled the tower we were in. The use of dark browns for the carpet and walls in our room made it dark and I think the staff had a hard time seeing the dirt to clean it thoroughly. Our 3 year old was easily able to find it when playing on the floor. The bathroom was very nice, but they didn't clean it well on some days. Location was about a mile from a the Miracle Mile shopping area and restaurants. The walk would be nice in the summer, in the cold wind it was not so much so. Our room seemed well soundproofed except for people in the hall when right outside the room. Parking at the time of our stay was $50 a day, Internet is $14 extra charge. Note that Internet access is NOT included in your room payment.

This hotel deserves its 4* rating for the most part, but lags a little bit in appearance and is very crowded all the time, after all it is the biggest hotel in Chicago. We had a decent time and for the $79 we paid on Hotwire it was a good deal. Just be sure you constantly watch out for the extras or your good deal can get pricey quick.

BTW - Street parking near the hotel is not an option now, it is over $2 an hour and the meters run 24/7. You can park at O'Hare for $9 a day and take the train in if you are staying for several days and don't need a car. Otherwise, you WILL pay!

Also- you now do not get a guest pass to the Sheraton if you want to swim, but you may pay $25 for a one day pass to the Athletic club next door. They said it was very exclusive, but for three of us it would be $75 and that's too exclusive for me. :)

All in all I would rate this hotel a 3.9*, so close and yet...

• 1 year later...

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Chicago from 5/21 through 5/26. On a business trip from the UK, the hotel was spot on. Without exception the staff was A1, very polite, going out of their way to provide great service without being intrusive.

Stayed on 29th floor West Wing. Loved the walk in shower, big plus for me as a hate baths, bed was fine and a good nights sleep was had. Stetsons is a fab steak house, and again, the best meat I ate whilst is Chicago. The bars have a good atmosphere with plenty of drinks to choose from.

All in all, the hotel was everything I wished for from my trip to the windy city. On the weather front, first day was 90+, last was an advert for the end of the world!

:)

• 1 month later...

Stayed for one night on July 5, and I couldn't have asked for a better place! Excellent value. I had a king room on the 22nd floor of the west tower, amazing view. Room was ridiculously large, bed was super comfy (and I have some back issues to contend with), bathroom was roomy, clean and stocked. The staff at the front desk was more than accommodating, especially considering that I arrived very late (1:30am-ish) and they were contending with some rather "interesting" folks who had just arrived from the nearby U2 concert. Haha!

I didn't take advantage of any of the hotel amenities (wifi, parking, fitness, room service, restaurant, bar, etc) so I can't speak on those. The hotel overall was very clean, modern decor, seemed elegant, elevator was speedy, the halls were quiet. I'd stay there again, hands down.

The products in the bathroom were nice (can't remember the brand, but I definitely liked the hair products) and I really like that they had a back-lit magnifying mirror on an adjustable arm attached to the wall. The giant bathroom mirror was back-lit as well, which was nice for a little ambiance.

A few nit-picky things, if you're interested:

*I had an adjoining room; clearly there was NO sound barrier around the door as I heard my neighbors loud & clear. I don't think this would be a problem with regular rooms, as I heard no noise from the other rooms or the hallway.

*The toilet paper holder was mounted in a REALLY weird place, unusually close to the tank of the toilet. I realize this is petty, but when you're tired and your back hurts, having reach/bend in strange ways just to reach the TP seems silly.

Thanks Jason @ the front desk for great service!

• 1 month later...

Stayed one night 08/27/11 and purchased via Hotwire. The hotel just went under a $90 Mil renovation and looked great! We stayed in Room 1178, East Tower and it was actually a corner room. The view wasn't much as it overlooked the side/back of the hotel (Stetson) and we couldn't see the skyline or water. The room was rather small but very clean and modern looking. The bathroom products were very nice along with a travel-size toothpaste which isn't seen very often. The bed has reading lights that looked like small flashlights on either side of the bed which was also cool. The iHome to dock your iPod was also appreciated and worked great. We didn't experience any noise from other guests perhaps because it was a corner room and seemed to be away from the regular hall.

The only "problem" that I can report is this: We got to the hotel way early like 11 or 11:30am and the hotel claims check-in is 3. There were loads of people waiting in line to either check in/out and so I decided to just let them know that I made it into town and claim our room. Thinking that we couldn't get our room until 3, we went ahead and checked our bags at the bell station and tipped the porter more than the traditional amount. I got to the desk and was told that our room was actually ready and they handed over the keys. I told them about already checking the bags and tipping the porter and she said don't worry, I'll have them bring them up to the room. We immediately go up to the room and the SAME EXACT PORTER (whom we just over-tipped), brings our bags in (one small carry-on and a light duffle) , and then stands around waiting for yet another tip. Please keep in mind that our bags were actually held for 10 mins. max and I felt like we were getting nickled to death. Yes, I should've held the bags to see if our room was actually ready first, but don't beat me down for another tip after the first one was extra and you held the bags for a very short period of time. I realize they make their livelihood by these tips and all but I just didn't like how that went down.

Final thought, if you don't like "big" hotels, this is one to stay away from as it's huge! There are two towers and can be extremely busy during peak hours which seemed to be frequent. We don't like large hotels typically as you don't get the personal feel and this alone could sway us away, but the value is great considering the location and cleanliness after the renovations.

Additional thoughts: Wifi is not available in the rooms and only available in the lobby. Upon trying to briefly access wifi in the lobby, it asked me for my name and room number before allowing any connection. Based upon this, I'm guessing there would be a charge. If you say that you're not a guest, it wants to charge a ridiculous amount for 24 hrs, think it was like $36...

Only internet in the room was ethernet cable at the desk. Didn't have a laptop to check any further and the "welcome guide" didn't mention how much for a fee (if any) only how to operate the service (plug in cable to computer, duh).

The TV in the room was a nice quality 37" Panasonic. There were several ports on the back including VGA for connectivity but I didn't check to see if they were live or disabled.

• 5 months later...

On Thurs, Feb 23rd, I stayed at this property again and I have to say this property is becoming a favorite of mine. I got the room via Priceline this time and paid an really cheap rate of $55 plus tax ($71 total). I arrived an hour early and waited in line to check in. Jason D. who was working in the Gold Passport counter saw me waiting and waved me over. He was very courteous and spent much time helping me to pick out a room. Using tips from TripAdvisor, I requested a higher floor, away from the elevators. I ended up in the East Tower Room 1172 and was very pleased. My room overlooked the front of the hotel (facing Wacker) and I could see North Michigan, Wrigley Building, and Marilyn Monroe statue. I had a King size bed, nice bath products again including toothpaste, and was reasonably quiet for the hotel's size.

The only real disappointment is the TV (Panasonic Plasma TH-37PR9U) which wasn't a huge deal. The reception for the local ABC/NBC affiliates was awful and nearly unwatchable with lots of interference lines going down the screen. My best comparison would be trying to watch an old TV with rabbit ears while someone in the kitchen runs the mixer on high. Another bizarre twist about the TV stations was no access to WGN (local channel). I can see the Tribune Tower from my window but it's not in the channel listings?? Lastly, there was no HDMI connections on the TV and I didn't bring any devices to see if the single VGA port was enabled.

Overall, I would definitely stay there again esp. if I can snag another night for what hotels typically charge of parking in downtown Chi.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]