Priceline Hotel: Midtown hotel in New York

nightowlqueen
By nightowlqueen,
in

This is my first time here and it's a little confusing! With the cost of flights so high, I would like to try and get my three night hotel stay cheaper, especially as the main reason for my trip is only to buy shoes!! London does not cater for narrow feet, in case you were wondering.

For this reason I would like to stay in Midtown East, maybe the Doubletree Metropolitan. I do not want the Hudson. Stayed there last time and rooms miniscule, even though I'll be travelling alone!

I also do not want to be near Times Sq. If I can find something for 4th to 7th September 2010 it would be great.

Can you help, please?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What is your desired star rating and budget? Have you already done any bidding? If so, which zones, star level and bids were you turned away with?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi.

Not done any bidding, wanted some advice first as was a little confused by it all - where to post and bid etc. Thanks for moving to correct place! Have always stayed in 3.5 star, hence Doubletree, so preferably looking for same, but would obviously go to 4 star if price and area were right. As I said before only really want Midtown East, somewhere around the Doubletree Metropolitan area, as this is near where I need to go. I'm not looking to sightsee, only to shop! Would consider Midtown West but can't risk getting Hudson!

Thanks!

Hi there!

Maybe it's wrong, but I hadn't really thought about a max price/budget. I'm just looking to save money and try and get it a lot cheaper than prices I've been quoted online from sites like Expedia. For example the Doubletree Metropolitan was approx $282 per night, converting from UK pounds. Any help on how to achieve the best price would be most appreciated. It's difficult to judge because I've read about people achieving great hotels for half the price! If I could get the Doubletree or similar for about $150 then I would definitely take it!

first bid times square 4* @ $195, added mid town west - bid $185, added mid town east - bid $175 - added 3.5* and $155 - accepted

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $155.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Room Subtotal: $310.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $68.12 (USD)

Total Room Cost: $378.12 (USD)

fyi - 30sec ago i literally just won 09/05 - 09/07 with doubletree at $155/night
Please share your win with the board as a NEW TOPIC so that others will be aware of it when searching the topic titles on the board and the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

As I said before only really want Midtown East, somewhere around the Doubletree Metropolitan area, as this is near where I need to go.
You can't bid on a specific hotel nor can you pintpoint only a certain part of the zone, are you willing to accept a hotel anywhere within the shaded boundary of the MTE zone? (NOTE: at the 3.5* level this includes the Millennium UN which may be a bit far east, but given you're not a 'tourist' this trip, perhaps this would be fine for your needs?)

You should set a maximum bid, not based upon what others on the board have received, but based upon what you would need to spend if you booked something thru conventional booking channels... then discount the best available rate thru traditional booking channels to account for the 'unknown' and 'not choosing the hotel' thru PRICELINE. You can then use the previous bidding information for a bidding strategy, but not necessarily to set your maximum bid.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Millenium is not so much too far east as too low down! I have stayed at the Bentley before, which by the way I wouldn't mind, in the Upper East, but I really don't want to be down as far as 44th Street. Somewhere between the Doubletree Met and the Bentley would suit just fine. I do realise that I can't bid on a specific hotel or pinpoint the area, but I just want to try and get as near to what I want as possible. I don't quite understand your explanation about setting my bid based upon what I need to spend .....then discount the best....etc.

If you can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated and also the exact steps that I need to take when bidding.

The Millenium is not so much too far east as too low down! I don't quite understand your explanation about setting my bid based upon what I need to spend .....then discount the best....etc.

More or less - what level of discount would be worthwhile to not know what you are going to get in advance.

In terms of bidding, one has to be willing to be anywhere within the zone they are bidding for. I'm thinking HOTWIRE - which is a bit more expensive, but one can make an educated guess as to what's showing - may be a better choice in this instance.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

OK, I think I understand now, but based on what I've said previously where and how do you think I should bid? Am I likely to get something if I just bid for ME? Should I go for UE? My problem is that I want to walk (mostly) everywhere and not take cabs or subway. Or can you not answer without me telling you what my maximum budget is?

Please stick with the standard font and colors on the board unless you're trying to highlight something... just makes things easier to read when you read over a hundred posts per day. :)

Am I likely to get something if I just bid for ME?
We need to have an idea of your budget... if you're only willing to spend $50 then no, you wont likely get anything... if you're willing to spend $300 then yes, you will get something. Obviously an extreme example, but an extreme example to show how we can't answer this question without having an idea of your budget.

Including more zones helps you get the best deal possible since it gives more hotels the ability to accept your bid, but if there are zones, or hotels on the zone, that you don't wish to receive then obviously you shouldn't include them.

My problem is that I want to walk (mostly) everywhere and not take cabs or subway.
The subways are your friend (even if the poeple on them may not be :) )... you should try to use them, just as locals do everyday, as it's the fastest, most efficient and economical, way to get around the city. You'll still do a LOT of walking, but if you use the subways you'll also likely have 2x-3x more time on your hands to see and do more stuff vs. if you only walked (or took the bus) everywhere.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please stick with the standard font and colors on the board unless you're trying to highlight something... just makes things easier to read when you read over a hundred posts per day. :)
That's the first time that I've been 'reprimanded' for using a particular font/colour in a forum! Sorry if it made things difficult for you.
We need to have an idea of your budget... if you're only willing to spend $50 then no, you wont likely get anything... if you're willing to spend $300 then yes, you will get something. Obviously an extreme example, but an extreme example to show how we can't answer this question without having an idea of your budget.
I'd like to say $150 including taxes, but looking at what people have won recently I don't think that's realistic? But with the chance of getting the Millenium UN (which I don't really want) I don't want to go much higher. The only two areas I will consider are MTE and MTW.
The subways are your friend (even if the poeple on them may not be :) )... you should try to use them, just as locals do everyday, as it's the fastest, most efficient and economical, way to get around the city. You'll still do a LOT of walking, but if you use the subways you'll also likely have 2x-3x more time on your hands to see and do more stuff vs. if you only walked (or took the bus) everywhere.
I do take the subway sometimes, but I usually just prefer to walk! :o

If you can offer some help based on this info it would be great and thanks for all your help and patience!

You need to let up on the specific area if you're trying to get what you're thinking you're going to get under $150. Add a zone or two each bid within your boundaries. NYC ain't cheap. The blocks may seem big, but you can get to many parts of where you're trying to just by walking a little.

The blocks may seem big, but you can get to many parts of where you're trying to just by walking a little.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I really don't like the Times Sq area and CPS would be great if it weren't for the Hudson. While I do enjoy a walk I still think 20 blocks or more is quite a lot! I have however done it, but don't want to this time.

NYC is expensive during the prime seasons, but prices are definitely higher this year than last year and the year before. Unfortunately, $150 including taxes is not going to be realistic. This is a busy weekend (although Monday is moderately better), and I think you're probably looking at at least $150-175 (bid, before taxes/fees) for a 3.5*, and possibly as much as $200+, if discounts are not aggressive due to hotels feeling that there is going to be significant walk-in traffic due to the holiday period.

In terms of shopping, if you're flexible on destination, Chicago's less expensive for these dates and you could shop on State St and Michigan Ave. :)

Thank you for using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Unfortunately, $150 including taxes is not going to be realistic.
That's why I wanted some help on what my maximum should be! I thought $150 minus tax might be too low.
This is a busy weekend (although Monday is moderately better), and I think you're probably looking at at least $150-175 (bid, before taxes/fees) for a 3.5*, and possibly as much as $200+, if discounts are not aggressive due to hotels feeling that there is going to be significant walk-in traffic due to the holiday period.

Don't really want to go much higher than $150/175 plus taxes. Is it worth a go??

In terms of shopping, if you're flexible on destination, Chicago's less expensive for these dates and you could shop on State St and Michigan Ave. :)
Never been to Chicago, but as I'm travelling alone and know NY and the specific shops that I need to go to, it's probably easier to stick with that. Otherwise it's even more hours (than I already spend) researching on the net! Many thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Thank you for using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches

If you do reconsider Chicago, I would be happy to offer suggestions, and regular rates for a 4* are as low as $120-130 for these dates.

If you are not interested in the Millennium UN hotel, then unfortunately that would take MTE 3.5* bidding out of the picture. MTW is traditionally expensive; $150-175 has a light chance and is worth trying, but as noted above, it may take $200+ if discounts are not aggressive for the holiday period. Worst case scenario, the bids aren't accepted up to $175 and then you can be aware and move on to look at other alternatives.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

If you do reconsider Chicago, I would be happy to offer suggestions, and regular rates for a 4* are as low as $120-130 for these dates.
Thanks, I'll give it some thought. And would have to check out cost of flights!
If you are not interested in the Millennium UN hotel, then unfortunately that would take MTE 3.5* bidding out of the picture. MTW is traditionally expensive; $150-175 has a light chance and is worth trying, but as noted above, it may take $200+ if discounts are not aggressive for the holiday period. Worst case scenario, the bids aren't accepted up to $175 and then you can be aware and move on to look at other alternatives.
When bidding, what is a good strategy? Should I include as an extra bid somewhere that does not have a 3.5* hotel, to increase my number of bids per day?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Assuming you're bidding MTE and MTW and want to try up to a $175 bid amount...

At the 3.5* level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTE...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW and MTE...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]