Priceline Hotel: 3* Montreal (Longueuil) Gouverneur Ile Charron

By 0504,
in

Hello :) I'm new to bidding on hotel rooms, but I figured it would be a nice way to be able to upgrade from my usual hostel-accommodation to something a little more comfortable (on a slightly bigger budget). I'm currently planning a 5.5 week post-graduation trip in Canada (I'm from the Netherlands), so any help is greatly appreciated!

In this case, I'm looking for a hotel room in Montr

Welcome to BetterBidding!

To begin... did you want to bid up to your limit for a 3*, then if rejected bid up to your limit for a 2.5* OR is your goal the least expensive 2.5* or better for this stay? Did you want to include Longueuil in your bidding from the beginning... or only once you've exhausted your Downtown bidding?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

To confirm... you want to try for a 2.5* hotel in the Downtown zone up to your limit, if that is rejected, then try again while including Longueuil. Is that correct?

Which dates have you decided upon?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, indeed, although I just saw that the quoted average prices were lower for the 3* hotels in these zones, so maybe I'd better try for a 3*? I'm not sure how/if that'd work though. Dates are flexible, so either option is fine by me. Let's start with the 30th of August to the 2nd of September!

The star rating you select is the minimum you're willing to accept... PRICELINE will always attempt to upgrade you if a higher rated hotel is available. So when you select 2.5* PRICELINE will first check 5*, Resort, 4*, 3.5*, 3* and then 2* hotels (in that order)... so you bid 2.5* and a 3* hotel has the lowest available price, then you'll be awarded the 3* hotel.

Given the above, do you want to try 3* first or 2.5*?

Unfortunately you don't have any re-bid zones available when bidding 2.5* in Montreal, but with some time on your side i would try the following:

For 8/30-9/2 select 2.5* and bid $45.

If the above is rejected you can wait 24 hours and bid again, increasing your bid by $5 every 24 hours, which will have yo to your maximum bid in 3-4 days.

Alternately you could change your dates to 8/30-9/3 and try bidding $50.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I started bidding before your last reply, opened up to the idea of staying in Longueuil, and ended up getting the Gouverneur Ile Charron for $58/night from the 30th of August until the 2nd of September. Not the best of deals, but I'm reasonably okay with this.

I started bidding before your last reply, opened up to the idea of staying in Longueuil, and ended up getting the Gouverneur Ile Charron for $58/night from the 30th of August until the 2nd of September. Not the best of deals, but I'm reasonably okay with this.

Correction: It seems like the hotel can't be reached through public transportation at all.... This is very inconvenient for me! I've contacted both the hotel and PRICELINE and am waiting for their reply.

I did use your links, right? :) Both Priceline and the hotel sent a reply - the hotel replied that I should take a taxi to get to the hotel, Priceline replied that I signed the contract and they can't do anything for me at all. They did offer me $10 bonus cash, but that is of little consolation at this point - I mean, what are the chances of ending up with a hotel that's within city limits, but simply can't be reached by anything other than by car? I expected a little more consideration from an organization as experienced as theirs, so I won't be using the service again.

I've never been to Montreal so not familiar with their mass transit sytem, but it's probably not reasonable to expect every hotel in the zone (especially if not in the Downtown zone) to be accessible via mass transit. Have you inquired as to how close you can get via mss transit so that you can reduce your taxi expense? Or perhaps there is a 'shared van' shuttle service which could make the trip more affordable?

The mass transit system reaches there just fine (and this I checked when picking the zones as well) - it's just that the hotel is on an island connected to the main land via a tunnel system only. This means I'll have to get a taxi every time I go to the city, just to get across the tunnel. Highly inconvenient, and this I could not possibly foresee, imho.

I started bidding before your last reply, opened up to the idea of staying in Longueuil
Highly inconvenient, and this I could not possibly foresee, imho.

:)

how could you not forsee the possibility of a hotel accepting your bid in the zone of your choice? Did you assume that all hotels in Logueuil have convenient access to public transportation?

No, but I checked the extent to which Longueuil was covered by the public transportation network, established that it was mostly covered (in fact there's a metro stop a few blocks north of the north exit of the tunnel), and decided it would be fine to walk to the hotels that weren't "conveniently covered". As I've told you, there is absolutely no other way to get to the hotel other than by car, i.e. I can't even walk there. This I couldn't foresee without checking the entire grid before bidding. I didn't do so, because what are the odds of a hotel being built on an island that's only accessible through a motorvehicle-only tunnel? I hadn't heard of that before - there's usually other means to get to and from islands within an urban area (bridges, ferries, etc.) as well, all of which I would've been fine with.

Anyhow, I'll be bugging taxi drivers to drive me through the tunnel each and every time I have to go to or from the island, just to hop on the metro a few blocks down the street. It's not impossible - it's just inconvenient and something I didn't take into account at all, hence I'm not very happy with the outcome.

This hotel is a bit of a special circumstance, it's on an island between Montreal and Longueuil, so it's not covered by transit from either city, no pedestrian access, and simply isolated from everything else.

Unless you have a car, i'd say this particular property is a great reason to avoid the Longueuil zone when bidding. Buyer Beware.

You put yourself in quite the conundrum. You never should have added Longueil as an option. It's no where near Downtown Montreal and the amount you're going to spend on taxi's getting downtown will be huge!! At a minimum I would say $30-$40 each way and traffic is atrocious.

If I were you I'd chalk it up as a loss and bid again ONLY for downtown Montreal.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]