Priceline Hotel: 3* New Orleans (Downtown) Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza

dealseeker10
By dealseeker10,
in

Staying in New Orleans 12/9-12/11 so just looking for something w/a good price and nice hotel. I bid 3 times on Priceline last night and all bids rejected. The areas I chose were: Downtown, FQ, Convention Center, Warehouse Arts, and Garden District b/c I figured these would put us close to the action. For 4.5, 4, and 3 star my bids of $38, $39, $41 were rejected.

I bid so low in case parking would be charged. It will be 3 adults staying. Should I just put in 2 adults? Any advice? My budget is to stick to $65 if at all possible. Are these areas close to the touristy scene?

On Hotwire, I see a Downtown 4 star for $79 nightly. Any guesses? 3.5 rating on Tripadvisor. And these are the amenities: 4-star hotel in Downtown New Orleans. This hotel features the following amenities: Fitness Center Pool(s) Restaurant(s) Business Center High-speed Internet Access

BUT it says they may charge parking. Help is needed. Thanks!!!! If I have to pay parking I'd like to stick to $80 max w/parking included. Is this doable?

I want to be within walking distance of the sights, although we are driving. I hear the FQ/Downtown are best for this. Staying in New Orleans 12/9-12/11 so just looking for something w/a good price and nice hotel. I bid 3 times on Priceline last night and all bids rejected. The areas I chose were: Downtown, FQ, Convention Center, Warehouse Arts, and Garden District b/c I figured these would put us close to the action. For 4.5, 4, and 3 star my bids of $38, $39, $41 were rejected.

I bid so low in case parking would be charged. It will be 3 adults staying. Should I just put in 2 adults? Any advice? My budget is to stick to $65 if at all possible. Are these areas close to the touristy scene? And I don't want to lower the stars although I saw the Ambassador hotel is 2 star and seems nice, but I don't want to get crappy hotel.

Any advice?

dealseeker10

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please keep all posts in the same thread since posts are for the same dates. We will edit and move your thread in the end.

It will be 3 adults staying. Should I just put in 2 adults? Any advice?
PRICELINE only guarantee a room for two adults, that could mean one bed. Is this a risk you're willing to take?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Yellowdog.

If you're factoring $30 for parking i think it's going to be somewhat difficult to keep your costs under $65/nite, as that only leaves ~$35/nite for the hotel room (even more difficult if you're including taxes/fees)

If the parking is the obstacle to your success, and you're willing to put up with a little inconvenience, you could park at the airport for ~$10/day, then take the local bus to Downtown. The bus is cheap (~$1.50) but takes time and depending upon day of the week may involve a transfer (drop 2 people at the hotel to check-in and start having fun in the FQ while the one other person parks the car and make the journey back to Downtown without any luggage/bags). I don't necessarily recommend this, but if the cost of parking is what is keeping from you winning a hotel and having a decent place to stay, then it could be worth the time it will take to do this... $20 parking for 2 days and $5RT for the bus... $25 vs. $60 savings you $35, or another $15-$20/nite to spend o a hotel room.

Thoughts?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too! Please click this PRICELINE link before replying.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the advice. No on the bus :-) I apologize, but I meant that my budget is $65 (excluding parking), so that will leave me at $95 a night inclusive of parking. I'm not sure how Priceline counts star ratings. The Ambassador hotel is about a 2 or 2.5 star on their site and 3 on others, and it looked pretty decent. But I didn't want to choose a 2.5 star and get a crummy hotel.

So, it looks like I need to stay Downtown/FQ as I heard the Garden district is too far. So, I need more advice. Do you think the $65 bid is feasible for 4, 3.5, or 3 star? I'm going to start at $44 and work my way up, or is that not smart? I've bid on Priceline before and I'd like to do it through this site, but I'd like to bid smart as well...

Thanks

Are you willing to pay more for a higher rated hotel OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this stay?

In other words, did you want to bid up to your $65 limit for a 4* hotel, if that is rejected bid up to $65 for a 3.5*, and if that is rejected try up to $65 for a 3*... or do you just wanted the least expensive 3* or better in the French Quarter or Downtown zones?

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am willing to pay more for a higher rated hotel. I would like to bid $65 for a 4 star and work my way down from there. However, I would like to work my way up to $65. So, yes, you are correct. If it is rejected, I will move to 3.5 star with a lower bid, and then to 3 star. This is exactly what I want so you are right. And I have $50 bonus cash from PRICELINE. Thanks!

Note that the bonus money is not $50 but $10 per nite (so really only $20 given your one room/two nite stay)

Please note that you can still use your Bonus Cash along with the board's PRICELINE links as follows...

1) click the PRICELINE link on the board

2) go to the MY PROFILE >> MY REWARDS link at the top right of their home page

3) use the bonus money link in the MY REWARDS section of your profile (not a link from an email) and bid as usual

At the 3.5* level you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* French Quarter...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Downtown...

Select 3.5* French Quarter and Downtown...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Wow! Thanks for the advice. So, should I start here:

4 Star FQ

Bid $45 (Now what is re-bid zone?? Bidding again at a Higher price, or choosing another zone...Downtown?

if rejected...add

3.5 star bid $45 Is this correct, or am I being stupid? Sorry!

and then bid $45 for 3 star? and keep going up from there.

It looks like both downtown and FQ have the same star levels. Thanks!

I read the link you sent and this is what I got from it. Sorry for the multiple questions.

Sorry, not sure why i left of the 4* bidding, let's revise...

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones... at the 3.5* level you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown and French Quarter...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Downtown...

Bid $65

A re-bid zones is a zone which only contains star levels lower than the star level you have chosen. So when bidding 4* a re-bid zone is one which only contains star levels less than 3.5*... when bidding 3.5* a re-bid zones is one which only contains star levels 3* and lower, and so-on. To learn how to determine your re-bid zones, please see this thread: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained. Since you're new to re-bidding it's highly recommended that you confirm your re-bid zones with the board before bidding (or if you read the previous thread and are confused just post back and we'll break it down further for you)

Sorry, not sure why i left of the 4* bidding, let's revise...

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones... at the 3.5* level you have TWO re-bid zones (Isn't this 4 re-bid zones w/3*, 2.5*, 2* & 1* in both DT and FQ zone). If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding. (Understood about FIVE re-bid zones...3.5*, 3*, and so on...)

Select 4* Downtown and French Quarter...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone... (I would add 3.5* as re bid zone?)

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone... (I would add 3* as re bid zone?)

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone... (I would add 2.5* as rebid zone?

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Downtown...

Bid $65

A re-bid zones is a zone which only contains star levels lower than the star level you have chosen. So when bidding 4* a re-bid zone is one which only contains star levels less than 3.5*... when bidding 3.5* a re-bid zones is one which only contains star levels 3* and lower, and so-on. To learn how to determine your re-bid zones, please see this thread: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained. Since you're new to re-bidding it's highly recommended that you confirm your re-bid zones with the board before bidding (or if you read the previous thread and are confused just post back and we'll break it down further for you)

I bolded all my questions. Thanks! Understood about the re-bid zones. Should I bid on DT and FQ first, or should I start w/FQ? I've never been to NO, but I want to be in center of everything (and NICE hotel). So this is what I'm looking at bidding:

Select 4* French Quarter (or DT too if you think it's best??)

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone... 3.5* (add DT? so I'm essentially still bidding up)

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone... 3* on both DT and FQ

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone... (I DON'T want 2.5* as I'm not sure of quality??

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone... Don't want 2* and below

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone... (bid more money?)

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and

I'm not a fan of the PRICELINE FQ hotels. You're sure to get stuck with parking and the Convention/Arts District provides easy access and relatively short (10 minute) walking distance to the FQ. Some of these hotels in this district are very nice and always a lot quieter than staying in the FQ. In addition, if one of yor party wants to curtail the partying early, just a short walk back to the hotel and some peace and quiet!

dealseeker10,

You're off the mark on the re-bid concept... so don't bid just yet until we're on the same page.

Start with the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter New Orleans and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest tar rating offered n the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

At the end of the day, I just want a hotel that's near the food, music, and tourist attractions (Jackson Square, etc) as we're staying a few days before a cruise. And from what I understand, parking is charged everywhere. Even from the convention/arts district. I'm not picky on whether I stay in the FQ or not. I think it would just be near all the touristy stuff, we wouldn't have to drive much. A nice cheap hotel is fine with me. If you have any suggestions, throw them out there. I've never been to NO, so I need suggestions on touristy things as well (CHEAP of course). I do like (LOVE) the Renaissance Arts hotel in the Convention Arts district, so I'll need to see if PL has this hotel in their inventory. On to the bids thereuare:

Convention/Arts: 4* to 2*

Downtown: 4*,3.5*,3*,2.5*,2*1*

FQ: 4*,3.5*,3*,2.5*,2*1*

Garden: 2.5*,2*,1* (This one is out of the question) :-)

As I said, I've never been to NO, so I don't know what's best. I'm bringing my mother with me and she's not a partier. Neither one of us is. We just want to do the touristy things w/o driving around and getting lost. Jazz clubs, beignets, paddleboat tours (if I can find cheap one), take in the scenery, etc. So, if we can ride the streetcar, then I don't mind staying in the convention/arts district. I just want us to be somewhere nice and do fun things before we cruise w/o having to worry about getting lost. I figured being in the FQ/Downtown would put us the middle of that w/o getting suckered into those tourist tours--we can do the same thing on our own for far cheaper. I'm checking out their visitor's bureau site too for attractions. THEREUARE: THANK U VERY KINDLY FOR TAKING THE TIME OUT TO HELP ME! It is appreciated more than you will ever know.

We're happy to help...

You're part of the way there, but you need to do the above 'exercise' for all the zones in the region, not just those four. Also, it will be easier to explain the next step if you post only the highest star rating in the zone, not all the star ratings offered in the zone. Here is the list of all the zones in the area, please repeat what you did above for each of these zones, listing next to each the highest star rating offered:

Convention Center and Warehouse - Arts District - 4*

Downtown New Orleans - 4*

French Quarter - 4*

Garden District - 2.5*

Metairie - Harahan - ??

New Orleans Airport (MSY) - ??

New Orleans East - ??

New Orleans West Bank - ??

Hopefully, I got it right this time. These are the highest star ratings in the ones I left off.

Convention Center and Warehouse - Arts District - 4*

Downtown New Orleans - 4*

French Quarter - 4*

Garden District - 2.5*

Metairie - Harahan 3.5*

New Orleans Airport (MSY) 3.5*

New Orleans East 2*

New Orleans West Bank 3*

So, I'm thinking the strategy is this: Selected DT/FW 4* (if rejected add a rebid zone with a rating lower than 4* (3.5* or lower), which still means I'm bidding on the same hotel?

Thanks!

You got it! :)

The only thing i'll clarify is this:

...which still means I'm bidding on the same hotel?
You're still bidding on the same zone... since with PRICELINE you're not bidding on a specific hotel, but rather any hotel in the zone at the minimum star rating you designate.

So with your FIVE re-bid zones i would bid as follows:

Select 4* FQ/DT...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65

Any questions feel free to ask.

PL keeps telling me I'm bidding duplicate times. This is the second day in a row this has happened. Here's what I did.

Select 4* Convention/Arts/DT...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone... (actually $35 w/$10 bonus cash) New Orleans East Added

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone... Garden District Added (Also 3.5 added)

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone... New Orleans West Bank Added (Also added 3*)

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone... added FQ

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone... was too scared to add this high. I'm trying to cover the $30 parking lol

Bid $65 (If I can get a 4 star straight up I will do so)

Don't know if I need to wait the 72 hours I have been hearing about or what. Did I do anything wrong by being scared to bid higher.

Many thanks

PRICELINE keeps telling me I'm bidding duplicate times. This is the second day in a row this has happened. Here's what I did.

Select 4* Convention/Arts/DT...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone... (actually $35 w/$10 bonus cash) New Orleans East Added

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone... Garden District Added (Also 3.5 added)

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone... New Orleans West Bank Added (Also added 3*)

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone... added FQ

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone... was too scared to add this high. I'm trying to cover the $30 parking lol

Bid $65 (If I can get a 4 star straight up I will do so)

Don't know if I need to wait the 72 hours I have been hearing about or what. Did I do anything wrong by being scared to bid higher.

Many thanks

update: I think it's because I added in the star levels before I finished my max bid on the 4*, so I should have started over essentially when I was bidding on 3.5* and 3*. Silly me!

You don't want to lower your star rating and increase your bid price at the same time as you have done before... if you decide to lower your star rating post back for a new/different strategy.

I'm not sure what you're saying on your last two bids about 1) being afraid to bid that high and 2) if you can get a 4* hotel "straight up".

If/when you lower your star raitng you can't "UNcheck" any zones previously selected, so you'll need to close the browser, use a PRICELINE link on the board to re-access, and then select 3.5* and begin your bidding at that star level (again, if you decide to lower your star rating feel free to ask for a bidding strategy as you'll then have different/fewer re-bid zones)

I'm still not following 100% regarding your 'outright' bid, but if you're ok then we're ok :) If you do need help with the next round of bidding just ask and we'll advise accordingly.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]