Hotwire Hotel: that's what I get for being an elitist

hawksmoor
By hawksmoor,
in

I decided to go to Chicago on the weekend of March 18-20, because it was the only weekend I could see the opera AND Shakespeare AND the symphony--so I bought expensive tickets to all three. It didn't occur to me (half-Irish though I be) that there might be a little matter of St. Patrick's Day bringing hordes to the city at the same time, thus driving up hotel prices painfully. I made a priceline bid starting at $75 dollars and I thought I heard snickering at the other end. No wonder--the Red Roof Inn, for God's sake, is asking $199 a night for that period. HOTWIRE offered things too rich for my blood. So I'm beginning to panic. Should I settle for what I can get now before everything is gone, or hang on more toward the last minute? What should I start my bidding at in a tight situation like this so I am not a laughingstock, or more importantly, end up with something decent that does not strain my already herniated budget? Any advice would be appreciated. Don't hate me because I'm (the poor man's) Frasier.

Bid the burbs right away .... and hope that a rev manager somewhere forgot to raise rates.... I bet you will hit one. It's amazing how many people have won 3*'s in the low $30's ... It really is worth a shot.

Than, you'll only have to worry about transportation????

I see what appears to be the Swiss for 3/18-3/20 for $169 a night on HOTWIRE. Otherwise, the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza deal suggested by the moderator would be good. If you stay outside the city, I always recommend people stay in Evanston, which is a town just North of the city that has more than 1 transit option (both CTA and Metra trains) to get downtown. There's a Hilton, a BW and the older, elegant Orrington hotel in Evanston.

Thanks for everyone's help--I didn't reply sooner because I decided to go with the suggestion of the Mart Plaza for $109, but when I made my request on Friday, the site said they'd let me now in 48 hours! Which they DIDN'T, so I had to call their help line which after being on hold a half-hour, confirmed my reservation--I think. They won't be able to send me the confirmation number until tomorrow morning! This has all been nerve-racking, and if I hadn't had nonrefundable theater/opera tickets I would I cancelled the whole deal. (I hope the snakes go back to Ireland.) But again, thanks for those who took the time to consider my plight. As I get more familiar with navigating this site, I'll try to return the favor.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to warn everyone away from the website I was directed to--"EasyClickTravel Travel.com", unless you want to repeat the nightmare experience of getting a confirmation from them, only to show up at the hotel to find you've got no reservation after all. Oh, they'll be glad to relocate you, if you call them up and spend endless amounts of valuable vacation time on hold, or stress yourself out by screaming at them so they'll pay attention to your plight. I would say more, but I want to bury the memories, not dredge them up. But to hell with these people.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]