Priceline Hotel: 5* Singapore (City Hall-Marina Bay) Conrad Centennial

pamelajean
By pamelajean,
in

:) Well I join the ranks of failed bidders for Singapore! I have never had so many failed bids on PRICELINE!

Clicking on the ever convenient PRICELINE link here on better bidding I have bid:

on 7/13 up to $93 (using city hall then rebids on east coast finnacial and riverside) (hoping for the Conrad)

on 7/15 up to $95 (using above and adding orchard- thinking, well the Hilton would be okay)

Got a little desperated - so I bid on the PRICELINE Singapore site - but you can only submit one bid a day - I am up to 80 - but don't know if it is the same database or not.

then on 7/16 I bid every possible configuration - including splitting my bid by ONE DAY AT A TIME. up to 104

on 7/17 I went up to $120 - bidding for the whole stay and then splitting off only the first 2 days.

I got creative and closed browsers and varied combinations!

today I bid again on the stategy of 7/13 above up to 95 but got nada.

and last night I made a back up reservation at Pan Pacific using an America PRICELINE EXPRESS rate of singapore $255 adn $220 which averages out to about $176 a night. That is DOUBLE what I want to pay - yikes! But I've never been to singapore, and am a woman traveling alone with two young girls so I don't want to stay in Hotel 81 in the red light district!!! :)

To bid higher sounds like I might get the marriott for $150 - but think I would rather have the Pan Pacific for $176? Any thoughts from those who have been? I see I can get the Albert Court Village for $120 on Expedia but that looks like QUITE a step down.

Waiting is the way to go huh?

Any other "deals" out there besides PRICELINE that I should look at - THANKS!

Detail question- does anyone know what the 5* in bugis is? Intercontinental? Is it safe to stay in bugis? Not to close to the seedy stuff?

I don't have firsthand experience bidding this area but i think you have a fine gameplan in place... you have an acceptable back-up and just keep bidding it 2-3 times per week, hopefully some lower priced inventory will present itself.

However, with hotel direct rates at the Conrad starting at $260US even your $120 bids are well under half of a conventional booking.

Also, it sounds as if you'll be triple occupancy, keep in mind that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, and hotel rooms outside of North America are often small and accommodating more than two can often be an issue.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us udpated and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Keep trying with the add on of non 5* areas. The Conrad often goes for under $100 and is a good property. You might check and see if the convention center next door is active when you are going. Remember out logging out and rebidding.

Start

Orchard 5* bid $81/85/87 by adding non 5* areas

City Hall 5* bid $75, add Orchard & $80 accepted

Hi PamelaJean,

Firstly don't panic. I have been to Singapore many times over the last 36 odd years. It is one of the safest places on this planet! I would walk any back street in Singapore and not be worried. Chinatown in SG is one of the cleanest Chinatowns in the world. Singaporeans don't tolerate crime. If you break the law you are in jail!

My fully refundable back up deal just in case! I got a rate of 184US a night on otels.com for the Pan Pac for 13 to 21st March 2011 which included the Singapore taxes payable on all hotel rooms (11% + a further 7% per SG dollar for each night stayed)and buffet breakfasts. I have not checked whether priceline includes the SG taxes in their tarrif or not. If you haven't paid the fees when you book the hotel will charge you when you pay your bill.

You will love SG. Both Marina Bay and Orchard Rd are really great places to stay. Just check Tripadvisor for reviews if you are considering a hotel. I have stayed at the Marina Mandarin, Swissotel Stamford, the Fairmont and the Merchant Court and many years ago the Orchard Parade on Orchard Rd(its old and jaded) My daughter stayed at the Park Hotel City Hall which is a little older now but still pretty good. Location wise IMO Swissotel/Fairmont is the perfect location because they are over the MRT (magic fast train that takes you anywhere!)

Also everyone loves the Oriental.....

Cheers

M :)

PS

I think you will find that in Singapore hotel rooms are a fairly good size unless you are booking budget rooms. I think the Conrad and the Hilton as well as the Pan Pac standard rooms are about 40 square metres. The Swissotel are about 28 and the Marina Mandarin start at about 32. In a 4 or 5 star hotel in Singapore generally children under 12 years of age are allowed to share existing bedding in a room without extra charge so if you book a room you may wish to request a double/double room whish is usually is 2 queen size beds in a room. My son was able to share a triple room with us in Singapore many years ago and he was 13. Just send an enquiry email to the hotel before bidding and make sure your girls can share a room with you. Sometimes a hotel will charge a nominal fee like $30SG for an extra person in a room.

FYI Holiday Inn has newly refurbished family rooms and is a pretty good deal if you can't get a good deal via bidding. They have their own website.

Just and update - after seeing a singapore win on the boards I was encouraged and set out (through this link to PRICELINE) to win my hotel. Still no luck. Bid first trying for Conrad bor City Hall with rebid zones from $85 up to $110- no luck

Closed Browser. Bid starting with Orchard Road (bidding for Hilton, most likely) starting at 77, using rebids up to $99. No luck. Will keep trying but beginning to wonder if my dates are bad (big event in town??)

If you do book the Holiday Inn as a back-up please note from our support page that we are an affiliate of the Holiday Inn.

In addition to the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board, please check for and use the links in the support page for your hotel direct purchases whenever possible.

THANKS!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

:) Count me in I have been attempting to bid for several days now for October 4-6. All attempts have failed including bids as high as 111$. I am also hoping to get the Hilton or Conrad. I know that I will have to bid a little higher as the weekend rate tends to be better than a weekday rate. I am assuming I am too early. Hopefully the theory of bidding closer to the dates requested will be successful. :)

I got it through priceline (27-29 september)- weekdays check in.
Can you please share your win(s) with the board as a NEW TOPIC so that the information can help others and they'll know about your win for these dates when searching the topic titles on the board and the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Cansunseeker,

If you'd like help with your own stay feel free to start a NEW TOPIC.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's about time! I've been bidding, F-O-R-E-V-E-R -and finally (after clicking through the PRICELINE link on this most excellent site!!) I get at least one night of my three in Singapore.

Clearly Singapore is so different than any other country I've bid for - there are very few week days won. And the weekends that are won are won close to the stay, not months or even weeks out. I would have loved to win for my whole stay - but will settle for one night at $88 since the Conrad is almost $300 a night for that day!

Here are the dates:

Check-In Date: Friday, September 3, 2010

Check-Out Date: Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hotel Name: Conrad Centennial Singapore

Two Temasek Boulevard

Singapore, Singapore

65-63348888

Your Offer Price: US$88.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: US$88.00

Taxes and Fees: US$23.50

Total Charges: US$111.50

Congratulations on your success!

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding :)

Looks like a nice deal for you :)

We hope you're satisfied with the outcome and will like the hotel.

If you need any help with the rest of your stay so please start a new topic.

Enjoy your stay.

Yellowdog.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]