Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Phoenix (Airport PHX) Crowne Plaza

chasman
By chasman,
in

Heading down to the PHX area 31 March - 5 of April (5 nights) for golfing with buddies. I've been to Scottsdale before so know the general area. I am a sucker for good value and it appears some folks have snagged the Marriott for $42 and the Buttes for $47. I realize it's spring break time (sort of) so might have to bid a bit more. Both places appear to retail for $199 on those dates at the moment.

Any local advice on which of these 2 hotels would be "better"?

How soon should I bid?

Any golf course recommendations under $50?

I saw that squeegeekid got a free 4th night at the Marriott??? If so, how?

We are low maintenance 36 year old married guys, so will probably be out golfing and at the bars most of the time. Yet. it's fun to stay at a nice place. I've read mixed reviews on both places.

I've used this BB and PL a lot in the past so am familiar with bidding strategies, etc.

Any advice/suggestions welcomed? Thanks! I love this BB! Good job!

I saw that squeegeekid got a free 4th night at the Marriott??? If so, how?

Fourth night was actually not free ... I used the add-a-night feature through Priceline's help section which allows you to get that same specific hotel if your price is right ... still cost the $42/night.

Any advice/suggestions welcomed? Thanks! I love this BB! Good job!

For now, it first comes down to availability...

I won the Marriott Mesa only after winning all available rooms at the Hilton at $32 and $36.

The Mesa Hilton might be better for you anyway as it backs onto a golf course with amazing views.

Aside from that, Mesa is definitely NOT where you want to be ... there is nothing to do out there.

PL Vacations shows the Buttes available for all your days BUT based on the price showing, you will NOT win it for $47 or even close ... Hotwire lists it right now for $198. When Hotwire shows it for $90-something or $60-something, it sells cheap on Priceline.

My advice is to split your dates and check out PL Vacations to see which hotels come up, how much and when ... as you may have to split your stay anyway to get better deals. Mesa Hotels are cheaper on weekends and some Scottsdale hotels are cheaper during the week.

Your best bet is is the Buttes or if you get lucky the 3* Sheraton Suites in Tempe .... low $40's. Tempe is the place to be!!!

Or, wait a couple months for more availability to come up...

The Radisson in Sedona would be great too ... low $50's and opens you to more golf options.

or, even Tuscon for a couple days at the Loews, Omni or Westin for $80-something if you wait for availability. There are 3*'s in Tuscon East that sometimes go as low as $30-something.

I did a couple date searches .... The Scottsdale Plaza is coming up for all dates as the lowest Scottsdale resort (probably win it in the $60's). For some dates, the Embassy Suites at the airport comes up likely in the $50's .... great value with their breakfast and evening cocktails.

My vote is for the Buttes if you can pick it up cheap but its in the parking lot of where the Angels play their home games so good luck in March. If you can get the Buttes you won't be sorry as it has a nice pool and a night club thats easy on the eyes. The rooms have all been remodeled and are in great shape. Ask for a room in the last building,I think its the 6000 building. You can walk around the gate and use the spa all night.

Thanks much squeegekid and bbbb -

Really appreciate the input. I think I will wait a bit and see if more rooms open up. I arrive on the 31st of March and believe Spring Training will be over by then, so not too worried about that. Might try to hit the Suns game on the 1st of April.

Sounds like my "best" hotel options are -

Hilton Mesa - i realize there it not much nightlife in Mesa

Marriott Mesa - ditto

Buttes - would be great to get for less than $60, but a long shot perhaps

Sheraton Suites Tempe

Scotttsdale Plaza (Resort)

Embassy Suites Airport - good value, might be able to get in the $50s

We will be getting 2 rooms and some guys are staying 5 nights so would like to keep the price per room per night in the $60 range if possible.

Any idea when more rooms might open up and, thus, chance of getting a cheaper priced room is better - like in Vegas? I don't mind waiting until 2 weeks before the trip to book something.

I do not quite understand how I can leverage the info on PL Vacations to my advantage. It will not let me put in that I am flying in from Phoenix, naturally, but then if it's a total of $400 per person from Seattle (for example), how do I know how much the room alone might go for? I am going down on points. Perhaps I just use PL Vacations to look for availability during my dates and then use this BB to search for probably prices?

Thanks much.

I do not quite understand how I can leverage the info on PL Vacations to my advantage. It will not let me put in that I am flying in from Phoenix, naturally, but then if it's a total of $400 per person from Seattle (for example), how do I know how much the room alone might go for? I am going down on points. Perhaps I just use PL Vacations to look for availability during my dates and then use this BB to search for probably prices?

PL Vacations shows you...

which hotels are available ...

their relative price...

which is the cheapest offering in each zone ... which helps you avoid pest hotels

and by using a dummy airport, you can also search airfare prices to aprox calculate the hotel price...

Take a hotel that comes up where you actually know the price based on board history and predict the others

It is also sometimes deceiving because some hotels never show up on Vacations...

Here is an example that you should actually act on right away

if you would consider staying in Fountain Hills!!!

LAX to PHX ... 2 rooms, 5 nights

Mar 31 - April 5

Homestead ($224) is the cheapest ... and just by already knowing they go for $25 - $28 in PHX ... I can calculate other hotel prices easier

An amazing deal has now popped up...

the second lowest price hotel today is ($239)...

Courtyard By Marriott Scottsdale/Mayo Clinic

13444 East Shea Boulevard

Scottsdale, Arizona 85259

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/PHXMY

So, $239-$224=$15*2 people per room = $30 divided by 5 nights ... equals $6

So if the Homestead usually goes for $25 .... you can get this Courtyard for around $31..

I say bid 2.5* Fountain Hills $25 and if it fails,

add Mesa and rebid $27 ... if it fails ...

add Tempe and rebid $30

I have already searched using 2 rooms so, I know they have 2 rooms available!!!

My prediction is $27 takes it!!!!!! ... this is a steal

Thanks thesqueegeekid -

You are the king! I now understand how using PL Vacation can help out.

You're right that it's quite a steal. I just need to bounce the idea of being way out there with the rest of the group. I think I have a good understanding and strategy now thanks to you.

Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks much!

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE - Bid up to $75 tonight for a Resort in the Tempe area hoping for the Wyndham Buttes for 5 nights - 31 March - 4 April. No luck. Hmmm. Will try again in 4 days, I guess. It must be high season - $197 web rate available from www.wyndham.com. Not certain if a resort like the Wyndham in Tempe releases more rooms as the dates get closer like many hotels do in Vegas. Any suggetions welcomed. Thanks.

I just got back from the Scottsdale Plaza Resort, I attended a business meeting for 4 days. This property is about 40 years old with immaculate grounds, many of the rooms have been refrurbished, it features 5 swimming pools and tennis courts. While there, the place was loaded with corporate events, and meetings, and a few families, and it was too cold to see anything that was easy on the eyes :) Some in my group complained that the rooms were small and a bit worn, my room was fine.

UPDATE - Bid up to $75 tonight for a Resort in the Tempe area hoping for the Wyndham Buttes for 5 nights - 31 March - 4 April. No luck. Hmmm. Will try again in 4 days, I guess. It must be high season - $197 web rate available from www.wyndham.com. Not certain if a resort like the Wyndham in Tempe releases more rooms as the dates get closer like many hotels do in Vegas. Any suggetions welcomed. Thanks.

I was getting the Buttes in the $50 range when the web rate was $129.

• 2 weeks later...

GAVE UP ON PRICELINE - Over the course of about 6 days, I tried to get the Buttes for up to $95 with no luck for the 31 March - 5th of April (5 nights), then tried to get a 3* in Mesa for up to $67 with no luck. So threw in the towel and got the 3* Crowne Plaza near the Airport for $53/night. Happy with it. Will post details on the hotwire side. Thanks for all your help.

Website says $141 a night so happy to get it for $53.

Hotel Details: 2 room(s), 5 night(s)

Crowne Plaza Phoenix Airport

4300 E. Washington St.

Phoenix, Arizona 85034

(602) 273-7778

Check-in: Thu, Mar 31, 2005 Check-out: Tue, Apr 5, 2005

Midscale

Traveler and Billing Details

Hotel

2 room(s) @ $53.00 per night x 5 night(s) $530.00

Hotel Taxes and fees: $65.95

Hotel Subtotal $595.95

Total Price $595.95

Some hotels may apply additional charges for incidental

fees such as parking. Prices are in $USD

If I'm not mistaken they are still the one's on the "pinned" list in this BB -

Amenities: Shuttle, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Golf, Business, Laundry

... that's what helped me be 90% sure I was going to get the Crowne Plaza.

To your question - yes, I am happy with the deal I got. Will report back a review upon my return.

Great BB! It rocks!

• 11 months later...

IMHO the whole thing may have been done too far in advance. In my experience, the better places in the Phoenix area do not offer up PL or HW rooms way ahead at a low price. Another strategy to consider is to have a back up and avoid second choices or high bids until it is within a week of your travel date. This seems to be reflected in the successful bids as well.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]