AZ Phoenix Westin Kierland North Scottsdale

onabalcony
By onabalcony,
in

We stayed two nights at the Westin over the July 3-5 holiday. No resort fees and free self parking. No mention of Priceline but the front desk rep asked for my Starwood member number and added the stay to my account. My husband said valet is complimentary part of the time, but I don't recall the details. The hotel was pretty full, lots of families, tons of kiddos! The lazy river was more of a meandering stew of humanity, so we spent our time at the quieter spa pool nearby. We didn't have to wait long to secure a couple of lounge chairs, bar service was a tad slow but the servers were nice and attentive once they came around. Plenty of complimentary pool towels and ice water. Temps were in the low 100's all weekend.

Our room was lovely and we were surprised to have a bathroom with separate tub and shower. Wifi is not complimentary. The bed was comfy but I think the mattress was original equipment and nearing the end of its shelf life. After 9 am Monday morning we could hear hammering sounds upstairs. The bellman told us as we were leaving that the hotel was beginning some upgrades and that we probably were hearing new carpet being installed.

Housekeeping staff did a fine job of keeping the room spotless and well stocked. Any staff member we passed spoke to us and seemed genuinely happy we were there!

Did not eat at any dining spots, had some delicious drinks on the golf course facing Canyon courtyard while enjoying the bagpiper wind the evening down. After dark, the temps were actually bearable there with the misters spraying and the lush lawn area giving off some cooling moisture. We saw lots of kids rolling down the hills enjoying expending the last of their day's energy supply! Dive in movies at the main pool appeared to be another popular place to spend the evening.

Great visit, would be glad to stay at the Westin anytime!

• 2 years later...

I didn't see the prior post before otherwise I would have responded earlier with my review; better late than never(about three months late to be exact).

The hotel is impressive from the outside and continues with a warm and inviting look into the main lobby area. However, beyond that initial impression, everything else was strictly downhill. At the front desk I was told I had to pay a MANDATORY Resort Fee even though I was on a business trip and had no time to spend at the hotel. I explained my situation to the front desk personnel but felt like I was talking to the walking dead and got no where with them. I was upset to say the least.

The rooms, at best, are worn out and the hallways have a tired look as well. And if you do not have kids in tow, don't worry, there were hoards of children running through the hotel day and night. If this hotel had a sweet elegance in the past, it is certainly gone now.

The one positive point in trying to be fair to this hotel is its location. The Kierland Center is magnificent with lots of restaurants and shopping. In addition, there is an astounding movie theater in the complex(don't miss it!).

As you may have guessed, I would not recommend this hotel. Buyer Beware!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]