Priceline Hotel: 4* LA-San Fernando (Burbank-Universal City-Glendale) Hilton Glendale

shawnjlaw
By shawnjlaw,
in

Flying into LAX late on July 24th and heading to big bear area on 25th (one night stay). 2 hits on hotwire.

$67 for a 3 star with gym, pool, restaurant, business/media center, laundry, high speed internet - 75% recommendation by hotwire customers.

$68 for a 3 1/2 star with shuttle, gym, restaurant, pool, high speed internet - 65% recommendation by hotwire customers.

Only hotels right by LAX I have stayed at are the Westin, Hilton, Marriot and I don't think it's one of those.

75% recommendation sounds better, but no shuttle and I am not picking up a car until Sunday morning after I check out, so being blind sided as to how far a hotel with no shuttle is concerning here. Could the 3 1/2 star be the trade winds in El Segundo?

Just want a cheap quite safe place to stay... with no bed bugs (had those last year after a friend stayed with me on a trip back from Europe. You don't ever want to try to get rid of those things trust me... trip adviser is a good way to check on that by the way.)

The 3* matches previous reports for the Holiday Inn Los Angeles Airport so that would be my best guess for this one.

The 3.5* property has not yet been reported to the board, but my best guess is that this is the Crowne Plaza with a new amenity combination.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

All reported Hotwire 3* and 3.5* in LAX zone have a free shuttle (at last info), so even if hotel IDs are uncertain you'll get a hotel with shuttle at those bidding levels, whether a shuttle icon shows or not, if that's your concern. (Unless something has changed, always possible.)

If you buy one of these please let us know what you get.

Just want a cheap quite safe place to stay... with no bed bugs (had those last year after a friend stayed with me on a trip back from Europe. You don't ever want to try to get rid of those things trust me... trip adviser is a good way to check on that by the way.)
Sorry about your episode.

TripAdvisor is a valuable tool. It's one of the websites I use most. But I don't necessarily agree that TA's a good or accurate way to determine if a hotel has a bedbug problem. Most "I came home covered with bedbug bites" reports that I see on TA are from one time posters. They register, post the bedbug comment, and are never seen again.

If a hotel really has a bedbug problem there will be posts about it from longtime members with many posts to their names. The great majority of bedbug reports I see on TripAdvisor come from "one post wonders", who don't have credibility.

TripAdvisor is good for a lot but you have to take the reviews from posters who only post one time with a grain of salt. Their reviews are almost always wildly enthusiastic or "the worst hotel in the world".

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty easy going on hotels relative to what I paid for the room. But after having had a bed bug infestation at home (and I'm an obsessively clean person) I really watch out for any dangers. It's extreme measures over months that totally wrecks your life to get rid of them. Bad enough on your trip, but to bring them home is by far much worse. I keep my stuff in the suitcase at all times and I take an extra large commercial trash bag with me to keep the suitcase in when not getting things out of it, and keep it sitting in the tub or off the floor. I also use a bed bug repellent on it and around the bed. When I get home, I take my suitcase into the basement through the cellar door and use a steamer on it heavily and then wash the clothes immediately including what I'm wearing and go directly to the shower touching as little in my house as possible. Anything that can't be washed gets steamed and/or sprayed with alcohol. Even after these extreme measures I worry that they get through. These things are a growing problem, especially here in the northeast where people rely heavily on public transportation. I have learned far more than I ever wanted to about these things and how to get rid or them. First lessen, minimize your chances of bringing them into your home. It may seem excessive to do these things on your trip, but a week or two of traveling can result in months of nightmare.

MAybe better bidding should have a warning link for reports on this specific problem. It would surely help. I was close to trying the hotwire offer for the 3 1/2 star hotel - price now down to $63 but someone reported that the 3 1/2 property Raddison has recently had an infestation. With a 65% customer recommendation I was already a bit leery already though. Think I might try the 3 star that looks to be the Holiday Inn which was recently renovated with a %75 recommendation. What other 3 stars are in the LAX zone that it might be?

I have learned far more than I ever wanted to about these things and how to get rid or them. First lessen, minimize your chances of bringing them into your home. It may seem excessive to do these things on your trip, but a week or two of traveling can result in months of nightmare.
It sounds like you brought home a really bad case of bedbugs, shawnjlaw, and I fully understand why you're so cautious about them now.

Understandably you're reluctant to book a hotel where a bedbug infestation's been reported. At the same time I hope you appreciate that not everything you read on the internet is true. Are there bedbugs at the Radisson? I don't know. I've never stayed there. Each person has to decide for themself what info from the internet is credible and what isn't.

I've searched for and can't find any recent posts about a bedbug infestation--other than Skystar's statement about his stay eight months ago--that would make me hesitant to stay at Radisson LAX because of bedbugs. If someone knows of credible info--like a newspaper article or health dept citation or a TripAdvisor review from someone with more than 20 posts--my mind could be changed.

Radisson has 458 reviews on TripAdvisor. I only read the 48 most recent reviews, every review since Skystar's stay last November. Not everyone likes the Radisson, for sure, but none of the 48 reviews since Skystar's stay mentions bedbugs or rodents. One poster (with one post to his name) said he saw a cockroach in the shower, and that's the only mention of bugs I see in 48 reviews.

Since Skystar's stay in 11/09 seven others BetterBidders have reported winning the Radisson LAX here, on PL or HW. (Enter "Radisson LAX" in the Quick Search box at top of page to view.) All their stays are over and none has come back and reported bedbugs. None of the Radisson LAX reviews posted in BetterBidding's Hotel Review section, going back to 2005, mentions bedbugs either.

I was close to trying the hotwire offer for the 3 1/2 star hotel - price now down to $63 but someone reported that the 3 1/2 property Raddison has recently had an infestation. With a 65% customer recommendation I was already a bit leery already though. Think I might try the 3 star that looks to be the Holiday Inn which was recently renovated with a %75 recommendation. What other 3 stars are in the LAX zone that it might be?
Bedbugs questions aside, what options are you now considering? The 3* was already ID'ed as a likely match for Holiday Inn LAX. (ID's are never 100%.)

Sorry about the absence but life called and kept me away from the computer for a few days. The dynamics of my trip have changed somewhat, as I am flying in to LAX on the 25th and heading to the Inland Empire that day so I will not need a hotel on the evening of the 24th. A traveling companion arriving on the 24th did tell me she got a hotwire deal on the Hilton for $59 for that night though and I think she said it was offered as a 3.5 star hotel.

I am tied up until the early evening of the 29th (Thursday) and do not fly back to Boston until Sunday Aug 2 (more like Aug 1 - Sunday night - flight is a 1:40 am Red Eye - that way you get a full day without the cost of a hotel. I never like the idea of paying for a hotel and car rental to just sleep and pay to park the car in a garage only to check out in the morning and fight rush hour traffic in a panic to get to the airport. This is especially true in LA. If you have sleep endurance you can get more vacation bang for your buck and a much more easy and stress free time making you way to the airport.)

What I was getting to is that I need a room from either Thursday night the 29th (if I can get a good deal cheap, say $60 a night - that's asking a lot but we'll try. I do have a room out in Ontario that I know is a great deal and I can extend it to stay over Thursday night for only $47.50 and no parking costs and then drive over to LA in an hour Friday morning if you see where I'm coming from - would be nice to drive from a LA hotel room to the beach Friday morning though) or Friday night (the 30th) until Sunday Morning the 1st of Aug.

Was looking over priceline offers and I saw a win by Bigern for Hilton Universal City for $65. I'd like to target that one for around that price. I shot them a single bid over my phone earlier for $55 (only 4 stars and Burbank-UC-Glendale). As I was sure it was rejected without counter offer.

The other option is to stay somewhere near the beach. I saw some winning bids at decent prices in MB-Redondo but have heard differing things about the winning properties. Wondering what anyone thinks of staying near LAX for easy beach access. If you're willing to drive, and I don't mind (that's why I rent fuel efficient cars) it seems like a decent option considering the beaches of South Bay and SanMo/Venice are all nearby.

Anyway I've railed on to let you know my situation and am somewhat open to suggestions. Was interested in the Hilton in Universal City though as I really only want a 3.5 or 4 star property. Not that I'm one to need luxury, but it seems to be the better bet when bidding blind on Priceline or hotwire. Even if you get the short end of the 3.5 stick, you're still in a decent room usually.

Q: If I rebid today and add North Hollywood and Studio City for a 4 star what happens? I don't think there are any 4 star hotels in those areas. I've only bid on Priceline once before - single bid the night before my stay put me in the Residence Inn in Beverly Hills for $50 a night. So I'm a novice at the bidding game.

Yeah I wanted to try the Hilton in SFV (Universal City) which is a 4 star property. Yeah I was hoping for similar win to what others have been reporting. I'm flexible on the 29th of July (Thursday night) since I have a good room about 45 minutes out of LA for $47.50 a night with no costs for parking (I'll be staying there until at least Thursday morning and can extend it a night if I want, so if I could get something like the Hilton for around $60 I'd drive on to LA Thursday night - $60 + $18 for parking = $78 which is $30 more (in light of the room I have in Inland Empire for $47.50 a night) than just booking on 30th and 31st and driving over on Friday morning - I can't possibly be there before 9pm on Thursday evening anyway - hope you see the logic in that.) So I wanted to try low bidding up to $60 or so for 29th - 31st (3 nights) and if it goes higher just change the dates to 30th and 31st (2 nights, which I definitely need).

I've preface the following with the fact that you're not bidding on a specific hotel (ie- the Hilton) but any 4* hotel in the zone. Assuming you're fine with this...

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Universal City...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $53, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $58, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $61

I went to $61 since there is a previous win at that level, but you can stop at $60 if you don't want to bid the extra $1 for the 3 nite stay.

Try the above for your 3 nite stay, if it is rejected close the browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE, and try again for your two nite stay. Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm a little lost on adding re-bid zones. What rebid zone can be added for Burbank-UC-Glendale for targeting this property? Only thing I can see is NoHo-Studio City but if you select that as you only bid zone, it won;t even allow bidding on a 4* prop (so I assume there are none in that zone.) Does this just revert back to the zone where there IS/ARE 4* props like BUR-UC-Glendale? In other words is it merely a means to subvert the 24 hour wait period while essentially still bidding on the prop you just bid on?

Any explanations on adding re-bid zones greatly appreciated. Since I have a week and a half I was wanting to target this property for a bit so I don't want to get a place in a zone I was considering - not just yet anyway.

You almost got it, but we'll explain to make sure you're all the way there :) ...

You're right that if you select the North Hollywood zone by itself, there are currently no 4* hotels i that zone (it only goes up to 2.5*). If you were bidding the North Hollywood zone by itself you wouldn't be able to select a 4* hotels, but (don't bid just yet) look at what happens if you select both Burbank-Universal-Glendale and North Hollywood... you can now bid for a 4* hotel. And if you won a hotel on that bid, you know it would have to be in the Burbank-Universal-Glendale zone since no hotels in the North Hollywood zone met your minimum star requirement. Is it clearer now and does this make sense?

If so, list each zone in this region and then click each zone one by one (so that only one zone is checkmarked at a time) and take note of the highest star rating available in each zone... report that information here and we'll confirm it for you.

Any questions feel free to ask.

2 questions

1. Do I just add a rebid zone each time or do I remove the last added one leaving Burbank-UC-Glendale each time? I mean Do you only bid 2 zones at a time or keep adding?

2. On this site, to begin a search, what are the 2 date boxes. I know the first is for check in date but is the second for the last day of the rental or is it the day of check out? If I'm cheeking out on the morning of Sunday Aug 1st, what should the box input be?

OK I started bidding $57 for 4* in BUR-UC-Glendale, Rejected

Added a re-bid zone and offered $58, rejected

Added a re-bid zone and offered $59, rejected

Added a re-bid zone and offered $60, rejected

Added a re-bid zone and offered $61, rejected

Changed my dates to 7/30 - 8/01 and offered $65, rejected

Never even received a counter offer.

Could it be because the check in date is still 9 days a way? Can a repeat this process again starting tomorrow with the same bidding scheme to see if they bite?

You can try again tomorrow.

Counter-offers are somewhat random and i don't think your lack of receiving one has to do with the prxomity of your stay.

You can start again tomorrow... 24 hours after your last rejected bid. However, unless you have a back-up plan near this price, i would at least consider raising your maximum bid somewhat.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from LA. I kept trying on priceline for the Hilton for 29th - 1st. Finally was accepted on my first bid on the evening of the 28th for $63 for 4 star Hilton.

BUT.

There is a new player in town. The 4 star Hilton I got for BUR-UC-Glendale is not the Hilton UC. It is the Hilton LA North in Glendale at Brand and Glenoaks. It's about 6-7 minutes to the east on the 134. Nice hotel especially for the price. $18 a night parking but I only parked 1 night and then found street parking. You can go the 134 to Forrest Lawn (remember to wave to Michael Jackson as you pass) to Barham to Cahuenga snd be in Hollywood if the traffic is flowing in about 8 minutes (well, the way I drive you can).

At any rate, take notice that this property is showing up as a 4 star option in that zone now. Still not a bad deal if you don't mind driving, just look for that open street parking across the street to the northwest if you get this one. Hell it was quicker that getting back out of the garage anyway. I parked when I checked in not knowing and coughed up $18 (could have been dinner). Glendale is a little off the beaten path and gets overlooked sometimes, but not a bad option for those looking for quality on the cheap in LA. Glendale is a very nice community and there is a huge shopping zone just down Brand Ave. Would highly recommend for those traveling with families and have a car.

Just keep in mind that this is now a 4 star option in this zone.

The 4 star Hilton I got for BUR-UC-Glendale is not the Hilton UC. It is the Hilton LA North in Glendale at Brand and Glenoaks.

I know of the Hilton Universal City, but this Hilton Glendale is the Hilton that is typically won in this zone.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Hope you enjoyed your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]