Priceline Hotel: 3* Chicago (NMA-River North) Courtyard Downtown River North

stoudts
By stoudts,
in

I've booked our non-refundable flight, so we will be visiting Chicago 9/14 to 9/17 (Tue to Fri). We want to stay in downtown, close to all the attractions. Is MNA or Mil Park a better location using Priceline? How much of a difference will I see between a 3.5* and a 4*? Should I book now or wait? I'm really hoping for <$100/night, with a nice view of the city. (I know, I might be hoping for too much?)

Has anyone else here considered an apartment rental instead? What have y'all found are the pro's and con's to that?

Thanks, everyone.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Generally speaking the NMA is a more favored location over the Loop, although both are usually acceptable as they two zones are adjacent to one another and it's a moderate walk from one to the other (or inexpensive bus or taxi if late at nite, bad weather, or you're too tired)

The NMA zone has more nightlife, restaurants, and general activity whereas the Loop zone gets pretty quiet at nite after business hours... however, the Loop is often a little cheaper than the NMA zone.

I'm sure apartment vs. hotel is one of personal choice, but i don't i'd rent an apartment for a 3 day rental. A rental may come handy for a longer term stay (2-4 weeks) with the kitchenette, but when i'm on vacation i don't intend to cook and i enjoy the "hotel experience"... having my bed made for me each day, a drink in the lobby, people watching, etc. Another issue with apartment rental is you don't know who you're renting from (will they take your deposit and not show up on the day you arrive??), is the unit accurately described, who handles any situation which may arise if something breaks, plumbing doesn't work, A/C broken, etc.

As far as 3.5* vs. 4*, there is no clear answer as ratings are subjective it is really hotel specific... there are probably some 3.5* properties which are favored over some of the 4* properties (and some 4* hotels which are clearly superior to some of the 3.5*)

As far as when to bid see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know if/when you're ready to move forward and we'll try to help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As I've noted in other threads recently, Chicago has a couple of iffy (Allerton, Sheraton) properties in both of the main downtown areas, but these properties are not terrible, especially at discounted rates (and I've found many Chicago properties extremely enjoyable at discounted rates, but would I be as happy paying 2-3x the price? Probably not.

There are some really terrific properties at the 3.5* and 3* level in the NMA area that are excellent examples of the star rating and chain (such as the Indigo, the two Embassy Suites properties, the Homewood Suites and the two Courtyards, among others.)

My concern about bidding in the 3.5* and 4* level in the MP-Loop-Grant Park area is the possibility of winding up in a hotel in either the West Loop (such as the W City Center or Allegro) or in the South Loop (Hilton, Blackstone), as there is not much going on around these properties at night - especially in the area around the W and Allegro. In the area around the W and Allegro, there's not a whole lot going on directly around those properties during the day, either - it is primarily a business district. At least with the Hilton and Blackstone, those two properties are reasonably close to the Art Institute/Millennium Park, as well as not a terrible walk from the Museum Campus.

I'll definitely agree on apartment rentals; it's not something I'd recommend. There are a couple of high-end private clubs that rent rooms that I recommend when they appear on Orbitz or Expedia, but the one is still expensive regular rate for these dates at $160 per night (although that's quite a bit less than most hotels for these dates.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE, Orbitz or Expedia.com

• 4 weeks later...

Have been bidding for WEEKS on 3.5* and 4* up to $127/night without any luck in MNA and MP/Loop. I know there's a BIG convention in town that weekend, so I was starting to get nervous. :)

Finally decided to drop to a 3* in those areas. Had bid about 2 weeks ago up to $120 for a 3* without any luck. Tonight I tried again and after again being rejected on all bids up to $127/night for a 3.5 & 4* in MNA and MP/Loop, my first 3*-level offer of $105 was accepted. I was a bit surprised, since nothing was there 2 weeks ago for $120/night with those same specs, but I'll take it!

It seems the regular rate for a weeknight at this location is $189, so I definitely saved. Was hoping for a bit nicer of a hotel, but at this point, I just wanted to get something in our price range of less than $450 (total w/ tax) for 3 nights. The total cost was $373.41, which included $58.41 in taxes.

It's also interesting to note that on hotel's website, no rooms are available for my actual dates.

Thanks Priceline and Better Bidding! (I did use the Better Bidding PRICELINE link to attain this bid.)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]