First timer using Priceline for car at KOA

melmgmel
By melmgmel,
in

I am elderly and have never used PRICELINE to bid before.

We are going to the island of Hawaii and when I did a search using PRICELINE, it said the price should be about $14 a day for a full size. That is a great price. I thought maybe I'd put in $12 and see if I get a bite??

I'm very nervous about doing this. Is there anything I should know or worry about beforehand?

Has anyone done this thru this airport and had a bad experience after using PRICELINE?

Questions for me?

Please ask. And thank you kindly for all your help.

Melanie

Are you going to the Big Island...the Island of Hawaii, in the state of Hawaii? Or maybe the island of Oahu...where Honolulu is?

I would suggest you start out bidding even lower. You have time to experiment a little. September is not the "high season" in Hawaii....so there may be some deals. High season in HI starts about December 15....and goes through the winter.

If you can get a decent price from the car companies....which can be cancelled....you might make one as a back up. Then try bidding through this site. If you look back on the discussion on this list, you can see that good deals can be had. We got ours early last December...through this site...$8 a day for a midsize on the island of Kauai in Hawaii.

Best wishes to you.

Shirley

melmgmel,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What are the actual dates of your rental? What car class are you seeking? What rates (daily and total including taxes and fees) are you finding thru conventional booking channels?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you kindly.

Actual dates are Sept 7th thru 14th. I tried a full size last night for $9 but it didn't fly. The site said $14 would be a "good price". Thought I'd try $10 or $11 after my 24 hours. We could go smaller, like to a standard car or maybe even a mid-size if their midsize is truly a mid. :)

We already have a res for a full size at $191 total (includes all taxes and fee's)

And yes, when I made our bid last night, I went thru your site PRICELINE links. I'm a loyal customer. :)

Thoughts on what I can do to improve my bid? $14 is great but like everyone else, I want to go lower. :o

Thank you kindly.

Melanie

I would just bid $10, $11, $12, $13, $14 over the next 5 days... even at $14 you're still looking at ~25% vs. a conventionally booked rental. If you don't feel this is enough savings for you then you can roll the dice a bit by waiting and bidding up to your maximum bid (or lower your car class).

Thanks for using the prcie.line links to begin your bidding.

Good luck and keep us updated as to your progress or if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I did $12 for the full size, the site said $14 might be "good", but I tried $12 any way. Didn't take.

Is it safe to assume that the "good" rate is generally accepted?

I realize the $14 is a big savings and a great deal but something about just getting $1 off feels like you've won the battle, know what I mean?

This site is interesting. Your all pro's at this and I'm just learning.

Thank you kindly.

Melanie

Is it safe to assume that the "good" rate is generally accepted?
Often, but i've seen the suggested rate rejected as well.
I realize the $14 is a big savings and a great deal but something about just getting $1 off feels like you've won the battle, know what I mean?
I do, but focus on the dollars and not the pennies. :) The 'discount' you should be comparing to is vs. a conventionally booked rental, which as per your quote above is $191 where a $14 PRICELINE win would be $151 (if i recall correctly from searching earlier)... that's the savings you should be focusing on, imo.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]