Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* San Francisco (Embarcadero) Park Hyatt

Blueskies
By Blueskies,
in

I am looking at Hotwire 4 1/2* which lists Fitness center, high speed access Internet access and business center but no mention of restaurant like the hotel list. Could this be the Argonaut or is there a new one or an upgraded hotel in that area?

I know the hotel rates for the first night July 6th and 7th are less than 8th direct with hotel and this is same with hotwire (8th is Friday) $189 and $219. Hotwire is $166 p.n. for 3 nights or $142 p.n.for 2 nights then $166 for 3rd.

We need two rooms for 2 adults and two teenagers.

Please help if you can

The referernce number is a random number used within their tracking system... if/when you purchase a hotel it gives them a way to keep look up your purhcase, etc.

It could be the Argonaut, but i'd sooner believe that it is some other hotel that has not yet been identified... unless you know that the Arogonaut's restaurant is closed for renovations or something similar. You may want to give them a call and ask if the restaurant is open (and maybe the Sheraton too?)... if either of them are currently closed that may give some addtional insight. It's a long shot, but we recently saw something similar with a pool closing for repair at a hotel in Vegas.

If you gain any additional insight please let us know. If/when you do book something with Hotwire, please use THIS LINK to do so.

I'll add that i wouldn't exactly jump on this right now at these prices since you have plenty of time. However, in the meantime i would check out the Sheraton which currently has these dates for $159/nite... that may server as a good back-up (double check the rate rules but this rate does appear to be cancellable). At least this would protect you if rates only go up from here.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I suspect you are right with your idea of the Sheraton at FW as I see via a report on tripadvisor that the Sheraton is undergoing renovations. Looks like it has been added to the hotwire 4 1/2 * list.

Is the list updated frequently on a as required basis or on regular timetable?

I am from UK so I have emailed the hotel(sheraton) and await their response but I think that your suggestion is more likely.

As you say I have plenty of time and don't need to make any quick decisions. I will probably make reservations direct with a good second choice soon and leave it a while and look again on hotwire. If there is a risk that I would get the Sheraton rather than the Argonaut I would be inclined to perhaps go for using priceline as it may work out cheaper. I would reckon that both the Argonaut and the Sheraton at FW would have the same amenties once their restaurant opens so there would be no way of knowing.

Also looks like I can get almost as good a (cancellable) price direct with hotel as with Hotwire (if this is the Sheraton).

I have just discovered this site and think it is amazing!

Thanks for your assistance and keep up the good work.

I'm really interested in the results of this one... I've been keeping my eyes on the rates for the Argonaut on Hotwire for an upcoming trip. The only 2 hotels that may qualify for 4.5* in Fisherman's Wharf would be the Argonaut and Sheraton, and ANY 4.5* hotel, certainly would have a restaurant! I've seen another property where an icon seemed to 'drop off' from time to time. Maybe to confuse us? :)

The Sheraton has a pool, and I really thought that icon would show up if they list with Hotwire (their Seattle location always shows LOTS of icons including the pool on Hotwire).

Can't speak for the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, but the Argonaut is awesome!

Good luck.

Looks like it has been added to the hotwire 4 1/2 * list. 

Do you see it added to a "list" somewhere for hotwire 4.5*'s? I couldn't see it listed in the Hotel product, for one.

After reading the TripAdvisor reviews of the Sheraton, I'd really have a hard time believing it was rated a 4.5* -- I think I'd be pretty disappointed getting it when looking at recent feedback. The Argonaut really deserves its 4.5* rating, no question.

Thanks for your input. I did get a response yesterday from the sheraton saying "The renovation is taking place on the exterior of the building and it involves replacing the wood siding panels. " Due to be completed September. I didn't see Sheraton on a list anywhere and was jumping to conclusions following thereuare's post.

I don't think I will bid on hotwire given the price difference. For $20 or so it is not worth the risk. I will either go direct with Argonaut or look at Fairmont, which I have managed to get decent rates, albeit slightly higher than Argonaut. Any views here thereuare??

Thanks a bunch once again

Always consult the Vacation product in these mysteries!!!

Hotwire's vacation product still shows the Argonaut as 4.5 stars, however has dropped the boutique icon that used to display. Current amenities are Restaurant, Fitness, Internet & Business.

The vacation product also still lists the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf as 4 stars w/amenities of Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Internet & Business.

So whatever the 4.5 star showing in the hotel-only product w/o restaurant remains a mystery, but at least we can rule out the Sheraton. :)

It's certainly hard to imagine how Hotwire could rate a hotel 4.5 stars without as much as a restaurant, but here are the requirements of a 4.5 property according to their website.

4.5 Deluxe

Example: Hyatt, Omni, Le Meridien

Available in desirable locations, these hotels offer personalized service and outstanding quality. Properties feature tastefully furnished rooms that are cosmopolitan, yet still intimate. Guests are often pampered with extra perks such as bathrobes and turndown services. Superior dining is usually located on-site. Deluxe hotels generally provide all of the amenities you would find at an upscale hotel - such as room service, concierge, just a little more posh.

They certainly give themselves an "out" by using such terms as "often" "usually" and "generally" !!!

My gut tells me the 4.5 hotel you're seeing in the Hotel product is the Argonaut. The only amenity difference between the hotel and vacation package is the restaurant. Everything else matches. We've seen on a number of occasions where Hotwire displays different amenities in the hotel vs vacation product for the same property. Confusing? You bet!

• 2 weeks later...

What a difference 10 days makes..........

The Argonaut is now displaying in Hotwire's vacation package as a 4 star, downgraded from 4.5. Amenities are still displaying the same:

Restaurant

Fitness

Hi-Speed Internet

Business

And the hotel product for July 6-9 is no longer displaying a 4.5 star, but now 4 stars, with amenities of:

Fitness

Business

Now, more than ever, I feel the property displaying in the hotel-only product is the Argonaut, despite the different amenities in the vacation package. I think it's just too coincidental that both properties (assuming they're different) were both downgraded from 4.5 to 4 stars.

BEAV, you may be right that they're one in the same, but there is a chance that one hotel was downgraded, and the downgraded hotel said, "How can we be a 4* and the other hotel, which we're rated better than with every other agency, remain a 4.5*?" As a result, Hotwire downgrades them both.

As i said above, you may very well be right and this property may have different amenties thru each Hotwire product, but i know of at least one example of the above scenario taking place. Just letting you know that the above is also a plausible possibility.

Thanks for the info on the Hotwire downgrade.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]