Priceline Hotel: 3* Honolulu (Waikiki South) Radisson Prince

tlocher
By tlocher,
in

Hi,

My wife and I are heading to Waikiki for three nights in mid-April. I noticed Waikiki is split into two zones. Is one preferrable over another? Also, of course we prefer the 4* hotel to the 3* but sadly price is a big issue with us. Could anyone suggest a strategy for each? From my research it appears a 4* bid should be around $110 while a 3* bid may be sucessful around $50.

Thanks for your help!

Tim

Welcome to BetterBidding!

To start you'll need to supply the actual date(s) of your stay, as prices and availability can vary greatly from one day to the next, even in 'mid-april'.

Regarding which zone is 'better', i would recommend looking at the PRICELINE HOTEL LIST and the HOTWIRE HOTEL LIST for this area, and try to read reviews of the possible hotels at each star level, this will help you figure out your most likley 'worst case scenario'.

From my overview the known 4* hotels in the North and the South are both good, with the North usually being a bit less expensive, so that may weigh in your decision. Once you go to the 3* level, each zone has it's "dogs", examples of each would be the Royal Garden in North and the Park Shore in the South.

Once you decide upon zone (maybe you'd consider either, depending upon which is cheaper at the star level you choose) and prices we'll be happy to help with a bidding strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks thereyouare! We will be ariving in Honolulu on April 19 and leaving on April 22. We would certainly consider either zone of Waikikiki beach and we'd like to avoid the dogs you mention in the 3* category but sadly we may need to consider them if price gets too high in the 4* level.

Thanks for your help.

It seems like you're concerned about your budget, so i'm not quite sure how you would be considering a Resort hotel, which would in all likelihood cost more than a 4*.

When you bid it is the minimum star level that you are willing to accept, and Priceline will upgrade you if there is a higher star rating available in the zone at that price.

Is the $110 mentioned above for a 4* your maximum bid? Are you looking to bid now (and i'll look at prices and supply a strategy) but if you're going to bid i a few days let us know then and i'll look at current prices at that time.

Also, you'll need to know and understand re-bidding, which is explained in PRICELINE RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED. You'll have 2 re-bid zones when bidding 4* in Honolulu, feel free to confirm them with the board (or ask questions if you're confused as to which ones they are).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would say our max for a 4* would be around $110, yes. We want to do the 4* but not if it's going to cost much more than that.

We are looking at bidding now.

I assume all hotels included on Waikiki North or South are all beachfront?

Thanks again for your time. This is a great help.

Tim

All of the hotels may very well be beachfront, but it's not a requirement (that was my point). If you want to proceed, this is how i would do it:

Select 4* North...

Bid $95, if rejected add South and...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone1 and...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone2 and...

Bid $110.

If successful, it will likley take the $110 price, but we suggest trying lower 'just in case'.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

don't mean to but in, but another thing to consider regarding zones is if you want to be in the center of the "action", where most consider to be the south zone. If you haven't been to Waikiki before, you may want to research a lil about where the most likely hotels you may end up in are located in proximity to what your plans are. As for beachfront, many hotels in the South zone are either across the street or a block or two away from the beach. Easy walk.

gmarie, there's no such thing as "butting in" here... it's a forum to share ideas, knowledge, and experience... so whatever you can add to the conversation please do.

tlocher,

If going for 3 stars, choose whichever zone you wish to start with (non-Royal Garden if you wish, i've simply labeled them Zone1 and Zone2)...

Start with Zone1

Select 3* and bid $58, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select Zone2

Select 3* and bid $58, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Selct Zone1 and Zone2

Select 3* and bid $62, if rejected add re-bid zone zone....

Bid $64.

Good Luck with whichever route you decide to take.

As a side note, you can try the 4* strategy above and then if rejected try the 3* strategy... but if you decide to try the 3* strategy first you'll have to wait 72 hours before trying for a 4*.

We ended up bidding on a 3* in the South region. First try we got the Radison Waikiki for $58/night. Thanks for all your help! Has anyone ever stayed here?

Thanks again!

Hotel Name: Radisson Hotel Waikiki Prince Kuhio

2500 Kuhio Avenue

Honolulu, Hawaii 96815

808-922-0811

Summary of Charges

Billing Date: March 2, 2005

Your Offer Price: $58.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 3

Subtotal: $174.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $30.13

Total Charges: $204.13

Both the Prince and the Marriott are available in the 4 star category for those days. The Prince will be a little less (I think someone just had success at $108 from the UK, $110 will almost certainly work).

On the 3 star front, do NOT bid the North zone unless you want the Royal Garden, because that's what you'll get for those days. In the south zone, it looks very likely that you'll get the excellent Radisson Prince Kuhio, but it MAY (I'm not sure) take a bid in the mid to upper $60s for those days.

From a purely value conscious approach, I'd bid 3 stars in the Waikiki South zone starting at $55 in hopes of getting the Prince Kuhio. I don't think the 4 star hotels are "worth" the difference here.

Also, while thereuare will protest :) , use the Ihilani zone to get an extra "free bid". There's only resorts there, and I assure you that priceline will not be giving you the JW Marriott for 60 bucks (and if they do, count your lucky stars).

We ended up bidding on a 3* in the South region. First try we got the Radison Waikiki for $58/night.

Man, I wasted the keystrokes. :) But I see you did what I recommended anyway! IMHO, you hit the Honolulu jackpot with that hotel at that price.

BTW, I'm fascinated that the Kuhio went that cheap since the "packages" price priceline wants is so much higher than the Royal Garden. Nobody's gotten the Royal Garden below $55, right?

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]