Priceline Hotel: Bidding assistance 3.5* USW or USE

arbitrageur
By arbitrageur,
in

In my humble opinion:

Don't bid under 4*! 3* hotels (Priceline's rating system) can be great deals (on the up side) or borderline dumps (on the downside). If you're willing to bid $100 in these zones, stay at 4*. Whatever hotel is selected for you will be posh.

Also, a personal preference: USE is nicer than USW. What I mean is: some of those hotels in USW are nice, but you walk out of the hotel and you are more likely to see and smell the urban flotsam right there in your face. This can, surely, happen in USE too, but it's a little more prevalent in USW.

Bidding at 4* also helps you maximize your daily bidding using free rebids. You can bid, say, $86 USE. Then rebid USE + Marina. Then rebid USE + SFO-North. Then rebid USE + South-SF. And so on, but only adding on zones which do NOT show a 4* availability. All at the same price (or raising a buck each time) and on the same day. Then close your browser (come back here to start bidding again above) and do the same thing starting with USW, assuming this zone is acceptable. Your final bid for the day should be ALL acceptable zones plus ALL free-rebid zones. You probably can make something like 8 or 10 bids in a single day, if you plan it right, never really risking ending up in a zone you don't want to stay in; that is, you'll end up in either USE or USW.

You have lots of time still. I also suggest waiting until 3 weeks before your reservation, or even closer, as I have learned that inventory does in fact become available through PL as the date approaches. I recently had trouble winning a bid at up to $128. Then I came back ten days later (three weeks before my reservation) and won a 4* bid at $95 in the Fincnaicl Center-Embarcadero zone.

GOOD LUCK! And let us know what happens!

I do think you have a chance at a 4* hotel in these zones for your dates, so in light of the above info, let us know if you want to try for a 4* first up to your limit OR if you're interests are in the least expensive 3.5* or better for these dates.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

NOTE: star ratings are a matter of personal preference, i know there are others on the board who would state that the 3.5* hotels in this area are perfectly acceptable

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 4* level in San Francisco you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* USE...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody can say if rates will come down... or go up... between now and your stay, but my guess is that you're likely looking somewhere in the $130-$140 area to win a 4* hotel in one of these zones. Not sure how high you're willing to go, or wait, for a 4* before considering a 3.5* property.

Let us know your thoughts and/or if we can help with a bidding strategy.

Definitely open to 3.5* or better.

Acceptable zones now include USE, USW, Embarcadero.

Max = $150

Given the above, did you want to try for a 4* first up to $150 (or $143 given the LMT offering) or try for a less expensive 3.5* first?

I assume you have not yet bid for a 4* in the Embarcadero zone... nor tried the 3.5* in any zone?

I think I'll try for 3.5* in any of the 3 mentioned zones first.

I've now tried 4* USE, USW and Embarcadero up to $130 with no luck. Have not tried bidding on 3.5* yet.

Thanks for the LMT info. I couldn't find an exact match at $143. I did see a 4* in Nob Hill for $125 and a 3.5* for $99. If I list amenities here, can someone help ID them?

We don't usually do LastMinuteTravell IDs here, not because we're opposed to them. Mostly due to time constraints. I don't think it violates any rule to post the info though if you want and see if any members want to try and ID. A mod will remove if there's an issue. slruud is good at these if he sees it in your timeframe.

You might have 3.5* Pricline success in USE/USW/Embarcadero for less than you've bid for 4*. The Nob Hill 4* on LMT at $125 is a good deal too.

SF Marathon is Sun 7/25.

The 4* Union Square/Nob Hill property for $125 appears to be a match for the Westin St. Francis....number of rooms matches and it's pictured in the "Birds Eye" view. It also shows as "on request" and not "available", so that might put a wrinkle in the process. I still see the $143 property, and it is listed as "available". Not much help for the 3.5*, but will keep looking.

Just bid up to $135 for 3.5* or better in USE, USW, Embarcadero, Fishertman's Wharf, and SOMA. With fees and taxes, it puts me really close to the $143 LMT offering, so I'm leaning towards using LMT for the first time.

Are LMT's star ratings and zone profiles fairly liberal compared to priceline/hotwire? I'm wondering how big of a risk it would be going with the 3.5* for $99 in Nob Hill area.

I'm not experienced with LMT but it's common for two rating systems to vary by a half point, or a full point, on the same hotel. Just knowing that I'd say there's a good chance the 3.5* on LMT is a 3* on Priceline.

Since you were rejected to $135 for 3.5* in all those zones and it's SF Marathon weekend the main thing, I think, is you should book something pretty soon.

Either buy one of the LMT options or try PRICELINE---maybe $85 or $90 for 3* in all those zones, and see if you can undercut the $99 at LMT. Opinions differ but none of the known 3* in Fish Wharf or Downtown is generally considered a dump. You'd be lucky to get a 3* for $90 for these dates, I think.

The main thing is not to wait too long, whether LMT or PRICELINE.

I still see the $143/nite property as available, the $125/nite property on request, and now I see the Intercontinental SOMA for $137/nite as available.

I'm not too familiar with 3*, but the location for the $99/nite property appears near to Powell and Market.

Not sure if the OP is driving or not, but BART wise, I would take the Intercontinental SOMA.

Your are still within the 7 day $25 cancellation period, so if you find a drop dead deal on PRICELINE, you can cancel.

The Intercontinental is rated a 4* or 4.5*, and I don't see it offered anymore, at least not in the last couple of minutes.

The 3.5* for $99/nite might be the Villa Florence, but no guarantees.

As far as the on request process, pretend that you are going through to purchace the room, and they will explain what the process is.

You guys rock. You will go far and wide to help a poster - some poster, any poster - who may have never posted before, and may not again. All to save them a few $$$. Maybe with the Internet, we are just one big village....
I've seen you do the same... so a pat on the back to you as well! :)

arbitrageur,

Congratulations on your success... glad you found something which works well for your needs and budget.

Enjoy your trip!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]