NJ Newark Sheraton Four Points Hotel Elizabeth

LoneStar
By LoneStar,
in

This hotel is in the new Elizabeth, Newark Airport zone, and I'd recommend that you avoid bidding in it if you want a "better" 3 star property. This hotel is misrated and, at least so far, priceline does not seem inclined to do anything about it. I've complained a couple times and it gets (accurate) poor reviews on every website.

What's actually wrong with the hotel? Stated simply, it's just not a 3 star property. The location, while convenient to the airport, is otherwise exceptionally poor -- you're not going to be leaving this hotel on foot. The property is very old, and looks extremely dingy on the outside. Inside, the lobby area is OK, but other parts of the hotel need extensive renovations. The elevators look like they belong in a tenament and are an embarassment. The rooms themselves are reasonably clean (not spotless) but quite small for a US hotel. The fabric on the chair in my room was badly stained. The hotel uses inferior linens -- for some reason, the sheets on my bed wouldn't stay on, and the thin towels reminded me of a 1 star property. As an old hotel, the rooms aren't sound proof and the doors are so thin that you hear all hallway noise. Most of the guests there during my stay were foreigners (who apparently didn't know better) and a massive school group (obviously looking for cheap digs). BTW, I'm guessing that was the reason I was only able to get a single bedded room, even though I asked in advance for 2 beds (they were at least nice in declining my request).

Until the end of March, the hotel swimming pool is closed for repairs. The guy at the front desk said other rennovations were being planned, so perhaps in a few months or years this property will be improved.

That said, the hotel is currently not horrible. I would say its current condition warrants a 2 star status, and if they reopen the pool and make some other cosmetic repairs, it would not be outrageous to rate it a 2.5 star. If I just needed a night at Newark and I had to pay a lot more to stay elsewhere, I'd consider staying here again. It's kind of like being at an old Holiday Inn or Days Inn. You don't want to pay a lot, and you don't want to be "tricked" into believing you're getting something you're not.

• 3 months later...

I would agree that this is not one of the "better" 3 star properties but the only part of the 3 star PL description where it might be sub-par is a "high quality" room. Some furniture is a bit worn. The elevators are also worn but mainly because the hotel - for some unknown reason - used a lot of wood trim in there that hasn't held up well.

The hotel has a restaurant that serves all 3 meals, room service, fitness room, indoor/outdoor pool,- (these four will get it a 3 star rating with PL) - free wireless throughout the hotel, free USA Today and WSJ. There are several restaurants and businesses within walking distance (a third of a mile).

As mentioned elsewhere, the Jersey City zone is much better for those wanting to visit the city but I wouldn't hesitate to bid this for a one night stay before or after a flight.

• 1 month later...

Stayed at this hotel recently.....

It is good for a one-nighter.....the rooms and the atmosphere just makes it seem like an upgraded EconoLodge !!.

And currently, they are doing a lot of renovations, adding to the noise and stench around.

This Four Points Sheraton does not compare to others with similar star ratings (e.g, the Wyndham at the other side of 1&9 North.

What I like however is the swimming pool, free wireless service, exercise room and a cheap parking ($5/night) compared to $15-$20 at the Wyndam.

cheers, Noela

• 2 weeks later...

I bid $65 for a three star at newark and got ripped off by four points sheraton

Just stayed there 8/21 and have to agree with other posts

the sign in small print at the counter should be a warning

something about this hotel is owen independantly and operated under a license from sheraton

I will be flying into EWR and doing business in the NY NJ area probably 3-4 times over the next year

I decided to sleep at the airport since I got in late

I should have just driven to Princeton

This hotel is all wrong

Its not to far from the airport but not to close

They mentioned that I was from priceline

they gave me a decent room but it was dirty and run down

The carpet neede to be vacuumed

the bathroom had hair on the floor and tub

the counter had a cigareete burn

there was litter in the room

the blanket on the bed had cigarete burns and the wallpaper was peeling

the airconditoner woered well but in the morning I tried to iron a shirt and the iron had some crap on it thet ruined my shirt

the halls were not airconditioned and smelled old

the signs in the hotel said pardon while we remodel

they looked like the signs had been there so long that they needed to remodel the signs

you have to pay 5 dollars to park of over night

here is how the satff was

they gave me a parking voucher when i checked in it said presnet at checkout

in the am i showed it at the counter

the attendant said i could just drive out that there was nothing to do

when i got to the gate

they had to call back in to the hotel

this delay cost me a minute i dint have as i was already running late from the ironing incident

get the picture

I plan to let priceline know this hotel is a 2 not a three

and I agree if you dont want to get ripped at EWR stay out of this zone

It is a shame that Priceline continues to ignore the overwhelming evidence that this is not a 3 star property. It reflects poorly on them, and is one of the reasons I rank their customer service one of the worst in the travel industry.

The good thing is that, with the on-going renovation, the hotel will probably continue to improve. Heck, I see now the pool has reopened. That's at least something.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]