VA Arlington Hyatt

homeschoolmom
By homeschoolmom,
in

We stayed here 1/31-2/5/05. This hotel is in a quite congested area replete with one-way streets. Unless you are familiar with this locale, get a map AND directions. Porte cochere is located on a side-street. Lobby was rather small, but I didn't care about that. Check-in was uneventful except for the fact that, even though I showed my Gold Passport, I didn't receive a GP room. (Didn't complain, as I am unsure as to what the room differences would be.) Room was a decent size and decorated in shades of beige/brown. Bed left a lot to be desired (not unusual for a Hyatt, in our experience)-- only full-size and quite soft. Recent renovation, but done in a shoddy manner, e.g. ripped wallpaper around sprinkler head, bathtub sloping to one side, terrible tile job in shower, mismatched toilet tank and bowl. Everything was clean-looking, though, and staff was friendly.

Fitness center (3rd floor) had 2 treadmills, 3 bikes, free weights, and some other weight machines, water and lemon slices, 2 TVS-- good (no headphones-- not so good). In the back corner of the fitness center (near the bathroom) they have a stacked washer/dryer, so you can wash your clothes for free (very nice), just bring your own detergent or pay gift shop prices downstairs. No pool, hot tub, sauna at this property; too bad. Parking was $12 weekdays, free on weekends.

By far, the biggest plus for this Hyatt is its location. If you exit from the parking garage on Fort Myer Dr., you can cross the street and walk half a block to the Rosslyn Metro Station. For us, it was almost as convenient as being in D.C. and, if you do stay in D.C., you're likely to be farther from a metro station anyway. Plan on at least $3 per person subway fare (round trip to one stop), and bring $5 bills or smaller, or just pay with a credit/debit card. There is a small Safeway grocery store in the opposite direction of the Metro (uphill) -- I guess it's about 4 blocks. Prices were quite high, but then again, this store has to provide a parking garage for customers. Regardless, we were happy to have a place to buy milk, o.j., Krispy Kremes, and fresh fruit for breakfast.

Restaurant options: I saw 2 in the hotel (one served bar fare, the other served steaks/seafood--$$$). There is a Ruby Tuesday's directly across the street. Also, in the direction of Safeway but on the opposite side of street, there is a BBQ (Red, hot, and Blue). We ate at the Burger King (on the other street that borders the Metro station)--- BEWARE, they gave my child milk that was so bad I almost vomited on the spot. We also ate at McDonald's (MUCH better) and just a block or two farther. Tom Sarris' Orleans House is 3, maybe 4, blocks away and was quite good; salad bar was extensive and the restaurant (and hostess) is something to see-- can't describe it adequately here, but a neat experience. If I went again, I would definitely order the prime rib. I think our total bill (3 adult entrees, milk/sodas, and a decent tip) was just over $70. I also ordered Pizza Hut delivery, that was fine, and delivery (no fee) from Mom's Pizza-- gyro dinner was good, Greek salad average, Spanakopita (spinach pie) didn't have as much cheese as we like (each dinner cost $7-9), and baklava ($2-3) was good. There is a small mall adjoining the metro station with a few restaurants inside, incl. a gourmet deli, and also a Rite-Aid drug store. I bet there are some good restaurants in Little Saigon (Clarendon Metro or drive-- too far to walk); we drove by-- I wish I'd had more time to explore there.

Besides the Safeway, there is a Giant grocery store (no address on my rec't, just #771) and CVS/Eckerds Drug just off I-66 a few exits west (away from D.C.), as well as a much bigger Safeway on the other side of the I-66 overpass.

A few D.C. restaurants we liked: Potbelly's (delicious sandwiches $3.79 plus ice cream/shakes/malts $2.69? I think-- neat decor, too) 4-5 locations, they're listed on the SAM (tourist helpers that stand around Metro exits) maps; China Doll (lunch specials for $6-8, good desserts-- napoleons, fruit tarts, etc. for $0.99- 2.50) across the street from the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro near CVS; buffet at Dirksen Senate Office Bldg. ($12 adult, $8 kid, incl. soda and ice cream)-- a good price for an all-you-can-eat nutritious meal and very close to Capitol, Sup. Court, Lib. of Con., and the gelato bar at the Cascades Cafe, National Gallery of Art-- pricey, but the banana mango, blueberry, amaretto, ...ohhhh, they are heaven on a spoon. :)

Forgot to mention one thing: We had a 7:30 am tour of the White House on Sat. morn. Since Metro doesn't run early enough on weekends, we took a cab. For 4 of us, it was $11 not including tip, which I thought was very reasonable; this is only about 2x what it would've cost to take Metro, and with less walking and waiting. I think cab service from Arlington to D.C. is a much better deal than cab service from point-to-point within D.C.

• 2 years later...

:) Needed a very last minute stay on November 10, 2007. Successfully bid at $65 per night and checked into the hotel 20 minutes later. In agreement with previous reviewer that a detailed map is needed to find the hotel sucessfully on the first try, but I wasn't disappointed once I arrived. Hotel was clean, quiet and my room was in very good condition. Staff was helpful and parking was very accessible. One of the smallest Hyatt's that I have ever stayed at, but it met my needs. Would stay there again.

• 1 year later...

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City (Arlington, VA) for three nights, Friday - Monday, March 6-9, 2009. I paid $55 per night through Priceline. I originally only bid for Saturday and Sunday nights, but was offered the opportunity to add nights at the same rate and location on both ends of my reservation, so added Friday night after checking to ensure I could get cheap airfare to DC on Friday as well as Saturday. (I saved enough $$ by not flying in on Monday to more than cover the cost of the 3 nights' hotel costs and 3 days of meals. Why are Saturday night stayovers a requirement by AIRLINES? They're not in the hotel business also, are they?)

The hotel was quite nice. I would rate it four stars, but only because the bathroom was small. I had a king room with a very comfortable bed. The room included a full size desk with worklight and power strip for my portable electronics, sofa that would comfortably seat 3-4 adults, a chair, coffee table, two end tables and armoire containg a 32" flat screen tv. If anyone had phoned me using the hotel phone instead of my mobile, I had my choice of three phones to use to answer the call.

The hotel is difficult to access unless you are a local accustomed to the streets. As I was not driving, it wasn't a problem for me. I used the free hotel shuttle from Reagan National airport and also to the Pentagon City Metro station. Cabs in the Virginia area are cheap, especially vs. the DC prices. A limo to Capitol Hill for four people was $17.00. Not bad in cold, snowy weather!

When I needed to transfer to my conference hotel on Monday morning, there were no cabs available due to a winter storm overnight. The hotel shuttle took me (at no charge) to my conference at a rival hotel.

Downsides:

No refrigerator or microwave in the room.

There are no low-cost food options in the hotel or within easy walking distance. I took the Metro to Pentagon City Metro station and went into Pentagon City mall for meals, or ate somewhere before returning to the hotel. I went back to Reagen National airport via Metro from downtown DC for a meal at Legal Seafood. I then took the (free) shuttle back to the hotel, which kept me out of the wind and snow in both directions.

The hotel internet service is expensive -- approximately $12.00/day for T-Mobile hotspot. I followed the popup link to T-Moble and purchased a one-day pass for $5.95 instead of using the hotel's "convenient" link to bill internet access to my room.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]