Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on Hudson

UrsM
By UrsM,
in

Hi I'm new to this board,

first I like to thank you for creating such a great site! I used it a lot to plan my trip to NYC in march...

After I read all the positive reports about the Hyatt Jersey City I decided to stay there. It seems to be really good and much cheaper than all the hotels in Manhattan.

Now I have a few questions about the area as I got to know that ThereUare is living there. Are there any fast food restaurants near the Hyatt? For example Wendy's or Subway? Are there any supermarkets which can be easily found?

Thank you such much for your help :)

Ralph

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm glad you found this site helpful in planning your trip, but one of the reasons why it is so helpful is due to users posting and sharing their bidding information and hotel results... please do the same so that you can help future users in the same manner that you have been helped by prior users (and the cycle will continue).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I will definitely do that, when I'm buying the hotel room. I tried to bid on PL on tuesday once (wasn't successful for $55) and will try today again. Wanted to get the hotel before reporting it... :)

Or do you think I should report my failing bid also?

If I'm not successful today, I will buy the hotel room on hotwire.

Ralph

Sorry, it sounded as if you had already won this hotel.

Please do report your failed bids, as it could save others from 'wasting' a lowball bid if they happen to be looking at the same date(s) as you... a lot can be learned from both winning and losing bids. It certainly can't hurt, and it could help :)

You can put your bidding history in this thread and then i'll adjust the title and move it to the NEW JERSEY >> PRICELINE section fo the board (if Hotwire is ultimatley used i'll then move the post to the Hotwire section).

I've got a few things i need to attend to right now but will follow-up with the supermarket/fast food comments in a bit.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi :)

I will fly to NYC on 3/11 till 3/13 and therefore need a hotel room in this wonderful city.

Thanks to this site I found out that there's a great hotel in Jersey City (Hyatt Jersey City) and decided to stay there.

I bid on tuesday $55 for a 3* hotel in Jersey City and wasn't successful. I will try later to bid again when the 72 hours are over.

Do you have an advice for me? How much should I bid?

Thank you :)

Ralph

Don't worry, that was just a little misunderstanding :)

I posted my bidding history in the NJ section. Hopefully my post is correct that way otherwise please edit it!!

Now I see that even failed bids can help others because they will not do the same mistake I did.

I'm looking forward to hear some of your tipps for me regarding the supermarket/fast food question.

I have merged all your threads into one...

Given the Hotwire rate, I'm actually very surprised that you were not accepted at $55... how long ago did you bid that amount?

The 'problem' is that as you go much higher you start to put the Doubletree into the mix as a possibility... the lowest the Doubletree has been reported is $60, but nobody can say for certain what the absolute floor on this property is.

I think if i were bidding again i would do the following:

1) First, check to make sure that what is believed to be the Hyatt appears for the individual nites of 3/11 and 3/12 (if not, don't proceed).

2) I would then make a $48 bid for just one nite...

-if accepted bid the other nite at $48

-if rejected bid both nites together at $56 (still a chance that the Doubletree could come up)

3) based upon your acceptance/rejection in number #2 above, purchase the balance on Hotwire

I don't think it's worth the risk of bidding $60 or above as you would then increase your chances of getting the Doubletree (not a bad hotel in my opinion, but it's not the Hyatt).

The supermarket is much closer to the Doubletree (in fact, the Doubletree is in a corner of the supermarket's parking lot), but you can get there from the Hyatt too. It's about a 15 minute walk or a 2 minute ride on the LightRail (cost $1.50/each way). The supermarket is a Shop Rite.

As far as fast food, there is an Uno's nearby the Hyatt, a Fatburger next to the Uno's, a "Le Croissant Shop" (or some place of similar french name), a subway or a blimpie (not sure which, but it's on Montgomery St).

However, i would sooner suggest you try some independently owned restaurants instead of the large mega-chains...

If you're staying in Jersey City we have arranged for board members to get 10% Off at the Baja, a cuban lunchonette/restaurant type of place named La Conguita (do a search on the board), Oddfellows for pretty good bar food, as well as come to Hoboken which opens up a whole new selction of HOBOKEN choices.

Thanks for your very helpful post :)

I bidded $55 on tuesday (2/22) und was rejected. I was also quite surprised as the hotwire rates are relatively low on these two days.

I will follow your strategy in about 2 hours because I will first wait until the 72 hour lockout is over. To combine hotwire and priceline seems to be a really good plan. Do I have to change rooms if I book them seperately?

Thank you for the information about restaurants, fast food chains and the supermarket near the doubletree. That will be truly useful for me! I will definitely try the Baja restaurant.

I will keep you informed about the success I will hopefully have bidding on PL and hotwire :)

Sorry for my late report about my bidding!

I tried your strategy on saturday but was rejected on all bids. Tried each night alone for $48 and both nights together for $56.

Will try to bid once again on tuesday. If I'm not successful then I will finally buy the hotel room on hotwire.

Any suggestions how much I should bid the next time? I could stay one night longer in the hyatt (3/11 - 14) if that is of any help...

Thank you for your help!

I wouldn't be raising my bid for the reasons stated previously... not worth the risk of getting an alternate hotel in the area. Given the alternatives become much more expensive if the Hotwire offering disappears (and Priceline fails once again) i dont' know if i would even be waiting.

If you go thru Hotiwre please THIS LINK.

Hi, I just wanted to tell you how my last bids were doing.

I wasn't successful bidding $52 and $55 on 3/2 so I finally decided to buy the hotel room via hotwire for $73. Used the link you provided.

Thank you for all the information you gave me!

UrsM

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]