PL puttine a Double hold on funds in bank

Ringman
By Ringman,
in

PL put in the normal charge on my card from Priceline-- then a secondary charge from "WORLDSPAN TEST"--

Eventually (4 days) the one should drop off (which one i now know not...)- BUT, in the meantime- i've lost the use of funds-----

shouldn't be a big deal usually-- but I've never, ever seen PRICELINE do this before--

As I was heading to a family reunion, I had approx 20 rooms to book over a 3 night period-- actually don't want to let them withhold over $1000 until they and the bank decide to release it.....

(i only bought one room so far- was going to show the fam what you could get and have them switch to my PRICELINE methodology...)

Just for fun, I called PL (like duh... now that they're indians answering, all i get is the boost to your ego you get with all their apologies...)-- but I spent an hour on the phone with them- then of course was given the ol' "hold for two minutes, if you would please, while I transfer you to ....."

I was just waiting for the inevitable... but this one actually came back twice to ask me to wait for 2 more minutes- and then hung up on me....

I hate beauracracy.............. :)

but really-- since when do you get a double hold from PRICELINE?-- The hotel sometimes will do it over a weekend (friday nights), and then the plan is to refund you when they receive the funds from PRICELINE-- (although I'm still owed $75 from an Oklahoma City hotel from .... I think 1999...)

How much is this secondary charge? Like one or two dollars? Or a significant amount?

no no no....

they charge FULLY double the original amount...

or let me say -- the billed the identical amount again -- once under PL -- once under WORLSPAN TEST...

That's very troubling. That extra double charge is basically a very short term loan PL has granted themselves. In today's faster-than-light stock exchange markets a company could use that double charge on an investment for those 4 days and sell at a profit and give you back your charge.

Not saying that's exactly what's actually happening but it's possible and I'm sure something in that vein is taking place.

PL put in the normal charge on my card from Priceline-- then a secondary charge from "WORLDSPAN TEST"--
Could you please share your win with the board.
That extra double charge is basically a very short term loan PL has granted themselves. In today's faster-than-light stock exchange markets a company could use that double charge on an investment for those 4 days and sell at a profit and give you back your charge.
REALLY?? :) Do you really think that a company the size of PRICELINE (and which being a public company needs to have audited financial statements) is messing around with a hundred dollars (or whatever the amount of this stay, which we don't know since there was no reported win) and playing the stock market or other short term vehicle with the funds? (which they could just as easily lose money instead of make money)
a secondary charge from "WORLDSPAN TEST"
How about a more likely scenario that either PRICELINE or worldspan is testing some backend coding and a mistake was made.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Not to those extreme for a company like PL no, but in practice the bit about them granting themselves a short term loan applies. They could just put them on a savings account for that short time and the accumulated percentages of 1000 such shorts every year eventually add up. Likely? No. Possible? Certainly.

In the end it doesn't really matter what they are doing with the money, it's the general practice of double charging that is unacceptable. Giving out your credit card info is something you only do to reliable, serious businesses. Unless this is just a mistake (which is perfectly possible since we haven't heard of anyone else reporting this) it would make me wary of using PL again with large amounts of money.

SocialAdept,

The second duplicate charge was from Worldspan, not from Priceline. Priceline uses Worldspan's reservation system but they're two separate unrelated companies. If someone was benefitting from the "float" on Ringman's money here it would be Worldspan, not Priceline.

I've never heard of a Priceline customer getting charged by Worldspan before, so it sounds like some kind of glitch to me, more than a money-making scheme or a conspiracy.

Ringman,

Has the Worldspan charge fallen off?

If not is there a Worldspan contact number on your statement? I would contact Worldspan customer service (rather than Priceline) since the erroneous charge was from Worldspan. If they can't help you then back to Priceline and keep fussing until you get a resolution.

(And p.s. Please share the win details for the hotel you purchased.)

I agree its unlikely Priceline needs your petty cash, I would be more concerned about the security of your information. Its always possible to get scammed. I would call your bank immediately and at least report so you can say you did so if you need to take recourse in the future. Corporations love to use your inaction against you. Also send priceline an e-mail as well as mailed letter asking for clarification and stating that you are keeping records and are advising your bank and possibly local authorities of the situation. Most likely it's nothing more than an innocent mistake or an obnoxious policy change, but it never hurts to be careful.

SocialAdept,

I've never heard of a Priceline customer getting charged by Worldspan before, so it sounds like some kind of glitch to me, more than a money-making scheme or a conspiracy.

Well maybe I overdid it, my point is that you should be suspicious and act as a major nuisance for anyone handling your credit card info this way.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry- hectic week- family reunion and all...

Worldspan charge dropped off- I believe Tuesday night or Wednesday-- (originally charged both Friday- with the Monday bank holiday- that's what i kinda expected...)

I had no doubt that it would-- just pissin' me off that they tied up my money-- so I ended up not using them to change all the rooms- (I'm not going to be the goat at the reunion- and have to explain to dodgey in-laws {okay- so actually- I'm probably the only dodgey one in the crowd....} why they hit their credit limits with double charges over the weekend....)

... did I mention how occasionally PL and the hotel bill you- and then you get to argue with both until they do or don't refund you....--

maybe they've put a red asterik by my name--

'cuz- the same trip- different hotel and PL reservation- but same account-- Holiday Inn Joplin MO billed me the $32.48- while PL billed my their $40.91 (already made the obligatory calls to each-- PL said 5 days and they would email me a resolution- Holiday Inn had me leave a voice message at "accounting"...)

I'd write it all off to bad Karma-- but the family reunion actually went off without any disasters (!! :) )--

and I will get those two PL "wins" up-- I've been just a tad busy i'm afraid....

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]