Priceline gave me a full refund

jcm81
By jcm81,
in

Last July I bid on a 4* hotel in Boston and hit a winning bid of $95 for 2 nights at the Hilton Financial District.

At check-in I was told the hotel was completely sold out and no rooms available, despite my reservation. Another couple checked in after us, but apparently they made their reservation directly with Hilton, and those reservations receive priority over Priceline. Interestingly, a solo traveler was also denied check-in, and he said he used Expedia.

I was relocated to the Park Plaza for the first night and told to come back to the Hilton for the second night. After a lot of yelling about the inconvenience caused, I realized this was our only option. The only concessions made were 2 taxi fares to the Park Plaza, free parking for our stay and 2 free breakfast buffets.

After 2 calls to Priceline I was able to get a full refund for the trip in the amount of $223.46.

Good to know they offer refunds when hotels fail to honor their commitments. :)

You might have been refunded because you were walked from a 4* in one zone to a 3.5* in a different zone. You didn't get what you originally bid for then. If you're walked from one 4* to another 4* in the same zone Priceline doesn't usually refund.

• 4 weeks later...

This board might have just put a couple hundred bucks back into my pocket. I had two reservations through Priceline to the Courtyard by Marriott outside of Milwaukee. When I got to the hotel, they said they couldn't honor either of them and I was "walked" from the 3 star Courtyard to the 2 star Candlewood Suites a couple of miles away.

The thing is that they never told me that I was only being walked for one night. I got the hint though when the maid at the Candlewood tried to get into my room TWICE before 11am despite my do not disturb sign being on my door. When I called down to the desk, I asked when they had me scheduled to check out and they told me in 45 minutes!

I asked the Candlewood if that meant that Marriott had a room for me. They called and Marriott did indeed have a room ready for me. I was on vacation and had been out until about 3am the night before. I really didn't want to get up and pack my stuff and go back to the Courtyard, but what choice did I have other than staying at the Candlewood on my dime?

Because I had read on this board that Priceline doesn't like it when their guests get walked, I called Priceline customer care and told them all about my experience. They profusely apologized and opened a case with their resolution department. I am supposed to find out within 48 hours what, if anything, they are going to do about it. I am aiming for a full refund on both reservations.

• 1 month later...
Possible stupid question. But what doing being "walked" mean?

there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! :)

to be "walked" is jargon for a hotel to not honor your reservation due to overbooking and put you up in similar accomodations nearby. I don't believe there is a law to enforce this, but if hotel management walks a guest, they should pay for your room, round trip cab fare, and breakfast for all in your party.

to be "walked" is jargon for a hotel to not honor your reservation due to overbooking and put you up in similar accomodations nearby. I don't believe there is a law to enforce this, but if hotel management walks a guest, they should pay for your room, round trip cab fare, and breakfast for all in your party.

I don't think the breakfast part is 'standard industry practice... many hotels don't have restaurants or offer breakfast, so there would be no way to honor this. While some hotels may add this in for the inconvenience, i think standard is pay for the room and round trip transportation.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]