Don't forget your car rental discount

LoneStar
By LoneStar,
in

Cars seem to be particularly cheap in Hawaii this year, so be on the lookout to save money -- and check back periodically after you book for even a better deal, since the rates keep coming down. Orbitz seems to be a good place to start comparison shopping.

As an example, I now have a 1 week full size rental from National at the Kona Airport for a base rate of $119. They gave me an additional "association" discount of $17 and allowed me to apply a $20 off coupon from the Entertainment Book. So that's now only $82 (+ tax and fees, of course) for the week. I've never seen car rental rates that low in Hawaii.

FWIW, rentals in Kona seem to be the cheapest in Hawaii right now, but Maui and Kauai rentals are almost as inexpensive. Honolulu rates are also reasonable, but seem better by the week than by the day.

The only cars that aren't cheap are minivans and SUVs. So if you positively have to have one, maybe priceline bidding makes some sense. We've had some reports of minivans going in the mid $20s/day through priceline.

Now if we could only get the hotels to lower their rates to these levels. One night at a resort hotel -- even on priceline -- costs far more than a week's car rental.

• 1 year later...

"The only cars that aren't cheap are minivans and SUVs"

I would add convertibles to that list. They don't come cheap in Hawaii. They keep those at a premium price.

I actually found a convertible cheaper in Maui than I did The Big Island. You just have to shop around and if the prices are high, wait. My advice it to check back often. I have had prices change with rental cars with in hours of each other.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Actually I was just able to score over Priceline in LIH a standard SUV for 35 USD, confirmed actually with Hertz which totally surprised.

Total coast from 2nd - 6th of May 185 USD incl. of all taxes, compared with the midsize SUV with Hertz I previously rented including all discount and rates codes I had available which was 350 USD. Not too shaby, pretty happy customer :) :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]