Priceline Hotel: 1* Los Angeles (Redondo-Manhattan Beaches) Ramada Limited

leisawessa
By leisawessa,
in

Hi all,

Family of 4 (2 Adults, 2 kids) coming in from Australia.

I've been bidding for over 4 weeks now, every 2nd day going higher and higher and no luck

Dates: (One night only) 13th August 2010

Applying for Redondo Beach/Manhattan

Budget: $55 - 3.5*

I have applied for the above dates in this area for even a 2 star hotel at $48 and was rejected. (started at $40, going up by $2 every 2nd day).

I've read so many success stories of winning bids for this area (Crowne plaza keeps popping up) at winning bids of $45.

Please assist or advice me of any what I need to do to win (I was thinking maybe I was bidding to far in advance).

Thank you

Welcome to BetterBidding!

It could just be early, but i suspect that rates are higher for your dates then when we typically see bids in the $40's accepted at this property.

Go to the Crowne Plaza website and search for your dates and you'll see that rates start at $179/nite... then search for dates in May and you'll see that rates are typically $79-$109/nite. Based upon the hotel direct rate for your dates, your sub-$50 bids are less than 1/3 of the going rate... not a high probability for a winning PRICELINE bid. Based upon current rates i'm guessing that you'll need to be somewhere closer to $65-$85 at this time.

Also, keep in mind that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy... after that it's at the discretion of the hotel. Based upon occupancy, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to accommodate your request for a room with two beds. Are you willing to accept the risk that you'll receive a room with only one bed? If not, i'd look at HOTWIRE where you can search for up to quad occupancy.

Also, if you choose to continue bidding on PRICELINE, are you familiar with and using your re-bid zones? If not, see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and if you're new to the concept it's highly recommended you ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Let us know your thoughts based upon the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The majority of reported wins in Manhattan-Redondo zone are at just two hotels: the 3.5* Crowne Plaza and 3* Residence Inn.

thereuare already explained about Crowne Plaza---you're probably bidding too low for a summer weekend (and you may be bidding too early as well).

As for Residence Inn...most wins there seem to occur shortly before travel dates, like within two weeks, or even one week, and your trip is still 3 months away.

As mentioned, Priceline only guarantees double occupancy, which could be a room with one bed. (If you win the Residence Inn though all rooms have one bed plus hideaway.)

Searching Hotwire on "3 adults/0 children", which guarantees two beds, I find a 3.5* for $119 and a 2.5* for $89. PRICELINE usually beats HOTWIRE on price but not by $89 vs $48 (your highest bid so far). And if you bid higher on PRICELINE and get accepted there's still the potential bedding issue.

Unless you're willing to bid higher than $48 on PRICELINE now (and take the chance on two beds) my suggestion is to put this aside for a month. HOTWIRE may have more two bed inventory then, and maybe better prices.

Keep us posted and good luck!

(If you wait it out you should book a cancellable backup reservations somwhere, just in case PRICELINE and HOTWIRE don't come through for you.)

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't done anything yet as it's still 8 weeks away, I was told it's too early.

I will add my winnings when it's done and of course I will add my results and feedback to where we stay for other future travellers as isn't that the idea of this forum..

Just so you know I will be travelling to these places and will bidding on most places for accomodation thru this website using the links and of course I'll add all my winnings etc

Travelleing with 2 kids (2 & 4yrs old) over 26 days: California, Colorado, Illinois, Ohio, New York, Canada, Michigan back to California then back home to Australia.

People win Crowne Plaza in $40's or $50's but more often that's offseason, or on slow nights. Your date's a Friday night peak season, and Crowne Plaza's lowest rate has gone from $179 to $224 since this thread started.

Hotwire has a 3.5* in Manhattan-Redondo for $109 that looks like Crowne Plaza. Incidentally it's the same price--$109--whether searching on 2adults/0 children (guarantees 1 bed) or 2 adults/2 children (guarantees 2 beds).

PRICELINE usually beats HOTWIRE on price. You can likely win a Priceline 3.5* now, maybe in the $65-85 range thereuare mentioned earlier. A Priceline win won't guarantee two beds though.

Unless CP's rate comes down you probably won't succeed at $55, even if you wait.

If you're looking for "best $55 hotel available" you might succeed at $55 for 3* or 2.5*.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I'm looking at hotwire for a hotel in Redondo Beach CA on the 12th August - 14th August with 2 children (1 & 4yo).

I've found this one on Hotwire - 2.5* $59 per night with complimentry Breakfast is all that it says in amenities.

Could anyone tell me what hotel you think it could be? Thanks

PS, I have nothing eles to report with other enquiries so please don't ask me to finish off other forum posts.

Travel time is still 6 weeks away and I have been told by many on this site it's still to early for Priceline, that's why i'm looking into Hotwire.

Any helpful tips for booking now would be appricated. (I'm a very orgainzed person and it's killing me not to have all this organized.

FYI - We will be needing 2 nites in Chicago (downtown), 2 nites in Niagara Falls (cananda), 2 nites in Toronto. and of course I will post my winning bids in appriate places when time comes)

Thanks everyone in advance for any help. (ps coming in from Australia)

As per the Hotwire Hotel List the Ramada Limited has been reported with just this solo Complimentary Breakfast icon at the 2.5* level so that would be my best guess for this one.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We bidded for 3* + at $60, 2*+ at $50 and went lower to 1* at $45 and Won.

Ramada Limited - Redondo Beach.

Not the hotel I wanted but you win some/loose some.

Will report back when we go

Check in - isn't until August 12th - 14th with 2 children (2 & 4)

Is that all the info I need to share?

For $45 this really doesn't look bad to me, leisawessa. It's a basic motel, yes, but the TripAdvisor reviews are respectable (3.5/5), and it's walking distance to the beach and marina. You could have won a higher rated hotel in the zone that's miles from the beach. Throw in free parking plus free breakfast for four and you've got yourself a nice bargain.

Hope it works out for you. Enjoy!

Thank you Colfax, I feel a whole lot better now, with breakfast included it will make up for it.

This is my first WIN.

It should be a nice walk to the beach.

Even though I booked for 2 nites we are only staying 1 night as we arrive very early on the Friday 13th (booked for 12 & 13th) so we could check in straight away. We really just need a place to get over jet lag and then move onto our next desination, so Ihope it's got comfortable beds and not bugs (as reported).

I will leave feedback once we have stayed.

Even though I booked for 2 nites we are only staying 1 night as we arrive very early on the Friday 13th (booked for 12 & 13th) so we could check in straight away. We really just need a place to get over jet lag and then move onto our next desination...

Since you're arriving after midnite on your reservation check-in date you should call the hotel ahead of time to let them know so that they don't think you're a no-show and cancel your reservation.

Enjoy your stay.

Since you're arriving after midnite on your reservation check-in date you should call the hotel ahead of time to let them know so that they don't think you're a no-show and cancel your reservation.

Enjoy your stay.

Yes I called them today - Took them 5 minutes (international phone call) to find my booking. All good, I've told them our plane lands at 7am the 13th and we will be coming in sometime after 8am. (good part about them is the free breakfast, so we'll pigg out and then sleep).

I got an upgrade from 1 queen bed to 2 queen beds but it's an extra $5 a night, is that right? Should I ask for an upgrade while confirming my booking or wait until we arrive (for future bookings).

Priceline only guarantees double occupancy which can be a room with one queen, or even one double (though that's not common).

Ramada charges $5 more for two queens on its own website so the $5 charge seems appropriate. If you book "2 adults/2 children" on Hotwire then the hotel can't charge extra because the room rate is for two beds.

My suggestion is to communicate with the hotel via email rather than phone. You'll have a record of your exchange then, in case the person you talked to on the phone isn't the person who's working when you arrive. And you won't have to sit on hold or pay long distance.

There's usually not a lot of communicating to do. You should request email confirmation that you've reserved two queens on xxx days, with an upgrade charge of $5 per day. And mention the late/early arrival. Then a couple days before your trip email once more to remind of late/early arrival.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]