Hotwire Hotel: Looking for tips on US PGA Golf in Wisconsin?

Diamond Dog
By Diamond Dog,
in

A friend of mine has tickets for the week at Whistling Straits, Wisconsin, for the US PGA Golf - he needs a room for 3 adults, from Mon 9th August for 7 nights, checking out on Monday 16th August?

I'm having little or no luck with the courses website, that seems to offer very little info around lodging in the area. He understands that he needs a car/auto to drive - but he has asked me to see where it would be viable to stay to make the commute acceptable? Also, do HOTWIRE have hotels in that area etc etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The closest major city is Sheboygan, which does have a few HOTWIRE hotels when searching for most dates. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any availability during this period (although I do see a 3* for $192 if searching for only 8/13-16; there is no availability when searching for the entire stay.) Most regular rate Sheboygan properties are also sold out when searching for the entire period.

What would be the desired max budget per night, and how far would your friend be willing to drive? There are better deals for the entire period about 20-30 mi away from Sheboygan. As for regular rate hotels, 10SPRING is a coupon code for $10 off per night via Expedia.com, while Orbitz.com coupon FABSAVE10 may work at some hotels for an extra 10% off.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Orbitz or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

It would depend on which direction he's coming in from. If he's driving up from the South, there's West Bend, which is to the North of Milwaukee. If he's coming from the West and driving East, there's Fond Du Lac. If coming down from the North and driving South, there's a lot in Green Bay.

I am seeing an America's Best Value Inn in Sheboygan available for approximately $136 per night on Expedia for the entire period, but that seems like an awful lot for an ABVI that gets so-so reviews.

On HOTWIRE, there is a 2.5* in West Bend for $58 with breakfast as one of the icons (breakfast, fitness, pool, business, internet, golf), but it is only showing for 8/9-13. If you click "continue" to go to the detail page and scroll down, the tripadvisor rating is a 4.5/5 with 4.5 of the circles highlighted, so the tripadvisor reviews for this mystery property are at least quite good (double check that the tripadvisor rating is showing.) I'm guessing this HOTWIRE listing may be the Hampton Inn West Bend or Country Inn/Suites West Bend.

The well-reviewed Americinn in nearby Germantown is $65 per night (30% off) via Hotels.com or Expedia.com for 8/13-16.

Elsewhere -

Fond Du Lac is to the West of Sheboygan, and there are not too many reasonable options there (I'm guessing those coming to Sheboygan for the PGA tour may also be looking in other nearby cities, as well.). In Oshkosh, which is not far from Fond Du Lac, there is a La Quinta that is $39 per night via Expedia for 8/9-16.

If your friend does stay near Milwaukee and has some free time, the Wisconsin State Fair is 8/5-15, and that is a really, really nice state fair - definitely a lot of fun.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Hotels.com or Expedia or Orbitz.com links to start your purchases and searches.

Aaron, thank you for your help - I really appreciate the time it must have taken you!

I think the Hampton Inn & suites at West Bend is available for the duration - includes a double bed and a sofa bed, plus complimentary breakfast. It's only about 32 miles from the course, and is about the same distance from the airport, so it's pretty well situated. It's coming out at $95 per night which, including taxes, is $757 for the 7 nights. That may be as good as he can reasonably expect, and the hotel is very well rated on Trip Advisor.

I will get him to book it via your Hampton Inn link, if he does go ahead with it. Whatever, I'll report back on conclusion?

Thanks again for your assistance. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]