Priceline Hotel: Resort San Juan (Rio Grande-Fajardo-El Yunque) El Conquistador

Captgerryf
By Captgerryf,
in

New to this process, so excuse my questions if they are already posted elsewhere (I've looked around the site, but didn't see anything specific).

Going on a cruise out of San Juan on 10/10/10 and want to stay overnight on 10/9 at a 4*.

Is there a map where the 4* hotels and resorts are located? This is one of those things I looked for but couldn't find.

When should I start to bid and at what price. I saw various "winners" for the Caribe Hilton ranging from $88 to $100. Should I expect that range of prices in October?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Managed to submit an initial lowball bid and multiple re-bids(one for each of the non-resort areas in SJ), finally ending up at the $88 amount that one previous bidder managed to get the Caribe Hilton for. I was not that lucky.

I tried to do the rebid process that allows for another series of re-bids, but I must have missed a step as priceline kept saying that I had already requested that trip.

I'll try again in 24 hours. Still need an idea at what bid to do a resort at for 10/9/10.

Also, how do I find out what resorts are available in San Juan besides the Caribe Hilton via PRICELINE?

thanks.

Also, how do I find out what resorts are available in San Juan besides the Caribe Hilton via PRICELINE?
You can see the hotels which have been reported to the board in the Priceline Hotel list (be sure to read the comments at the top of the post)
I tried to do the rebid process that allows for another series of re-bids, but I must have missed a step as priceline kept saying that I had already requested that trip.
Did you try to submit another bid for a Resort hotel in the San Juan zone OR did you include another (re-bid) zone? If you're not familiar with re-bidding see this Priceline Re-Bidding Explained thread and feel free to confirm your re-bid zones with the board before bidding (NOTE: at the "resort" class you have SIX re-bid zones... see if you can determine them and confirm them with the board)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I rebid using all of the six rebid zones and jumping the price of my bid $1 each time I added another zone. I saw on the boards where others have been told to close the browser and then you will have the opportunity to bid six more times. This is where I am confused. What exactly gets closed?

Also what price is reasonable to start with on Oct. 9, 2010 for 3.5 *, 4.0* and Resort? I found the hotel list that others have indicated they have had successful bids and looking at those hotels and the reviews, the 3.5* places look just fine because I'm only going to be at the hotel from 4:30 pm to 10:am the next morning. Some of the resort hotels had ratings that indicate they might not be worth the extra $$$ for such a short stay.

Can you list a bidding strategy for San Juan on October 9, 2010 for a 3.5 and up?

Thanks.

Probably $90 tops as I haven't seen a whole lot of successful bids higher than that. Most seem to be lower, but I'm sure the time of year has a lot to do with the acceptable bid amount. According to one web site, October is a slow time for San Juan, so I'm hoping a low bid will win it.

The Sheraton in Old San Juan seems to fit the bill as there is no need for a taxi from a further away location should I want to see the town for the short time I'll be there, but I know there is no guarantee on a specific hotel.

There are certainly times when it take more than $90 to win a hotel in San Juan.

With your maximum bid of $90, and you're previously rejected bid of $88, not much wiggle room to be successful at this time. If you choose to keep your maximum bid at $90, i would use the following strategy once a week (as any more often than that you will likely just get frustrated)

With your SIX re-bid zones i would bid as follows:

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 3.5* San Juan...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* San Juan and re-bid zone6...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $90

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I recently "won" the El Conquistador in Rio Grande/Fajardo Puerto Rico for $100. The one night stay isn't until 10/9/10, but I need to get this issue resolved ASAP.

Unfortunately, I clicked on this area instead of the San Juan box which is directly underneath it on the zone selection page. I know--my error, not Priceline's.

Calling Priceline within 15 minutes of seeing my error and a follow up e-mail has garnered a lot of "we're so sorrys" but they won't budge. Before I get flamed, I understand all of the rules and regs posted by Priceline, but I figured some good old fashioned Customer Service might be in order on Priceine's part--Fat Chance!!!

My question is--Has anybody been stuck with a hotel they didn't want and was able to swap it for another hotel within the same chain?

I was hoping to transfer the reservation from the El Conquistador to the El San Juan which is actually in San Juan. Both are part of the Waldorf Astoria Collection in the Hilton Group of hotels. I would even pick up the difference in the room rate from the bid amount to the posted room rate. It would probably cost me three times the $100 winning bid for transportation from the airport to El Conquistador and then to the cruise port plus the hours in a cab. I'm only going to be in San Juan for about 18 hours and really don't want to spend 1/3 of it in the back of a cab.

Should I just go directly to the hotel to see if they would do this or do they need the approval of the Great and Powerful Oz, i.e, Priceline?

Anybody that has actually negotiated through this type of situation and would be willing to help would be appreciated.

After rebidding multiple times and being rejected for a 3.5* in San Juan, I got up to $100 and accidentally hit Rio Grande/Fajardo check box for the zone instead of the San Juan checkbox.

My error resulted in my bid being accepted for 10/9/10 at the El Conquistador which is about 1 hour east of San Juan.

I'll have to eat the cost as Priceline doesn't take pity on people who make mistakes. I'm certainly not spending the short pre-cruise stay in Puerto Rico in the back of a cab traveling from the airport to the resort and then to the cruiseport the next morning, not to mention the cost of transportation would be three times the cost for the hotel room.

Lesson learned.

I think swapping reservations with another hotel in the chain is going to be very unlikely, although never hurts to try - and you could plead your case about covering the difference. The worst case scenario is that they say no, or tell you to contact PRICELINE (who would very likely say no.)

Still, I'd first suggest trying PRICELINE again, and you noted this above: "It would probably cost me three times the $100 winning bid for transportation from the airport to El Conquistador and then to the cruise port plus the hours in a cab. I'm only going to be in San Juan for about 18 hours and really don't want to spend 1/3 of it in the back of a cab." You could use that to plead your case to the service regarding unintentionally selecting the wrong zone.

I've never been able to get a hotel to make a swap, even in the same chain.

However, PRICELINE does have a policy by which you can get a partial refund if you accidentally booked in the wrong area. There is a $25 fee, and you cannot book another hotel in the same region for the same time period. To get the refund, you have to book a new hotel first.

the details are on the PRICELINE website and the procedure is carefully spelled out.

riche,

The "policy" you mention is not a steadfast rule and permission needs to be granted to be eligible for a "one time exception". You can't simply win a new hotel and then have the first booking cancelled.

Captgerryf,

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

• 4 weeks later...

This hotel offers an airport shuttle for $37 each way ... if I remember correctly this is a "limo" van, much better and cheaper than a cab. This is an awesome hotel in a great location, don't waste this opportunity (this hotel is favorited by celebrities).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]