Commuting Away from D.C. in the AM

homeschoolmom
By homeschoolmom,
in

I hope some D.C. gurus are reading this!! I have searched the Wash Post website, Metro website, etc., and found scant info on how traffic moves away from D.C. in the AM as well as toward D.C. in the PM. Is it comparable to the bottlenecks going in the opposite direction?

My DH will commute if less than 1 hour each way (otherwise will stay in Leesburg during the week-- not a big deal, already paid for); is this possible? And how much snow is too much to even bother trying to drive this distance?

Thanks in advance for your advice! Please tell me everything you can...

I'm not exactly sure to be honest, but generally, traffic in the DC metro area, particularly during rush hour, is bad - second worst in the nation behind Los Angeles. I've never tried to get from Arlington to Leesburg during rush hour, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took an hour or more, particularly coming back in the evening. The thing I'm not sure of is how the G.W. Parkway, which goes from Arlington to the Beltway (I-495) looks during the a.m. rush. going out there. But it wouldn't surprise me if it were bad given the number of people living in the city and close-in suburbs now commuting to the outer suburbs these days. (Loudoun County, where Leesburg is located, is the fastest growing county in the nation, and there are more and more corporations locating there, especially around Dulles Airport, which is now the nation's fifth busiest.)

With regard to snowfall, an inch or more during rush hour and the roads are just about paralyzed.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]