NYC Pizza

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

Pizza is a topic that NYers get passionate about, and it's probably my all time favorite food.

Here are a list of 'known' pizza places in and around the island:

Jonn's Pizza: 44th St b/w 7th adn 8th Ave, not the best in the list, but for convenience a great pie in a great atmosphere (it's a converted church) with open pizza stations in the back room where you can watch them pizza while u wait. Pizza is good and so are petes-a-rolls, but dont' venture into entrees as they're sub-par (EDIT: had a really bad experience here recently so i'm taking it off the list... The Village location is still very good, but i'd stay away from the Times Square location (i should have known better :( )

Lombardi's - 32 Spring St, first pizza place brought to NYC (america??) and still great charcoaled-crust

Grimaldi's (formerly Patsy's) 19 Old Fulton St Brooklyn - NOTE (BROOKLYN) first stop on A or C train, HIGH Street, when talk towards the water (down the hill) and look for the line. Probably the best known in the list and attracts tourists and locals alike. There is almost ALWAYS a line there so try to arrive at opening time OR at off hours (3:30, 4:00, etc) although you should expect a wait at any hour. After eating your pizza, WALK back to Manhattan via the Brooklyn Bridge and take in the Manhattan Skyline

Adrienne's Pizza Bar: 54 Stone St (hard to find if walking or in a cab, so print/look at a Gooogle map first) - this is my new "out on a saturday nite" pizza place. Drinks are expensive ($7 beer, $8-$12 wine) but the "grandma style pie" is very good. A collaboration between two known pizza makers, their granma pie (think rectangle crust... picture non-thick scicilian) is very good, high quality ingredients, and worthy of the $16 price tag for cheese (i'm not a toppings person, but i think they run ~$3/each)

Arturo's: 106 West Houston St (pronounced "How-ston" St), not necessarily traditional NYC pizza, but a good pie with a buttery-like crust. Good starting point for going out in the Village afterwards

Denino's - 524 Port Richmond Ave, STATEN ISLAND - not likely you'll make a trip out here but included as it's my favorite pizza place. You'd have to take the Staten Island Ferry to Staten Island then take the bus (i'm not sure of the number, but you can call, it stops infront of their door... or a cab ride i'm guessing woudl be ~$15/20 each way) so not worth the effort, but if you intend to take the Staten Isalnd ferry for the "ride" and to ride past the Statue of Librerty, maybe you want to venture it. Staten Island is a 'throw back in time' and this place is cheap (~$12 for a pie) and they make an excellent "regular" pie as well as their own style of "white" (no ricotta and no sauce... mozzarella cheese, garlic, onions... tastes like a garlic cheese bread pizza :) ). If you do venture here then head across the street for dessert to Ralph's (opened seasonally) and get a "creamed ice"

Artichoke Pizza: 328 E. 14th St - they make an artichoke slikce (as well as 'regular' pizza) and while it doesn't sound like it's appealing, if you like lasagna you'll like the artichoke slice (and it's think and HEAVY, thus filling, you woudln't want to eat more than one in a sitting)... it's basically a pizza slice with a 'white sauce' of cheese, cream, artichoke, and some other stuff. Very interesting, if you're in the area worth a stop, but not sure if a 'destination' (although you will wait on line)... unlike the above which are all pie places, this place is a "slice joint" and no tables, so need to order at the street side window then sit on the stoop (not sure if this is local term or not, but the stairs leading to somebody's apartment) to eat (UPDATED May 2012: i haven't been in awhile and have heard mixed reviews lately)

DiFara's - 1424 Avenue J, BROOKLYN - probably not worth the treck as unlike Grimaldi's which is also in Brooklyn, this place is a TREK, but i mention as many consider him the last of the real deal pizza makers. Do a websearch and you can learn more. I've had both good and bad here, but the place gets ridiculously busy and i can't wait more than one hour for a slice of pizza after traveling 1+ hours to get there, i do draw a line someplace (and i don't rave as much as others about it)

Una Pizza Napoletana (now closed) - 349 E 12th St - admittely i haven't tried this place yet, but many say best authenitic version of neopolitan pizza in the city. EXPENSIVE at ~$18 for a personal pie. (UPDATE: no, it's not that they couldn't survve selling $18 pizzas, they were too successful and although opened for just a brief time, they have sold to another pizza shop... will add more details as i get them)

Numero 28 - 28 Carmine St - i hesitated to add this place as i've only been there one, and while i recall it being very good/excellent, it's also unmemorable in that i haven't felt it was worthy of making a trip to the city to go back, but if in the area (Greenwich Village) and looking for pizza, it's worthy of a stop.

If you've attended one of the pizza places above and have a comment (good or bad) feel free to add your thoughts in a reply, but this will NOT turn into a pizza war thread (don't comment about somebody elses comment), keep all posts pertinent to your experience at one of the above place. There are a few other places with some 'buzz' right now which i hope to try in the near future, but won't be added until i've had firsthand experience. If you have a suggestion for the above list please PM me so i can try it before adding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Artichokes was a bit overrated in my opinion. I heard lots of hype and went down there a few months back. Got one white and one regular. The slices are indeed huge; I usually can devour 2 or 3 typical NYC slices, but after a half of each one I was out of commission. In the end though I found the white slice to be an overwhelming, oily, mess and the traditional cheese slice not very out of the ordinary.

When they first opened i thought it was excellent... but returned not too long ago and was also underwhelmed. I'd give it another shot if in the area,, but not worth the trip to the east side for me.

I've since tried this place which is excellent (although expensive):

Keste Pizzeria and Vino

271 Bleecker St

New York, NY 10014-4102

High-end, authentic, neapolitan pizza but not cheap ($10-$18 for a personal pie) and often a line in this small restaurant. Does well with a location across the street from the original John's so you know they're doing something right :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My go-to place whenever I am in New York is Patzeria, on 46 Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue. Can't tell you how many times I have squeezed myself on one of the three benches against the wall for a slice of "lasagna pizza." A lot of regulars from the theatre community go there before they go to work.

Proud to be Canadian!

• 2 months later...

Johns in the west village is my mecca for pie in the city. Johns is not upscale and hasn't changed a bit ( so glad ) as far back as I can remember. I enjoy scarffing while watching the world go by in one of their window booths. My personal favorite is their 14" pie with sausage and garlic, well done and I always leave the crust for last. If you are a stickler when it comes to ambienance, Johns is not for you.

I have even been known to travel up 295 to catch the NJT from Hamilton to Penn station jump on the subway and have a pie for lunch followed by a stroll round the village then back home,,AAAHHH

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there's BBQ Chicken pizza ANYWHERE in nyc/brooklyn?!

It is a HUGELY popular type of pizza where I live, California, but everytime I go to NY I never see it!

As you will be in NY then treat yourself to some NY pizza. Leave that other stuff to the left coasters. Broaden your horizons and if you have any sort of pallet you will be totally satisfied.

Try something like a nice thin pizza well done with garlic and sausage. Garlic with peppers and onions is nice as well but the sausage and garlic just happens to be my fave and I have been eating it for a little over 50 yrs.

In the end you will end up doing what you want but believe me when in NY do as they do.

When I visit the west coast I try their variations as I know they have no clue how to satisfy me with an attempt of something so foreign to what they are used to making..

They are both big cities so their offerings are endless it's just a matter of finding that special place. That is why I go with the local offerings.

Bon Apetit,

j

• 3 weeks later...

If someone recommends Sbarro's do they get banned from the forum? :)

Yes, John's is my favorite also. There are several locations but the original lacation is 44th St., right? All my local friends say it's the best. Single slice...cheese only...folded in half... makes me feel like a true NY'er.

If someone recommends Sbarro's do they get banned from the forum? :)
Most board users are rational :)
Yes, John's is my favorite also. There are several locations but the original lacation is 44th St., right? All my local friends say it's the best. Single slice...cheese only...folded in half... makes me feel like a true NY'er.
Bleeker St location is the original John's, but as the sign on their window attests, "NO SLICES", so not sure if this is the place you're referring to.

• 2 weeks later...

We just moved to NY from the west coast and we love Grimaldi's. It's a fun experience and I do recommend walking back across the Brooklyn Bridge. There is always a line, last time we waited about 25 minutes for the two of us. There's usually less of a wait for 3 or 4, strangely enough. We did not like Lombardi's at all, felt it was very bland and the sauce didn't have any flavor. We also didn't like the crust. My husband loves Saluggi's in SoHo and a newer and quite popular pizza joint is Keste, which we've been dying to try. John's has a good pie too.

• 2 months later...

I have tried every single top rated pizza spot in NYC and in my opinion Keste (have the Regina Margherita) is the best. Di Fara is tasty but it is way too far into Brooklyn. Grimaldi's used to be my favorite but this was about over 5 years ago. Since then the quality has decreased and become a tourist trap with huge lines.

Also get the nutella dessert pizza from Keste.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember John's from my days of living in NY in the early '70s (I'm dating myself); their Sicilian is excellent.

But what's become my go-to place is Bella Napoli at 150 W. 49th between 6th and 7th; my favorite mid-town pizza and also not a bad place for a pre-show dinner (their full menu is just that... FULL... and everything is delicious).

A few years ago, my wife attended a conference at a school downtown (south of Canal, west of Broadway) and there was a tiny pizza joint in the retail portion of an apartment/condo block; they had an eggplant pizza that was outrageous!!! Like the eggplant in eggplant parmigiana (breaded and fried) laid on top of great NY pizza. Sorry I don't remember the name.

I'd just avoid Ray's; everyone talks and raves about it, but it does nothing for me, when compared with all the other great places mentioned. I'd forgot about Lombardi's.... will have to try to get downtown and check it out again on my next trip.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good list.

But, Joe's on Bleecker is still the best SLICE in the city. Quick and easy.

Around the corner is Bleecker St Pizza, on 7th and Bleecker. Very solid option.

Uptown there's a few slice spots, like Pizza 33 on 31st and 3rd (there are others).

And right around 9th Ave and 53rd St a spot called Sacco Pizza has a great slice.

Artichoke is overrated. I used to live a block away. Good for a slice maybe once, but just not a slice like the rest.

I was in NYC last week and had wonderful pizza at Rubirosa. So if you happen to be in SoHo, this is a great choice. Thin crust, plentifully covered with wafer thin sliced sausage. Sauce was good and cheese was melty. Very delicious.

http://rubirosanyc.com/

My all time favorite 'za is Patsy's in East Harlem, but very few visitors want to make the trek out there. It's only a few blocks from the subway stop so it's not a bad hike at all. The other Patsy's in Manhattan are not the same. The one in East Harlem is the real deal. Established in 1933, very old school, and its rare, coal-fired oven makes a HUGE difference.

http://www.thepatsyspizza.com/

For everyone walking the Brooklyn Bridge (which I highly recommend, it's one of my favorite free things to do in NYC), don't wait in line at Grimaldi's. Just two doors down there's Juliana's. Go there - it's actually Grimaldi's!

What happened is, a few years ago, Grimaldi's owner Patsy Grimaldi, (Yes there is a family connection to Patsy's in East Harlem), sold the Grimaldi name to Frank Ciolli and retired. Ciolli re-opened Grimaldi's next door in a larger space. However, the city would not give him the right to operate a coal-fired oven and it was left at the old space. Enter Patsy Grimaldi again, who came out of retirement, and in the old Grimaldi's space, using the old school coal-fired oven, opened Juliana's, making the Grimaldi's pies of yore. I've eaten both - my strong preference - Juliana's.

http://www.julianaspizza.com/

Griamldi's v. Juliana's story:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2013/06/julianas_and_gr.php

I'd post a photo of Rubirosa's pizza, but can't figure it out. You need a URL?

• 2 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]