Priceline Hotel: 4* Los Angeles (Downtown) Omni

ajd6c8
By ajd6c8,
in

Hi all,

This is my first post since discovering this extremely helpful board. I was hoping to get some veteran advice on using Priceline (or Hotwire, don't care either way) with regards to hotel hunting in Los Angeles.

The nights I need a room are Fri & Sat, Oct. 17 & 18, 2008. My preferred location is Downtown, but would also consider Hollywood. Something within stumbling distance of night life ;) I would prefer something in the 3.5-4.5 star range, ideally spending between $75-100 each night.

I've seen a lot of posts about success stories, but some information is missing from most of them, such as when the bid was placed in relation to stay and whether or not you can choose a King bed, non-smoking, etc...

Any advice before I wing it on my own?

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I would prefer something in the 3.5-4.5 star range, ideally spending between $75-100 each night.
Are you willing to pay more for a higher rated hotel OR are you looking for the least expensive 3.5* or better hotel for this stay? (NOTE: 4* is the highest star rating in either of these zones, so there won't be any 4.5* or Resort bidding)

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've seen a lot of posts on here for Westin and Omni (Downtown) rates in that price range. I guess those are 3.5-4*? Something like that would be ideal as both hotels are way better than what I'm used to.

I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if Hollywood was a bit more expensive on the weekends. In that case, if I were going to stay in Hollywood, I'd probably be willing to downgrade the hotel in an effort to stay in that price range.

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure you've answered the question we need to know in order to suggest a strategy for you to follow:

What do you want to try for first... a 4* hotel in either zone up to your limit OR is your goal the least expensive 3.5* or better hotel for these dates?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My priority is finding the best hotel possible for approximately $75 per night, regardless of which area I stay.

I am flexible for about $20 in either direction if it means either:

1. a noticeable improvement in hotel, or

2. bigger savings for the same hotel

...but my priority is the aforementioned.

Thanks!

I'll try again... although i'm sure you know what it is you're looking for, i'm still unclear.

I understand you want the 'best' (which i'll interpret to mean highest rating) hotel so i understand you're first desire is for a 4* hotel, but let's assume you fail at $75 (which i think is likely)... do you then want to continue upwards to your originally stated $100 maximum bid OR would you want to stop at $75 and lower your star rating to the 3.5* level?

hmmmm. I guess that depends on what hotels are in the 3.5* class. I'm quite unfamiliar with how hotels are rated. My instinct tells me that a 3.5* is perfectly suitable, so I'm tempted to say that that I'd rather stay @ $75 and go to 3.5*

i see your list on another post, I've deleted a few hotels from the relevant areas. I'd be perfectly happy staying at any of the below:

Los Angeles (Downtown)

4* Hilton Checkers tripadvisor review

4* Omni Hotel tripadvisor

4* Park Hyatt (wrong zone??... same hotel as current Inter-Continental??)

3.5* Westin Bonaventure REVIEW / tripadvisor review

4* Wilshire Grand--

3.5* Millenium Biltmore (previously 4*) REVIEW / tripadvisor review

3.5* Sheraton Hyatt Regency REVIEW / tripadvisor review

Los Angeles (Hollywood)

4* Renaissance (previously 3*)

4* Roosevelt Hotel REVIEW

So I guess if I was going to stay Downtown and my initial bid failed, I'd go for one of the 3.5's listed above. I assume by your last post that it is unlikely I'll get any of the 4* hotels at $75, so if I was wanting to stay in HW, I'd have to increase my bid.

I guess the three questions I have are:

1. What is the best timing for bidding, assuming that I'm not stressed at all about waiting?

2. What is the lowest winning bid I can expect for one of the 3.5's Downtown on a Fri/Sat?

3. What is the lowest winning bid I can expect for one of the 4's in HW on a Fri/Sat?

Thanks!

$75 almost certainly won't be enough for a 4* in Hollywood. $125-150 would be more realistic.

$75 probably isn't enough for a 4* Downtown and it may not be enough for a 3.5*. My suggestion is to bid for a 3.5* Downtown. If a 4* hotel has a lower Priceline rate your 3.5* bid will be upgraded.

When bidding for a 3.5* in LA you have two free rebid zones. If you need help identifying your free rebids zones please ask.

I suggest bidding $65 for a 3.5* Downtown. Then add your two free rebids at $70 and $75.

Please start your bids with this PRICELINE link.

With you $75 limit you could also try for a 3* or 2.5* in Hollywood zone.

I've deleted a few hotels from the relevant areas. I'd be perfectly happy staying at any of the below:
When using PRICELINE you can't target or avoid any hotels in the zone. You have to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star level (or higher) that you selected. You can't "pick and choose" which hotels you're willing to accept.

If you're looking to target, or avoid, a specific hotel, HOTWIRE may be a better option since you're often able to take an educated gueass as to the hotel being offered before your purchase based upon the amenities shown (or at least exlude certain hotels from th possibility.. for example if the hotel you're trying to avoid doesn't have a pool and the hotel HOTWIRE offers shows a pool icon)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

"I suggest bidding $65 for a 3.5* Downtown. Then add your two free rebids at $70 and $75."

Don't I have to change zones to rebid? Or does "free" rebid imply that I can just increase the price a bit? I ask because most zones in LA have 3.5-4* hotels.

"$75 almost certainly won't be enough for a 4* in Hollywood. $125-150 would be more realistic."

Agreed, but what pricing stages would you give for a 4* downtown? Remember this is a weekend and downtown LA is basically dead on weekends (especially since USC football is away that week).

Thanks!

ajd6c8,

Before bidding i would look at my previous post to make sure you're comfortable with the bidding parameters... are you comfortable with any hotel in the zone you select at the minimum star rating you choose? I didn't look to see which hotels you removed from the list, but you could receive any hotel in the zone... not just the ones you want.

Don't I have to change zones to rebid? Or does "free" rebid imply that I can just increase the price a bit?
Any strategy suggested will involve re-bidding, which you can read about here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained.

Don't I have to change zones to rebid? Or does "free" rebid imply that I can just increase the price a bit? I ask because most zones in LA have 3.5-4* hotels.
There are two LA zones that don't have any 3.5* or 4* hotels. Those are your two free rebids for 3.5*. You can add those two zones to your 3.5* bids Downtown without fear of winning a hotel in those zones because Priceline won't give you a lower rated hotel than you bid for.

Check the LA zones, one zone at a time, to see which two don't have 3.5* or 4*. To make sure you understand you can post the names of the two free rebid zones here before you attempt any more bidding.

Agreed, but what pricing stages would you give for a 4* downtown? Remember this is a weekend and downtown LA is basically dead on weekends (especially since USC football is away that week).
The Westin comes up most often Downtown but the Westin was just downgraded to 3.5*. We haven't seen any 4* wins Downtown since the new ratings went into effect, so there's no history to rely on. You can certainly try to $75 for a 4* Downtown before trying for a 3.5* if you like.

Based on all your suggestions, I think I'm going to try the following:

1. $75 for 4* downtown, if fail...

2. $85 for 4* downtown, if fail...

3. $65 for 3.5* downtown.

The only 3.5* I don't want is the Marriot because I've been there before and think it's nothing special (but I wouldn't be totally devastated if I got it for $65). Otherwise, I'm fine with any Downtown 3.5* or 4* hotel.

Given that strategy, would I need to change my zones during those rebids? LA Zones w/o 3.5* or 4* hotels are listed below (from your forum list):

Los Angeles (Culver City)

3* Radisson Westside

2* Extended StayAmerica LAX-- (yes, in this zone) REVIEW

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley (Simi Valley)

3* Grand Vista

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley (Studio City)

3* Radisson Valley Center now a Courtyard, unknown if Priceline participant

2.5* Sportsman Lodge

Los Angeles - San Gabriel Valley (Monrovia - Duarte)

3*(??) Four Points Sheraton (3* bidding not currently offered in this zone anymore)

3* Residence Inn Arcadia

Thanks!

As per the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List:

DO NOT USE THIS LIST to determine what areas to add when attempting to bid again within the 72 24 hour window....

The hotel lists are only hotels which have been reported to the board, within each zone there could be others not yet reported (as well, new hotels are added/removed/upgraded/downgraded all the time). As well, the "Los Angeles" region and "Los Angeles-San Fernando Valley" region are two different ereas entirely, so you wouldn't be able to bid any of the zones under each of them at the same time.

The correct way to determine your re-bid zones is in this link: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

Please read thru it (at least the first post) and if you're confused or not sure how to proceed just post back and we'll break it down for you step by step. To give you an idea of you're on the right track, at the 4* level you should find FOUR re-bid zones available to use.

Since you have four re-bid zones available, you should be able to bid better than you outlined above, since you can increase your bids in smaller increments than $10 (and therefore the chances of an overbid are much lower). Also, you should be able to go all the way up to your $100 maximum for a Downtown hotel in the same bidding cycle, if you choose to bid up to your maximum.

Let us know how you make out with the re-bid zones or if we need to break it down further.

Hi again.

So I used your link and participated in the bid process. I have thus far been unsuccessful even though I feel I've done everything right and even bid significantly higher than other people that have posted success stories on this forum. My strategy follows:

Fri 10/17-Sun 10/19, 1 room

Acceptable Zones = Hollywood or Downtown

ATTEMPT #1

4 stars

Bid 1: Downtown+Hollywood @ $85

Bid 2: added Culver City @ $90

Bid 3: added Lawndale @ $95

Bid 4: added Santa Monica @ $100

Bid 5: added Redondo @ $110

REJECTED

ATTEMPT #2

3.5 stars

Bid 1: Hollywood @ $75

Bid 2: added Downtown @ $75

Bid 3: added Lawndale @ $85

Bid 4: added Culver City @ $90

REJECTED

This is irritating. How on earth did all these people get 3.5* Downtown for $60-$75???

The website says I have a 24 hour wait period (unless I go down to 3 stars, which I don't want). So I guess I will try something tomorrow?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Rates are date specific.

I scanned the board to find the first Los Angeles Downtown win which is still for a date in the future and found this Priceline Marriott Los Angeles Downtown thread (3* there but now rated 3.5*) which was won for $64. If you use our BetterChecker you'll see that the rates directly on the Marriott website for this users dates (10/24-10/26) are $169/nite... then repeat your search for your own dates and you'll see this property listed for $289/nite.

This is just one example and you can to find others, but based upon the above, demand is higher for your dates, and there rates are too... for both opaque and non-opaque purchases.

What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel for these dates (again, use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search)

You said you wanted to be near clubs and nightlife. Could a 3* in Beverly Hills-West Hollywood work for you?

There's no guarantee the Hyatt on Sunset is the 3* you'd win but if you do you'll find plenty of clubs within walking distance. If you win some other 3* in the zone, like the Residence Inn, it's a short cabride to Sunset.

If I were to book normally through Priceline, I can get the Omni Downtown (4*) for $179 (fee chop) or the Westin Downtown (3.5*) for $199. However, most hotels are quite a bit more expensive for those dates.

What is fee chop?

Anyway, if the Omni is $179, how come $110 didn't go through?

Thanks!

PS. Not really interested in the Westside - even if I stayed in HW, I'd spend my time closer to Downtown than I would be to the Westside.

if the Omni is $179, how come $110 didn't go through?

It's not everyday you can buy something priced at $179 for only $110...

It's still $70 less than their prevailing rate, and maybe the Omni isn't willing to discount the rooms too deeply for these dates as they feel they may be able to selll all the rooms themselves at $179/nite... or they may not offering PRICELINE any inventory for these dates. (as i'm sure they're well aware of the higher than usual demand for these dates)

Fee chop is marketing by PRICELINE to announce that they have lowered their booking fees on this property.

I've never used Hotwire, how do you know that (HOTWIRE has a 4* Downtown for $129 and a 3.5* Downtown for $129) without participating in the bid process?

I'll probably try again tomorrow and see what happens.

"It's not everyday you can buy something priced at $179 for only $110..."

True, but William Shattner keeps telling me that I can "save up to 50% if I name my own price." That would be $90. $110 is only 38.5% off, which I don't think is too much to ask considering I'm blind-bidding on a website. William Shattner is a liar!

I've never used Hotwire, how do you know that (HOTWIRE has a 4* Downtown for $129 and a 3.5* Downtown for $129) without participating in the bid process?

I'll probably try again tomorrow and see what happens.

"It's not everyday you can buy something priced at $179 for only $110..."

True, but William Shattner keeps telling me that I can "save up to 50% if I name my own price." That would be $90. $110 is only 38.5% off, which I don't think is too much to ask considering I'm blind-bidding on a website. William Shattner is a liar!

Bill Shatner doesn't lie....38.5% is considered within the claim "up to 50%" I have won bids that were 70% off as well, it all depends on supply and demand.

You don't bid on HOTWIRE. Hotwire displays their hotel options and prices at the start, but as with PRICELINE you don't see the name of the hotel you bought until after you've purchased. Go to HOTWIRE's homepage and input "Los Angeles" and your travel dates and you'll see. You don't need to register just to view offerings.

Priceline usually beats Hotwire on price in the same zone. Checking Hotwire is useful because Hotwire rates, dsiplayed in advance, are a rough barometer of what bids might be accepted on Priceline. When Hotwire rates are higher than average Priceline rates usually will be too.

Other than the Marriott prices aren't that high for your dates so I'm surprised $110 hasn't been accepted. I'd wait til Monday afternoon and try bidding on PRICELINE again, starting around $75 for 4* and 3.5*.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]