Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USW-Nob Hill) InterContinental Mark Hopkins

LizC
By LizC,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding, LizC.

What is your bidding limit for this trip? We give a full strategy that starts low and takes you to your bidding limit, rather than just suggesting a point to start bidding.

Boutiques often cost less than 4*. Would you rather pay less for a Boutique or bid up to your limit for a 4* first and then try for Boutique if you don't succeed?

There seems to be a glitch to Boutique bidding on Priceline today. Priceline is only offering the Boutique option in the Embarcadero zone right now. Boutique is grayed out in USE and USW, which are the zones with the most Boutique hotels. I just checked the Priceline zone maps to see if they changed the boundaries again, pushing all the Boutiques into the Embarcadero zone. That's not the case; the zones look the same as they did a few days ago.

So there's some kind of glitch that prevents Boutique bidding in USE now.

But since you prefer Embarcadero zone to USE anyhow we could try for a Boutique there, and if that doesn't work move onto USE after Priceline fixes the problem.

Keep in mind there's only one known Boutique in Embarcadero zone, the Harbor Court, so if you win anything that will probably be it. Harbor Court is $229 for your dates.

As a statrting point I suggest that you bid $70 for a Boutique in Embarcadero. Then add Civic Center, Marina, and South SF, going up $10 per zone, up to $100. When bidding Boutique those zones are free rebids (there are a few more free rebid zones too) and you won't win a hotel in those zones when you add them. If that doesn't work get back to us.

Please start your bids with this PRICELINE link.

So there's some kind of glitch that prevents Boutique bidding in USE now.
Or perhaps some hotels were re-rated with the new geographic classifications.

Take a look at the most recent changes i've just made to the Priceline Hotel List adn let us know if you're still interested in the Boutique star category. (will hopefully update tomorrow as per the new zones in the San Francisco area)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Or perhaps some hotels were re-rated with the new geographic classifications.

Of the nine reported Boutiuqe hotels, eight were in USW or USE (the newly defined USE, that is). Only one Boutique, the Harbor Court, is in Embarcadero, and that's the only zone where Boutique isn't grayed out now.

It seems very odd to me that Priceline would downgrade 8 of 9 Boutiques to 3* at the same time and leave just one Boutique as it was. I could understand if they downgraded all nine to 3* and eliminated the Boutique category altogether.

==================

LizC,

While this Boutique situation sorts itself out, I think your $120 limit may be enough for a 4* in Embarcadero or USE, but probably not in Fisherman's Wharf. Would you like to try for a 4*?

Priceline has eliminated Boutique bidding. The Harbor Court, which was the last hotel left rated Boutique in SF, is rated 3* today in Priceline's retail product. Instead of Boutique Priceline now offers a new 3.5* bidding class. As far as I can see none of the former Boutiques has been rerated to 3.5*. They've all been downgraded to 3* or 2*.

Priceline now offers 3.5* in multiple SF zones: USE, USW-Nob Hill, SOMA-Moscone, Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf, SFO, and San Mateo.

These changes are also being discussed in the "New Zone Boundaries" thread. I'll mention them here too, for the sake of completing the discussion in progress.

Thank you for this info. I went to bid today and saw that the Boutique hotels were not available then I had to get back to work. I am getting ready to bid now. Do you have any suggestions on bidding for a 4* or 3.5*. We are open to Fishermans or USE.

I was thinking of the following:

4* Fishermans $70 (should I also include USE? should I try for *3.5?)

Free bid: add CC +10

FB: add Marina +10

FB: add SSF +10

thanks

Given the star rating change can you confirm your preferences...

Which zone(s) are you willing to accept? Your maximum bid? Are you willing to bid higher for a 4* vs. a 3.5* or are you looking for the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay?

Let us know the above and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

One last question before strategy, LizC. Do you want to bid to your $120 limit one zone at a time, in your order of preference, or do you want the least expensive 3.5* or 4* available in ANY of your four acceptable zones?

Or to put it differently, if a 3.5* in FW costs $120 but you could get a 3.5* in USW for $80, which of those two would you prefer?

You'll probably achieve the lowest price by bidding for a 3.5*. If a 4* hotel has a lower Priceline rate you'll be upgraded.

When bidding for a 3.5* in SF you have three free rebid zones. Those are zones that ONLY have hotels of lower than 3.5* quality. If you need help in determining your three free rebids please ask before you bid.

I suggest you select all four zones---FW, USE, USW, Embarcadero---and bid $60 for a 3.5*.

Add rebid A at $70.

Close your browser and start a new bid for your 4 acceptable zones plus rebid B, at $80.

Add rebid A at $90.

Close your browser and start a new bid for your 4 acceptable zones plus rebid C, at $100.

Add rebid A at $110.

Add rebid B at $120.

Please start your initial bid from this PRICELINE link, and each time you close you browser to start a new bid return to that link again. Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

If you have the time to bid i would actually revise the above slightly...

At the 3.5* level you have THREE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 3.5* Fishermans and USE...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Embarcadero and USW...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Select 3.5* Fishermans and Embarcadero...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* USE and USW...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Fishermans and USE and Embarcadero and USW...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Fishermans and USE and Embarcadero and USW and re-bid zone2...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Fishermans and USE and Embarcadero and USW and re-bid zone3...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Fishermans and USE and Embarcadero and USW and re-bid zone2 and re-bid zone3...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $120

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

LizC,

You need to wait 24 hours from your last rejected bid before you can bid the same parameters on the same account again.

If strategy #1 didn't work then strategy #2 won't work either, unless Priceline gets new inventory under $120 in between your two bidding sessions. Both strategies bring you to the same $120 limit.

Since Fisherman's Wharf is your first choice are you interested in trying for a 3* hotel in Fisherman's Wharf? HOTWIRE has a 3.5* in FW for $242 and a 3* for $169. It's possible that your $120 limit will be enough for a Priceline 3* in FW then.

I can wait 24hrs and try strategy #2 that you gave me if that seems to have the best chance.

As Colfax points out above you won't have have success with one strategy and not the other since both go up to the same bidding limit... the second strategy simply goes up in smaller increments which can help save you a few more dollars.

Hi,

I tried the suggestion and got to $120 without any luck. I am getting a little desperate we leave for vacation on Friday morning. I am ready to put my limit to $150 if needed to get a 3.5* and take any Fishermans and USE and Embarcadero and USW and go to a 3* if needed. Can I bid for a 3* within 24hrs of the last bid? any suggestions with running out of time.. should I try Hotwire?

thanks,

Liz

If you lower your star rating you can bid again immediately... if you want to try for a 3.5* up to $150 first and then try lowering your bid you'll need to wait 24 hours from the time of your last rejected bid.

I assume no back-up reservation?

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

I would like to try for a 3* with a max of $120. After looking at the 3* on priceline I think my order of preference would be USE or USW as first and Fishermans or Embarcadero. I can do this later today. If no luck with that I could try again tomorrow am for a 3.5* up to $150. No back up reservations yet...

Thanks again.

3* with a max of $120. After looking at the 3* on priceline I think my order of preference would be USE or USW as first and Fishermans or Embarcadero.
Did you want to bid up to your maximum for the USE or USW zones before trying for the FW and Embarcadero zones... or are you really looking for the least expensive 3* or better hotel in any of these zones at a $120 bid or less?

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

At the 3* level you have one re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* USE...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 3* USW...

Select 3* Embarcadero...

Select 3* FW...

Select 3* USE and USW...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline

Select 3* Emebarcadero and FW...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline

Select 3* USE and Embarcadero...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline

Select 3* USW and FW...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline

Select 3* USW and Embarcadero...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline

Select 3* USE and FW...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline

Select 3* USE and USW and Embarcadero...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline

Select 3* USE and USW and FW...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline

Select 3* USE and USW and Embarcadero and FW...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]