Hotwire Hotel: 4* San Diego (SeaWorld-Mission Bay-Shelter Island) Hilton Mission Bay

wallybrau
By wallybrau,
in

San Diego Del Mar Bidding strategy.

Looking for 2 nights 7/25 - 7/26 in a 3* San Diego Del Mar area hotel

There are three 3* hotels listed :

3* Doubletree ( room price $279 per night via www.doubletree.com)

3* Hilton Del Mar ( unavailable per www.hilton.com)

3* Marriott ( room price $259 per night via www.marriot.com)

Based on surrounding zones only having a maximum of 2* or 2.5* hotels I will have 5 bids by successively adding one of the new low star max zones.

Del Mar 3* max

East County 2* max

National City 2* max

San Ysidro 2* max

Sorrento Mesa 2.5* max

I'd prefer to spend no more than $100 per night, so the real question is :

Where should I start my bid price?

Since my trip is 3 months away I have plenty of time, so I don't need to get a room right away, I was thinking of starting at $60 and then adding $5 per zone up to $80 for my first attempt.

Does this sound good?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

With your four re-bid zones you can actually bid more than 5 times per bidding cycle, and i would bid as follows:

Select 3* Del Mar...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $55, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Del Mar and re-bid zone3...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Del Mar and re-bid zone4...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Del Mar and re-bid zone3 and re-bid zone4...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $100

This will take you up to your maximum bid all within one bidding cycle :) Don't forget to always doublecheck your re-bid zones before each bidding cycle.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Started bidding for 2 nights 7/25 - 7/27 in a 3* San Diego Del Mar area hotel

Didn't follow your strategy for extending beyond 5 bids today, but will try that approach tomorrow... I've seen some wins in this area in the $50-$60 range but not during my exact dates..

On 6/17, using PRICELINE link

Bid 3*

$50, Del Mar 3* max, rejected

$52 Added East County 2* max, rejected

$54 Added National City 2* max, rejected

$56 Added San Ysidro 2* max, rejected

$58 Added Sorrento Mesa 2.5* max, rejected

Yes I have, actually I am one of the winning bidders for the 7/29 date. We're spending a couple of days in Del Mar area visiting family, then up to Disneyland for a couple of days and then one more day back at Marriott La Jolla for 1 night before going home.. I am thinking about altering bid stragegy to include the Coastal area... and maybe getting the La Jolla Marriot again... not sure if weekend vs weekday rates will come into play...

I did check and 2 out of the 3 three* hotels in Del Mar show No availability.. so I'm guessing it's not looking too good for a PRICELINE win at very low prices...

Trying again, No Luck yet, Started bidding for 2 nights 7/25 - 7/27 in a 3* San Diego Del Mar area hotel

On 6/26, using PRICELINE link

Bid 3*

$60, Del Mar 3* max, rejected

$65 Added East County 2* max, rejected

$70 Added National City 2* max, rejected

$75 Added San Ysidro 2* max, rejected

Determined San Diego Coastal area would be acceptable, so started the following bid

Bid 3*

$60, San Diego Coastal 4* max, rejected

$65, Del Mar 3* max, rejected

$70 Added East County 2* max, rejected

$75 Added National City 2* max, rejected

$80 Added San Ysidro 2* max, rejected

Yep, $80 is about as high as I'd like to go, with fee's and potential parking, keeping it around $100 per night is what I'd prefer. I may have to explore lowering my star level... I did see there is a comic convention in San Diego that start of Friday 7/25 so that may be part of the problem. I do have backup plan ( staying with family for free) but we'd prefer a hotel in the area if we can get it cheap enough... We're in the area for 5 nights and already have 3 of the nights covered it's just the Fri & Sat that we need...

We're in the area for 5 nights and already have 3 of the nights covered...

I see your Marriott La Jolla win, but if you used PRICELINE or HOTWIRE for the other two nites please share your win with the board.

Thanks.

Hopefully you'll see availability open up in the weeks to come.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Comic Con is July 23-27. It's one of the busiest hotel weekends of the year in San Diego. Don't expect PRICELINE bargains. I think $80 is too low for a 3* in your preferred zones and it might be too low for a 2.5*. If $80 is your true limit then maybe try for 3* and 2.5* in Mission Valley.

Checking the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins there's only been one reported score in ANY San Diego zone that weekend---the 3* Holiday Inn on the Bay in Downtown zone at $110.

Some more rejects:

On 6/27, using PRICELINE E link

Bid 2.5* Del Mar ( perhaps Courtyard? if lucky)

$60, Del Mar 3* max, rejected

$65 Added East County 2* max, rejected

$70 Added National City 2* max, rejected

$75 Added San Ysidro 2* max, rejected

Tried for 4* North County Coastal (perhaps Sheraton Carlsbad? if lucky)

$65, North County Coastal 4* max, rejected

$70, Del Mar 3* max, rejected

$75 Added East County 2* max, rejected

$80 Added National City 2* max, rejected

$85 Added San Ysidro 2* max, rejected

Three of four Priceline hotels in Del Mar are showing sold out, including the Courtyard. Only the Doubletree has rooms, starting at $285. I don't think $75 is a realistic limit for these dates now. Maybe there will be cancellations closer to your dates and rates will come down. Good that you've got a relative you can stay with for free.

• 4 weeks later...

Well our trip is just two days away.. I haven't attempted to bid on anything lately but I plan one final attempt tomorrow. I have seen no winning bids during our time frame from other users. After looking at Hotwire & Kayak and others the rates are really through the roof everywhere in the San Diego area. Damn Comic Con convention. Anyway, I think I can bump my bids up to ~$130 so that w/ Fees and such the 2 day total would be around $300. Should I just use the existing strategies. I would be okay with winning a hotel in North County, Del Mar, Mission Valley and perhaps Sorrento Mesa. I know I have alot of permutations with this...

Before giving it your last shot i think you should figure out your back-up plan.

If you're unsuccessful with PRICELINE up to $130, where will you stay and how much will it cost? (if much more than $130 you may want to reconsider your maximum bid)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Not looking too promising.. all bids failed , I did use the PRICELINE link and used several free re-bids per attempt

For 7/25-7/27 (2 nights)

$90-$130 $10 increments 4* North County Coastal

$90-$130 $10 increments 3* Del Mar

$90-$130 $10 increments 3* Coastal

$90-$120 $10 increments 2.5* Sorrento Mesa

$90-$130 $10 increments 3* Mission Valley

$90-$120 $10 increments 2.5* Mission Valley

For 7/25-7/26 (1 night)

$100-$130 $15 increments 4* North County Coastal

$100-$130 $15 increments 3* Del Mar

$100-$130 $15 increments 3* Coastal

$100-$120 $15 increments 2.5* Sorrento Mesa

$100-$130 $15 increments 3* Mission Valley

$100-$120 $15 increments 2.5* Mission Valley

I'll try again tomorrow

ID help? I think it's

4* Hilton Mission Bay

Amenities: Beachfront, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Golf, Tennis

Details for your 4-star hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

Hotel Details

Hotel Amenities

Beachfront Property is located on the beach.

Fitness Center Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Pool(s) Property offers at least one pool area; hours and dates of operation may be seasonal.

Restaurant(s) Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

Laundry Facilities<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

High-speed Internet AccessGuestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Golf NearbyProperty is located within walking distance or a short drive of at least one golf course; an extra charge typically applies.

Tennis Nearby Property is located within walking distance or a short drive of at least one tennis court; an extra charge typically applies.

Confirmed it was the 4* Hilton Mission Bay for $189 plus fees for 7/25 - 7/26

I tried for weeks to priceline a hotel for 7/25-7/27 and nothing was coming up due to the huge Comic Convention. When the Super 8's and Motel 6's are showing rates in excess of $250 a night I knew I was in trouble. Using the HOTWIRE link I ended up compromising and spending a bit more than I'd like for a single night, but we're staying with family for free on 7/26 so it all balances out, way better than spending 2 nites w/ relatives : ) Plus this hotel looks really nice, right on the beach!

Thanks

Since I was bidding until after midnight last night ( and wasted way too much time) I ultimately decided for a compromise. Stay with Family on Saturday 7/26 - AND- using the HOTWIRE link, I was able to reserve 4* Hilton Mission Bay for $189 plus fees for 7/25. So after fees and $20 parking it'll cost ~$240 or so BUT using the "hotwire" forum I pretty much knew what hotel I'd be getting and it looks to be really nice and right on the beach so my wife and daughter are really excited. Due to the extremely high rates everywhere because of Comic Con I'm pretty happy. Thanks for all the assistance.

Congratulations on your win!

Glad to hear that, given the circumstances, you're happy with the results. Unfortunately it just happens to be an extremely busy weekend for the area.

When the relatives start to get to you, justclose your eyes and think of the nice, tranquil, and peaceful nite you had the day before :)

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and for using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]