NY NYC Grand Hyatt MTE

mcnrem4
By mcnrem4,
in

I frequent NYC often as I enjoy the theater. I have visited many hotels, both three and four star. The Grand Hyatt was beautiful, clean and the room was large. The hotel is modern and is kept up--which is more than I can say for most. It is centrally located by Grand Central. For $75, this was a bargain. I would have been happy paying $100. I would definitely go back. :)

• 5 months later...

I stayed there this past Saturday (August 23) for one night. Contrary to some critical reviews I've read on the hotel, I thought it was a very nice place. It's a great location -- next to Grand Central -- and a few blocks from Time Square and Fifth Avenue. The rooms were large and modern. The bathrooms were a bit small, but not unusual for New York. The bonus for us is that tennis players were staying there for the U.S. Open, so it was a good chance to do some stargazing. I recommend this.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Forgot to mention 2 other things of note-

Yes, there is a hairdryer, it is located on the bathroom wall.

Also, although there is an entrance that goes right into Grand Central Station, it was closed. It would have been very convenient had it been open because we took the train from and to our home and had a good amount of luggage. Still, a very easy commute and nice stay all in all.

I am putting together a listing/review of some of the places we visited and will post them in the tips section of the NYC board.

• 1 month later...

Me and my wife stayed at the Grand Hyatt from Sept 28th til Oct 1st, for 3 nights. This hotel was great!

The lobby is large and impressive, and the rooms were large and clean. We got a queen bed and a view of the Chrysler building and Lexington Ave. The room had a walk in closet... awesome! The TV was nice, and the channels were plentiful. The bathroom was small but nice and clean and new.

The location is great, right next to Grand Central Station. We took the subways and buses everywhere.

This was a great hotel and we look forward to going there again.. we loved it.

Staff was great as well. Did not eat there or anything, though.

• 5 months later...

Just came back from 3 nights at the Grand Hyatt New York, Feb 28-Mar 1. I got the hotel for $130 on Hotwire. Checked in over the phone before I left home. The room was very spacious, 2 comfortable queen beds, large bathroom, great TV and very quiet. Access to Grand Central Subway under the hotel so we didn't have to go outside during a blizzard. Signed up as a gold member on the Hyatt website and got complimentary coffee and newspaper. Overall no complaints about the hotel, except that it's full of business travellers, and although the location was fantastic for sight seeing, next time I might stay in Soho or an area that had a bit more character. But that's being really picky.

• 2 years later...

Unless something goes drastically wrong in the 12 hours until I check out, I have to say this stay has been fantastic.

The hotel is very nice, absolutely not the slightest suggestion we were treated any different because we were 'Priceline' guests.

Lovely king bed room on 21st floor. All staff were courteous and each day a few dollars left in the bathroom with a note saw a healthy supply of extra towels and a perfectly clean room upon our return each day.

A couple of pics of the room can be seen here:

Room view 1

Room view 2

All in all a great first time Priceline experience in the first leg of a 5 week holiday from Australia. 5 more hotels booked thru Priceline in the next few weeks, if they are all as good as this one I'll be a very happy camper.

• 3 months later...

I hate to say this, but I had a few problems with my stay.

I got this hotel for $144/night on April 28 after finding out my flight to Buffalo was canceled due to weather, and that I would have to pay for my own hotel..

Anyway, check in was fine, the lady at the front desk was friendly, and gave me a corner room on the 30th floor, which was very large.

Note that this hotel is friendly with 18-20 year old travellers...there are a few places that aren't, but I guess I was lucky getting this place. I wasn't even asked for ID when I checked in!

BUT...

The room hadn't been cleaned properly; there was hair and also some cookie crumbs on the bathroom floor, and also there was a Haagen-Dazs lid on the floor next to the bed.

I was offered another room down the hall, which was a LOT smaller and had a much smaller bathroom, and no bathtub. I asked for the old room back, and they sent a cleaner to the first room to take care of the dirty bathroom. As well, there was no plug for the bathtub; I had to stuff the drain with washcloths.

I was given free breakfast as a result, and a lovely cheese plate was sent to my room.

The buffet breakfast was good;

Again, it was a bargain at $144/night, but I just thought housekeeping was very spotty.

• 7 months later...

Just completed my stay a few days ago and can say that I was pleasantly surprised. I used the kiosk to self check in and was given a single bed on the 15th floor. Room was clean and didn't look old as some of the reviews i found online stated. The room even had a plasma tv. The bathroom was small, but not that small. Lobby was large and actually impressive. Very good location as well (42 and park). Well worth the money spent.

• 1 month later...

Just came back from a weekend stay at the Hyatt (posted bid $105 for 2/29-3/2) and was very pleased with the hotel.Always wanted to stay here because of the easy access from MetroNorth. The hotel can be accessed within the terminal via the Lexington Ave Passageway. There is a glass door on the right (near a bank) with the Hyatt sign. This was great since the weekend was stormy and very cold.

map link: http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/mallDirectory.pdf

Great service:Checked in at 11:30 am arrival, requested 2 beds and a view- given a dbl bed room on the 30th fl with a view of the Chrysler Building.

Restaurant tip: Great brunch near the Hyatt at Cibo on 2nd/43rd (Daily News Building). They offer a 2 course (many choices)brunch on Sat. or Sunday which includes a drink (mimosa, bloody mary), baked goods basket, coffee/tea for $18.95. see www.cibonyc.com for details.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Stayed here June 17 through June 19th for $150 for Thursday/Friday and $130 for Saturday. It was a busy time in New York (the hotel was almost sold out) so I was a bit surprised I got it for this price. On arrival I was upgraded to a deluxe king with no mention of priceline at all and given lots of coupons for free water bottles or coffee (very nice coffee, I would even pay for it!) in their lobby "7/11 style" store. The room was very nice. The bathroom was ok - large but divided into a very large sink area and small toilet/tub area - so small I was banging the door with my knee. This could use some renovation but was acceptable. The whole floor was undergoing a very extensive cleaning while I was there - beds/drapes out etc. with machines to clear the air of any odours. Some serious cleaning going on! There is no refrigerator in the room (open or pay) but a nice swivel flat screen tv. I was able to look at several rooms on the floor due to the cleaing that was going on - they were all similar but some had more "empty" space which I guess made them deluxe. The location for me was great. The bus from Newark airport is a half block way. Grand Central is next door with shuttle access to Times Square and subway and train access to almost anywhere - get the unlimited card for daily travel everywhere. The Oyster Bar in Grand Central is convenient for cafeteria style great fish and oysters. Try their boulliabase sandwich with bread on the side to get a great fish soup for under $7 (lunch only?) with a similar amount of fish to their $30 offerings (a great deal in New York!). The lobby is very nice. I would defintiely stay there again for what I paid vs. the $419/night rack rate for their non-deluxe room. On Saturday there was a street market on Lexington next door which was interesting and Esa-a-Bagle was within walking distance!

• 11 months later...

I've stayed here over the years... Just wanted to add that we stayed here in May, in one of the newly renovated rooms. WOW! REALLY NICE! Modern decor and very spacious. More of a Hudson Schrager/ W style /NY modern decor. I stay at many hotels, especially in MTW/MTE area but due to this renovation, Grand Hyatt, is definitely my new favourite. Rooms now have small foyer, bathroom off to side (still small, but nicely decorated), walkin closet, small seating area with chic loveseat, lamp and coffee table. All electronics are digital, even the light switches, which took me a minute to figure out, so I shudder for a middle aged/senior citizen. Since you can not manually adjust the lighting/lamps to your preference it's hard to personalize - also the lighting in general is more of the darker mood setting style. Works well with the room, but may not be to everyone's taste. Upon checkout I had to ask if my room had been upgraded and was informed that our room was the regular king - very impressed!

(I took some pics and will post if I can figure out how to)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]