Hotwire Hotel: 4* San Diego (Sea World-Mission Bay-Shelter Island) Hyatt Mission Bay

Fiffer
By Fiffer,
in

Hi all. New to this board...so glad I found it!

I need a room in San Diego for my family from April 10-13. I have been checking A LOT of sites trying to get this figured out. I'm sure I want to be in the area which PL calls "Coastal" and HW calls "Sea World - Mission Bay - Shelter Island." Where I would really like to stay is Hyatt Regency Mission Bay which I'm assuming is the same hotel as Hyatt Islandia, just renamed...am I correct?

I see that I could bid 4* on PL and have a good chance of winning that. However, I definitely DO NOT want Hyatt Regency La Jolla which seems like many 4* bidders get. It seems more like a hotel for the business traveler rather than for families.

So I checked Hotwire and see the following hotels offered for my dates...

4*, Resort, Near Beach, Oceanfront, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurants, Business Center, High Speed Internet -- $124/night

3.5* Resort, Beachfront, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurants, High Speed Internet, Golf Nearby, Tennis Nearby -- $194/night

So I'd love some help identifying which hotels these two are, as well as what you think my chances are of getting Hyatt Regency Mission Bay if I bid on PL.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Fiffer

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I definitely DO NOT want Hyatt Regency La Jolla which seems like many 4* bidders get.
Then i wouldn't bid on PRICELINE.

If you re-run your search at HOTWIRE, and click the "CONTINUE" button or the "View Hotel Details" link for each of the properties above, do you then see more amenities than the ones you've included above?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your reply. I am hoping to bid today. I now see that things have changed slightly so I can only get the $124 rate if I take the room for April 10-12. When I add Sunday the rate goes up to $209! So I am hoping this is the Hyatt Mission Bay. Please let me know if you think it is. The amenities listed are as follows...

4*, Resort, Near Beach, Oceanfront, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurants, Business Center, High Speed Internet -- $124/night

When I clicked Continue as you suggested, it adds the following...Golf Nearby and Spa

Please let me know what hotel you think this might be. Also do you have any idea what a reasonable bid might be if I go through Priceline for a 4* San Diego Coastal for these dates (April 10 - 13)?

Thank you!

Fiffer

The amenities above match what has beeen seen to be associated with the Hyatt Mission Bay, so that would be our best guess... please use our HOTWIRE link if you go that route.

If you decide to go with PRICELINE, let us know your maximum bid and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow. However, i'll point out that:

-the Coastal zone is BIG so you need to be comfortable ending up anywhere within the zone

-you mention 'your family' and i assume that means you'll be more than double occupancy (or would you be bidding for more than one room)... how many of you will there be? PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the descretion of the hotel, and they would be within their obligation if they only gave you a room with one bed. When you searched HOTWIRE above, were you including everyone in your family on the search?

-if you received the Hyatt La Jolla, how much would you need to save over the HOTWIRE rate above to have made it worthwhile

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks again for your help. Here's what I did.

First I followed your advice about how much it would be worth to save to go with an unknown 4* on Priceline. I knew I could get a 4* that I hoped was Hyatt Mission Bay for $124 per night for Thursday & Friday nights. I linked through this site to put in a bid for $86 on PRICELINE for San Diego Coastal, which was rejected.

So after that I decided I'd rather go with Hotwire than increase my bid, so I linked to HOTWIRE (through this site, of course!) and bought the $124 4* hotel, which fortunately, did turn out to be the Hyatt Mission Bay, which I'm thrilled about.

I still need to get a room for Saturday night, which I know will be more expensive, so I'll probably end up bidding on Priceline for that and maybe go down to 3* to save a little money. I will probably re-bid in the $80 range but include 3* hotels in the coastal zone. I don't love the idea of switching hotels but I can handle it if it means saving $50 - $100.

Thanks again for your help.

Congratulations on your success... glad to hear it went as expected.

Thank you for sharing your outcome with the board and for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your bids and purchases.

If you'd like help with the remaining nite of your stay please start a NEW TOPIC.

Thanks again... enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]