3 Star Hotels in Europe

Rhine-and-Roses
By Rhine-and-Roses,
in

There have been a few postings about hotels in Europe and star level. While I agree with most of the postings about not staying in 3 star hotels in Europe, particularly in London and Paris, my experience in Germany is they are fine. I usually stay in European 4 stars, occasionally splurge on 5 stars, but the few times I've stayed at 3 stars in Germany, the hotels have been just fine. Fewer amenities, but always, always clean. Once I was even forced to stay at an "unstarred" hotel because I was snowed in at a remote (Hahn) airport, and even that 30 euro room was clean. Now let me say that there is NO WAY I would stay at anything less than a 4 star in London, and even a few of those are iffy.

So far I haven't stayed at any hotel at any level, or even hostel, that wasn't clean (although I may not have the eagle eyes of some). I think German hotels will tend to be better in standard than in some other countries.

Some experiencess with 3* and 4* hotels:

Our 3* hotel in Cologne where we have stayed several times has very friendly staff, free use of computers with Internet in the lobby, and a good if not extraordinary breakfast. The rooms are fine, but they just aren't "sharp", in some way I find hard to define. The 4* Four Points by Sheraton across the street from that one has sharp rooms (although the lobby could be improved), but you have to pay for the breakfast (15 Euros per person and it is really good). There is no free Internet. The staff was very concerned that my preferences for newspapers, etc. be met, but they weren't conversational in the same way as at the 3* hotel. So between these two hotels, I'd choose the 3* option, but the 4* one has a lot to recommend it too.

The 3* Mercure den Charit

• 3 years later...

This thread has me concerned.

We're a family of four - and because of that - we have to bid for 2 separate rooms - planning our trip to Paris and London.

I've been bidding unsuccessfully for over 2 months at 4 stars. Yet, their rates are far beyond a reasonable person's budget. So, then we were forced to settle for 3 stars in both cities.

We realize that we're going to both places during the peak summer months. After all, really, who wants to be in these places in the cold? :)

We realize that 3 Stars in Europe are not that great, but this thread is scaring me.

Our last bid for 3 stars in pretty much all the zones in London and in Paris was for $88. Still no success.

When I look at 3 star hotels in London and Paris, they don't seem that bad - Novotel, Thistle, etc. - are they really and truly dumps?

What are we to do? Bid for a gazillion dollars for two rooms at a 4-star? :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]