Hotwire Hotel: Help identifying 3* Secaucus - Meadowlands

mattrob
By mattrob,
in

Hi,

I will be travelling to NYC from 16 November until 19 November, but hotel rates are insane in Manhattan ! So I am looking to see if reasonable rates are available outside NYC, with easy travel to NYC. I thought Secaucus would be convenient, although hotels are not readily available it seems for those dates.

There is however a 3* available for those dates, for only $ 102, but amenities do not match descriptions given. It has Complimentary Breakfast, Fitness, Business Center and High speed internet access. What could I expect ?

Would there be other options worth looking at for me at those dates ? One day we will rent a car and visit Woodbury Common and in the evening we will visit a NBA game nearby.

Thanks,

MattRob

this is a bit of a guess, but I will second blindman's pick, I think its also the Hyatt Place. I searched HOTWIRE's "Packages" and the Hyatt Place is shown with these amenities: Complimentary Breakfast, Fitness Center, High-speed Internet Access. Its possible that the "Business Center" amenity was dropped to increase opacity.

Before you make the trek up to Woodbury Commons, you may want to save time by going to some of theSecaucus Outlets. Besides air, clothing in New Jersey is not taxed but it is subject to sales tax in New York State, this is a savings of about 8%. Also, you may want to try one of the Century 21 Department Stores, the closest one is in Paramus. There is a small Century 21 outlet in Secaucus, but I did not find anything worthwhile.

Thanks for your quick answers on this :) ! And thanks for the tips as well. Do you think this is a good alternative for the expensive NYC hotels ? Is the transportation to NYC quick and easy ? Or could I better look for Jersey City e.g. ?

And would priceline be an option ? The regular rates at the Hyatt Place are USD 189, so not a bad option through hotwire.

I'm not sure if this is the Hyatt Suites or not...

Hyatt Place is shown with these amenities: Complimentary Breakfast, Fitness Center, High-speed Internet Access. Its possible that the "Business Center" amenity was dropped to increase opacity.

Since this is missing a Business icon, i did a few other HOTWIRE searches, and if you search for 12/2/07-12/4/07 you'll see a hotel offered on HOTWIRE with just the three amenities above, which would lessen the odds of this being the Hyatt Place, imo (although we have seen a few hotels show different amenity icons on different searches, so i wouldn't rule it out completely, but this is rare and much more the exception rather than the rule)

What is your maximum budget for this stay? Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK, thanks. I am doubting between priceline in Jersey City (only possibilities the Doubletree or the Hyatt ?) or priceline in Saucacus. Splitting the bid ... Hm ... That would be a big guess I think. Why are you asking ?

My max bet ... Not sure exactly, would be nice to get something for $ 125 or so. I have now a backup booking at the Comfort Inn UPW for $ 225 a night ...

That would be a big guess I think.
I'm not sure what this means.
Why are you asking ?
Because if you're willing to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID you may open up some other options. (if you haven't done so already, click the previous link which explains when/why splitting your stay could be advantageous)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm not sure what this means.
Well, I am not looking forward to changing hotels, which is a risk of course.
Because if you're willing to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID you may open up some other options. (if you haven't done so already, click the previous link which explains when/why splitting your stay could be advantageous)
Yes, I have read your link. And I have done priceline bookings for quite some time now.

For me it is now looking at priceline bets in Jersey City and Secaucus. I have read your thoughts on the different zones and I understand Jersey City would be your first choice and Secaucus your second choice (although the difference is small). Jersey City has the PATH and Secaucus has the bus directly to Port Authority.

What would be your thoughts on this. First trying to bid on Jersey City 3star, up to $ 125 or so ? If no luck (with one free rebid), start all over and take Secaucus for 3star, with 2 free rebids (including Jersey City) up to ..... ? And perhaps going down to 2.5star in Secaucus and trying to get the Hyatt Place ?

In the end, I might be considering splitting the bid, I think you would mean the first 2 weekend nights (16 and 17 November) and the last Sunday night (18 November). What would be your strategy here ?

Thanks again for all your quick replies.

Jersey City has the PATH and Secaucus has the bus directly to Port Authority.

Not all hotels in the Secaucus-Meadowlands HOTWIRE zone have easy bus transportation into the city; at the 3* level, the Sheraton is an example. Staying at the 2.5* level and below, you could possibly get the Extended Stay, Homestead Suites, Comfort Inn (N.Bergen), Days Inn, all have poor access to NJ Transit bus stops.

I take it you have read this thread and also seen the Wikiand this link?

What is the rate- if it is available for the Hyatt on Hotwire for your dates?

How are you getting To\From NYC?

Yes, I have seen the links, except the broadwayfocus link. That makes it more clear now. And dahammer, thanks for the remarks on saucacus. So Jersey City 3* would be the best option, I think. Good/easy transportation to NYC is key, so we won't loose much time for travel.

Actually, we are flying into JFK, so Newark would have been easier but we thought we could stay in NYC through priceline, but prices are really high and priceline is not working for reasonable prices first two days. So we are now thinking of renting a car from the airport, travel to our New Jersey motel and go into NYC through public transport for the rest of the Friday. Saturday morning we will travel through New Jersey (including Woodbury Common) and visit basketball game of the New Jersey Nets. Sunday morning we drive into NYC and leave our car with the rental agency and visit Manhattan. On Monday we will rent a car again, pack our stuff, travel to NYC and park there and return around 2pm to JFK for our flight back ....

But now we need our hotel in Jersey ....

I have not seen Hyatt on Hotwire, but prices on their website are $ 299 and Doubletree are $ 189. Have tried already up to $ 125 ....

Any thoughts ?

The Hyatt on HOTWIRE is showing $249 for your dates.

Check out the Hotwire Hotel List so as to ID the Hyatt

Good news is that it is usually easier to get the Hyatt at weekends and for about $75-$90 per night on PL

This low PL rate is normally good when the Hyatt rate is under $200 and HOTWIRE is around $130.00

These figures can vary, so do not take as Gospel!

Car parking in Jersey city can be a problem, thereuare and Dahammmer can advice where or IF you should park!

The Candlewood Suites in Jersey has free car parking and it's quite close to the Hyatt and a fairly good place.

I have read your thoughts on the different zones and I understand Jersey City would be your first choice and Secaucus your second choice (although the difference is small).
Actually the difference between these two zones is more than small... Secaucus is a distant second choice (but sometimes forced due to price constraints and the limited number of hotels in the Jersey City waterfront area)

You'll have to price it out, but i would think that renting a car for two one way rentals (JFK-->Manhattan and then another Manhtattan-->JFK) will be more expensive than one rental from the airport for your complete stay (even though the complete rental would be for an extra day).

If you have a rental for the complete stay, cost is a factor, and you don't mind driving to the train station to commute into NYC, your options open up a bit, although since it involved driving to mass transportation, it becomes less convenient than options where mass transportation is walkable or 'right at the door' of the hotel.

1) as per our support page we are an affiliate of the Hampton Inn... hopefully you remembered to use our links :)

2) what is the address of the Hampton Inn... there is one in Carlstadt which you could litterally walk to the stadium, but the one is Secaucus is further away and you would have to drive... and i have definitive thoughts on one of them

• 2 weeks later...
1) as per our support page we are an affiliate of the Hampton Inn... hopefully you remembered to use our links :)

2) what is the address of the Hampton Inn... there is one in Carlstadt which you could litterally walk to the stadium, but the one is Secaucus is further away and you would have to drive... and i have definitive thoughts on one of them

We have stayed in the Carlstadt Hampton Inn. Price was ok ($ 119 ex taxes) and everything else was great. Actually we have only used the rental car, so did not take the bus. Bus stops (as well arriving as departing) are literally accross the street from the hotel. The drive with car from this hotel to Port Authority is about 15 - 20 minutes. And we loved all the views of Manhattan when driving from and to the city. Hotel shuttle brought us to IZOD center for the game and picked us up afterwards, complimentary (within 4 miles radius). The breakfast was really great; I actually expected nothing but it was quite good and plenty of everything. And I am quite picky, as I am used to the luxurious breakfast in the regular business hotels.

So no experience with busses (unfortunately), but with a car was quite ok. We arrived at JFK on Friday, took the car into the city (over Williamsburg bridge, no toll) and parked from 1pm until 8pm for $ 26 (SUV rate, otherwise $ 16), which is not too bad. Drove to the hotel at 8pm in 15 minutes. Next day we drove to Woodbury Common Outlets, afterwards returned to the hotel (and ate at Charlie Brown, soso ...). Then took the shuttle to IZOD (about 4 minutes) and watched the game against Miami Heat. Afterwards we called the hotel and shuttle was waiting already outside. Great service.

Sunday morning we drove into the city and returned our rental car. So no parking costs. Visited the city and rented a car Sunday night at 8pm and drove back to the hotel. Monday morning packed our stuff and went to Jersey City Mall, drove through Manhattan to Brooklyn and had lunch at Peter Luger (which was great) and returned the rental car at JFK. So all in all a wonderfull experience, for a good priced hotel !

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]