Priceline Hotel: 3* LA-San Gabriel Valley (Commerce-Norwalk-Rosemead) Marriott

Excel
By Excel,
in

Hello,

I registered today and I am confused about the bidding process.

If the hotel, for example, Residence Inn by Marriott torrance Redondo Beach ask for $119.00 a night.

Do I put in a bid at half the price or more?

Is there a way to know if the accepted bid is the same hotel.

Can someone please explain.

There are not too many bids for Culver City [north of LA LAX] and I need advice. We will stay from Nov 15-17, 2007 for two nights.

Culver city seemed to be in a convenient location, but do not need to drive to the LAX, and it is west of West Hollywood.

If you check the Culver City area [you have to click on the 'save up to 50%' name your own price screen, the screen will show that the best deal is a three star upscale. The median price for that is $194, when I put in $50 and $55, both time it says

Hello Colfax,

Thank you for the advice on how to bid. I looked up the Westside Radisson on Tripadvisor and the reviewers said that they are charged with an extra $15 a day for parking. Maybe I should bid near the airport then. The only reason for booking Culver City is that it is closer to the Getty Museum in which we want to visit.

Do hotels around the airport charge you daily parking as well? I would go for one with no charge if I have the choice.

What do you suggest?

The closest Priceline zone to the Getty Museum is Brentwood-Westwood. That's a nice area to stay but the Hotel Angeleno that comes up there on Priceline charges $18/night parking too. The Angeleo is $199 for your nights and my offhand guess is it might take $70-$100 on Priceline. (No recent history there to rely on.)

MOST 3* and higher hotels in and around LA charge to park. Some of the 2.5* do too. Staying at the airport isn't a surefire way to avoid parking charges as some of the 3* at LAX charge to park and some don't. Still, a $50-60 Priceline deal with $12 parking (for example) will turn out cheaper than anything similar you could book conventionally.

Unless you want to bid for a 2* the best approach to take in LA is plan on paying to park and be happy if you win a hotel where it's free.

What is your hotel budget for these two nights? Knowing that I'm in a better position to offer concrete suggestions. Also are you willing to drive an extra 10 miles in order to avoid pay parking?

Hello Colfax,

Bidding for a hotel room is the first time in my life. I usually rent accommodations with a kitchen when the children were young. We paid $100-$120 for a room in Extended Stay. When I ventured into this website and I was surprise. I cannot remember where, but I saw bidding as low as $29 for Extended Stay.

Now when I saw the bids can be so affordable, $70 seems to be reasonable if I am staying around Lax. It will be a joy to see if I can go low for a bid. I have not send in any bid yet, but looking forward to it. What we ask for in a hotel is that it is clean and not too noisy . If Getty Museum is our focus, will staying in the section south of Lax convenient too? It seems many bidders bid on those accommodations as well.

So any recommendations?

I understand that for this trip price is more important than location and $70 is your bidding limit. Would you rather spend in the $40's for an Extended Stay America type property or bid up to your $70 limit first for something nicer?

Also, are you flying into LAX so that staying near LAX would be convenient?

Hello Colfax,

I did not mean I want to stay at Extended Stay. Actually, I do not want to stay at ES at all!! The point I wanted to make clearly in the previous post was that travelers who do not know PL or BB paid regular hotel rate, even for hotel like ES. I balked at the $29 bid because the rates can be bidded for such affordability.

I really want to bid for something a lot nicer, so do you think $70 is enough for a nice nice stay for Lax?

I really want to bid for something a lot nicer, so do you think $70 is enough for a nice nice stay for Lax?

HOTWIRE has a 4* at LAX for $83 (probably the Sheraton) and a 3.5* for $79 (probably the Radisson). Priceline is usually less than Hotwire at LAX so chances are good you can get a 3* for $70 or less. You might even be able to get a 4*.

Before you bid LAX it might be worthwhile giving Brentwood-Westwood a try. I don't think $70 will be enough in Westwood but it's free to try and if you get accepted that will be the most convenient location to the Getty.

If you want to try for Brentwood I suggest bidding $65 for a 3*. Then add your only free rebid zone, Lawndale, and bid $70. If you don't understand free rebidding please ask. Also, to help support this board please begin your bid with the PRICELINE link at SavingsBarn.com.

If that doesn't work someone will offer a specific bid strategy for the LAX zone tomorrow. (You didn't respond whether you're flying into LA or driving. If you're driving from the East or North there are other zones besides LAX where you could probably win a 3* for less than $70 without needing to drive to the Airport.)

Hello Colfax and Thereuare,

Oops, forgot to tell you that I will fly to LAX on Nov 12 [Monday] to join my hubby who is attending a convention in Anaheim. We will venture out on our own for two more days. So that is why I stumble onto sites of PL.

I think I need to read the threads on how people bid and start from there. I am sure I will need your help again.

I start to panic when the computer ask me for my credit card number and not knowing what happen next once I press the button, I exited the site!

I will follow your advice and do it step by step next time.

Will tell you what happen then.

Have a good weekend for now and keep on helping newbies like me!

Since you're driving from the south I'll suggest considering a 2.5* in the Redondo/Manhattan Beach zone if $70 in Brentwood/Westwood fails. Sometimes the Manhattan Beach Residence Inn will come up in the $40's-$60's. The rooms are suites with full kitchens and parking is free. It's a great value if you can win it, and the drive to the Getty is only a few miles more than from LAX.

I know you haven't used Priceline before and it can be a little intimidating at the start. Your trip is still two months away and you've got LOTS of time to read the FAQs here and learn what it's all about before you bid.

You have one free rebid zone for 3* bidding in Brentwood and one free rebid zone for 2.5* bidding in Redondo/Manhattan. After reading the link thereuare posted above see if you can figure out what that one free rebid zone is. If you have questions feel free to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Colfax,

I have followed your instructions and waited for two weeks to start my bidding for Redondo Beach area. I started at $40 and increase the bid at $5 each time to $60. I tried a total of four times within twenty minutes. Their reply was that they cannot accept the offer. Am I still too early to bid or I should up my bid?

They asked me to make a change to my data, is that where the rebidding thing come in? If that is the case, please tell me about the rebidding zone.

I can bid on the Brentwood area as well. Please advise.

In the Sept 15 message, you wrote, "If you want to try for Brentwood I suggest bidding $65 for a 3*. Then add your only free rebid zone, Lawndale, and bid $70. If you don't understand free rebidding please ask. Also, to help support this board please begin your bid with the PRICELINE link at SavingsBarn.com." does it mean I go to the SavingsBarn site and click on Priceline to start the bidding process? I tried and it all lead back to the Priceline site again.

Hello Thereuare,

I still have to put in California and 99999.

Well, I have my bid in for the first time a few minutes ago since yesterday. The first bid was $60 for Redondo area three star, rejected. The second bid is the Lawndale area, it still reject me. So I have to wait till tomorrow to do the third try. Do I up my bid to $70?

Or if I bid for a whole new area, like west hollywood and put a bid in for $100 for a four star? Just wondering!

Excel,

My suggestion was that you bid for a 2.5* in Redondo/Manhattan Beach zone, not a 3*. I suggest trying $45 for a 2.5* in Redondo. If rejected add Lawndale (your only free rebid zone for 2.5*) and try $55.

Also....earlier you mentioned a limit of $70. Now you mentioned trying to $100 in West Hollywood. Is your bidding limit $70 or $100? Your bidding options are different with a $100 limit than with $70.

Hello Colfax and Thereuare,

I hoped that I did not confuse you both by jumping here and there and everywhere. I reread all the replies both of you gave to me since my first post. I also discovered that there are more areas like San Gabriel Valley etc. to bid on if I click below the PL area map (*sigh* such a slowpoke!). Please let me explain, one thing at a time.

Now, I think I get it. It is very, very important that I have to watch for the hotel star rating (which I did not from the two previous bids). My focus was drawn to the

Thanks for explaining your reasoning in some detail, Excel. The key point I get from your post is that you want a room for $70 or less and that you're flexible as to zone.

Here are some zones and quality levels where I think you might succeed at $70 or less:

3* LAX

2.5* Redondo Beach

2.5* Beverly Hills/West Hollywood

3* Burbank/Universal/Glendale

3* or 2.5* Commerce/Norwalk/Rosemead

Please indicate which among those options is acceptable to you. Or are they all okay? From a commuting standpoint I think the first three choices would be easiest. From a price standpoint 2.5* in Redondo might be the cheapest, if it's available.

Also I want to emphasize that I wasn't suggesting that you stay in Lawndale, which isn't a good area. I said you could use Lawndale as a free rebid zone to bid again for other zones that you DO want. I'm still not sure if you understand free rebidding. For the sake of forward progress I think the next step though is for you to identify which of the five options above is acceptable to you.

My personal suggestion is to try for 2.5* in Redondo first; then 2.5* in Beverly Hillls; then 3* at LAX. But we can do it in any order if you have some other preference.

Hello Colfax,

I made a bid for Commerce/Norwalk/Rosemead 3* for $70, the next message from PL was to ask us to up another $17 and we will get the bid immediately.

We did not do that, instead we exercise the free rebid for Monrovia/Duarte, a 2.5*. PL accepted our bid for $70 faster than we thought.

We are getting 3* Marriot Norwalk.

Now I know how to bid and rebid.

Thanks a lot, two thumbs up for both of you, Colfax and Thereuare!

Hello,

I did not raise the price, I stayed at $70 for my free rebid. $70 was the accepted price for Marriot.

The only thing I was curious about was that before I conduct the free rebid, the message from PL asking me to up $17 more dollars. Do they do that often? Or is this just a bait to lure bidders to bid higher?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]