England London Melia White House

mapsmith
By mapsmith,
in

Stayed here on two successive 3day Priceline bids of $94/night from Feb 17-23, 2004.

This was my true expectation of what a 4* hotel should be. The Melia White House is located 100 yards north of the Great Portland Street Tube Stop. However, getting to Great Portland involves changing at another station to get on the Circle Line Tube. However, two blocks west is the Regent Park Tube Stop which is on the Bakerloo line which will take you quickly to Oxford Circus, Picadilly, and Westminster.

Two blocks east is Warren Street which also connects to "downtown".

The Hotel itself is in a fairly quiet area, although the Great Portland Hospital is nearby, we only heard one or two sirens.

The room was fairly roomy. (it was mentioned as 9'x27') we had two twins made up as twins but pushed together as a king. Arrangement was okay for a couple but if two business people staying in the same room, you might want to push them apart a little. Plenty of mirrors to make the room feel larger.

Few unusual features. First you must put a room key into the slot inside the door to work the lights, (this also provides a small light on the outside to let employees know the room is occupied) Also even though the hotel is on 220v electric, it appeared that there were also outlets for USA 115v and Euro and possibly Australian 220v. Did not try any of the USA 115 because did not want to fry my phone. Might want to ask at the desk before you do. Also US phone jack, but appeared that the two line phone might also be hooked to the room next door. Again ask at desk.

The most amusing thing is the elevators (lifts) are computer controlled. You enter your floor number and it tells you which lift to go to (A,B,C, D). You proceed to that elevator and it takes you to your floor. No buttons to push in the lift. (Was fun watching people trying to figure it out the first time.)

Good 4* hotel and would stay here again. (However, rack rate is 250GBP and internet rates run 175GBP)

Good location and quiet.

• 1 year later...

This is a hotel with a non-eye catching exterial, but very pretty interial. Beautiful carpets, crown molding, etc. The standard room is very small but very clean and pretty. I think it has the "class", as good as many 5-star hotel in the US. I paid $100/night + tax through Priceline on the 30th and 31st of Dec 2005. I was worried after reading some bad reviews at tripvisor, but now totally agree with the good reviews. I wasn't asked to upgrade, probably because of the date I checked in. I don't think there would be many vacancies.

The staffs from those behind the reception desk to the housekeeping people were all curteous and they dressed up really nicely.

The location is not far from the town area at all. The Grand Portland St. Underground station is just 50 yards away. The circle line is very convenience. Or change at the Baker Street Station to the Jubilee line to go south faster. There is a mini-market near the station for snacks, drinking water, etc. Within walking distance is the Regent park. Although it was the middle of the winter when I was there, I was suprised to see the green grass, and flowers. The London Zoo is at the North end of the Park too.

I moved to Holiday Inn Kensington Forum for the rest of my stay in London because I couldn't get anything for under $70/night at the Marble Arch area. I would say Holiday Inn is at least half a star worse than MWH.

• 2 years later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]