NJ Jersey City Doubletree Club Suites

TravelGuy
By TravelGuy,
in

If you're arriving by the PATH, the hotel stands out clearly, looking newly constructed, immediately to the left upon exiting the Newport/Pavonia station. From there it's less than a five minute walk.

I arrived at 3:45 to check in and was reminded how small a world it can be. A guy who is a regular at my gym, whom I see several times a week but had never actually met, was right ahead of me, with a Priceline confirmation sheet in hand no less. He had been trying to check in since noon. Turns out we were both getting the Priceline treatment: I was told my room wasn't ready as well. And in the 30 minutes I had to wait, there were plenty of rooms for the half dozen parties who checked in and went straight up. The polite desk clerk did apologize a couple of times though, explaining that the hotel was sold out and the maids were having a tough time getting to all the rooms in time.

The room, 201, was on what must be the Priceline side of the hotel when it

• 2 years later...

We stayed here 4 nights out of a total 7 night stay in the Jersey City area. We had to split our stay as we were only able to book Sat-Mon and Thu-Sat stays. For $75 a night, this hotel provided great value. As the previous reviewer mentioned, the hotel's location is less than a 5 minute walk from the Newport/Paonia PATH train station. During normal weekday operating hours, it made for an easy ride into Manhattan going up to 33rd Street, but during weekends and after 11 pm, the PATH reconfigures the routes. If you are wanting to go into downtown Manhattan, you have to transfer at the Grove Street station. To get to and from 33rd Street, the PATH will go to the Hoboken station. It adds about 10 minutes to your journey, but after a long day, it can seem forever.

The only minor criticisms I could make of this place was that we were given the Priceline treatment. The two rooms we received were located right next to the elevator banks. The 455 lounge served a buffet bakfast, but we didn't feel we got real value out of it. Don't use the Avis car rental service in the lobby. The prices were out of sight compared to the fact that the Enterprise 18th St location will pick you up and process you 5 minutes away at half the price of Avis and twice the service.

Proud to be Canadian!

• 1 year later...

We stayed here for a second time about 15 months after our first trip. Again, we enjoyed staying here, and have a few things to add.

Our 2006 stay had us checked into a queen room. This time around, we stayed in a double/double room, along with a king room. We checked into the hotel for a 5 day stay starting on Tuesday, and were told that we had been assigned a king smoking room. We asked to be switched to a non-smoking room, and while no promises were made, we were assigned our double/double non-smoking room, which worked out with 3 in our party. Due to some circumstances, we needed another room, and got one our last night there. This time, we were stuck with the king smoking room, which was sprayed down, but they couldn't get the all the smoke smell out. Our only criticism this time around was that the sound proofing between rooms on our 3rd floor suite was not that good. We could hear someone using the bathroom next door.

We asked for advice on how to get to LaGuardia Airport, and the first suggestion was to take the PATH back into Manhattan and call a cab. Having four suitcases made this option unrealistic. When we asked how much hiring a car service would be, the desk clerk (who seemed to be a new employee) thought it was $45 plus tolls, and we asked the hotel to book a car for us. When we were in the car, the driver (who happened to be the fiance of a desk clerk at the hotel) thought that was funny, and he said it was going to be $75 plus tolls. While we were unhappy about getting wrong info, the cost savings of the trip by staying in Jersey City instead of Manhattan during the week was significant enough to not complain too much about it.

Proud to be Canadian!

• 3 years later...

Stayed here December 11, 2010. Great staff, very friendly (everyone from front desk to valet to bartender). The suite was roomy and clean. Comfortable bed. 2 flat screen TVs.

Dorothea at the front desk was so nice, she gave us warm chocolate chip cookies upon check-in and then upon checkout as well. She also called us a cab.

Note that Parking is $20. and the bar in the hotel is very expensive ($17.50 for 2 Coronas - Manhattan prices in NJ). I would stay again though!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]