I've never used Priceline or Hotwire

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

PRICELINE EXPRESS is a relatively new feature. It seems to me like it is PRICELINE's way of competing with HOTWIRE.

There is some anecdotal evidence that bidding on PL is a little less expensive than taking the Express deals. However, the hotel star ratings should be the same between the three PL products (bidding, Express, and retail), although there may be different hotels in each.

I can't answer your question as to the guest ratings.

By considering a PRICELINE EXPRESS offer as your bidding cap, you can keep from bidding more than the offer while testing if you can do better.

The newness of the product means there isn't yet a well developed member-contributed body of information for providing the educated guesses as to what you might get in the PRICELINE EXPRESS deals. Whereas, since HOTWIRE has been around quite a while, the guesses for Hotwire are generally pretty good.

Personally, I consider the PRICELINE EXPRESS deals sort of in-between PL bidding and PL retail. A little more information and a little easier than bidding, but still not as definite as retail. And the prices therefore in the same relationship.

You are not alone in your confusion. Since the product has come out, I've read quite a few posts with similar questions and concerns.

Romelle

• 2 months later...

I echo my fellow "returning traveller's" sentiments. Though an experienced traveller, I am not experienced with Priceline, especially the "Name your price tool." How does that work? I went on the site to try it out, to experiment with it and see if my bids were accepted or rejected - shockingly, all bids were accepted. Not being entirely naive, I am wondering if I was doing this incorrectly - after all, it is not feasible that Denver to Miami could cost $2, plus taxes and fees, could it? At what point is your bid "accepted?" The site has taken any bids I've made, and put me through to the next "enter your credit card info" screen - does that mean this will be my price, or this will be my "bid?" And how do you back out, should you find that the bidding is not going in your favor, and you've already entered credit card info?

Thanks in advance :)

You're looking at the 'preview screen' which is when PRICELINE asks you to review the information before it is submitted. An available hotel, airline ticket, or rental car at your named price is not checked until after you submit your credit card information and click the "BUY" button... if a hotel, airline ticket, or rental car is available at the price you stipulated, it is booked and immediately purchased (no chance to back-out once you enter the credit card info and click the button)

If you'd like help with any upcoming travel plans please start a NEW TOPIC.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 year later...

Resort fees are commonly seen in only a few areas, such as Orlando and Vegas. However, they have started popping up a bit more in other areas. HOTWIRE has an approximate resort fee showing (if there is one) if you click on a listing and then scroll down to the bottom of the detail page (look for the "Know Before You Go" section.)

Please start a new thread with the details of your trip and we would be happy to offer suggestions.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

• 2 years later...

Ping1000,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Your bid price is before fees/taxes.

During the bidding process (before you enter your credit card details) you will be shown a page that will show you the total price that will be charged if your bid is accepted.  Since this screen is before you provide your credit card details, you could go to PRICELINE now, enter your desired city, location, dates, etc and see what the total would be, without any concern of being charged (since you have not yet entered any credit card information)

If you'd like more assistance with an upcoming trip (like how much to bid, a bidding strategy to follow, etc) feel free to start a NEW TOPIC with the details of your trip (desired star rating, city, zone(s), dates, budget, etc)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]