Priceline Hotel: 3* San Francisco (Fishermans Wharf) Hilton

trima
By trima,
in

I've never used priceline before and I never thought I would but, somehow, here I am. It's kind of exciting.

This is what I'm looking for:

• Check-in: May 9, 2006 (tue) Check-out: May 12, 2006 (fri)
  • Fisherman's Wharf area
    (I could maybe do Union Sqaure East if there is a convincing reason for doing so)
  • 4* or possibly 3* hotel
  • The maximum I am willing to bid is $86. But of course lower is better.

Sorry if I'm missing some pertinent information, this is all so new to me. How do I go about the bidding process? What is a good starting bid?

You have three re-bid zones at the 4* level in San Francisco. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well I very apprehensively tried this whole rebidding strategy. I say apprehesive because I was nervous about somehow getting a room in a zone I did not really want. What if I *thought* I understood the re-bidding strategy but I didn't actually? Well thankfully I think I understand it, but nonetheless I wasn't successful this first time around.

I did use the link through savingsbarn.com.

This is what I tried:

Bid $70, rejected so I added re-bid zone (Cathedral Hill - which didn't have any 4* hotels)...

Bid $75, rejected so I added re-bid zone (Civic Center - which didn't have any 4* hotels)...

Bid $80, rejected so I decided to stop for today.

Any advice on what to do tomorrow? I'm willing to go to $86, if that gets rejected then think I will consider 3* hotels or possibly Union Square East. Also, if I decide to go for a 3* hotel, what would be a good starting bid?

I would try as follows:

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $83.

If the above fails, let us know which route you would like to go (USE or 3 stars) and we'll suggest a strategy based upon what you want.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is what I tried today:

Bid $80, rejected so I added re-bid zone (Civic Center - which didn't have any 4* hotels)...

Bid $83, rejected so I lowered my star rating to 3* (Civic Center didn't have any 3* hotels)...

Bid $60, rejected so I decided to stop for today.

After I bid $83, I started thinking that I could live with a 3* hotel so that's why I changed to a 3* rating. My intial bid of $60 for a 3* was really just a stab in the dark. I think my next strategy will be to try to get a 3* hotel in FW under $75 (but again hopefully lower). If that doesn't work I will go back to the 4* and try up to $86.

Two things ...

1. To address your question of whether bidding $75 after being rejected at $80 the previous day makes sense or not, click the link to the thread below:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=23421&

2. Today you bid $80 for 4 star and $83 for 3 star. While you're not breaking any laws, it's best not to lower your quality level while raising your bid price simultaneously. It can cause you to overbid for the lower quality property. Just something to remember for your future bidding.

Good luck, I hope you'll be successfull before too long. Don't get discouraged! I was nervous, too, about the whole free rebid thing when I was a newbie. But it looks like you understand the concept, so go with it and enjoy the experience!

Thanks for the link sharing your experiences about the change in price in a short period of time. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind. What is the difference between opaque prices and traditional?

2. Today you bid $80 for 4 star and $83 for 3 star. While you're not breaking any laws, it's best not to lower your quality level while raising your bid price simultaneously. It can cause you to overbid for the lower quality property

I don't think I did this (unless I am missing someting) sorry if my post wasn't clearer. I bid $83 for a four star hotel which was rejected. It was then that I decided to open up to 3* hotels. My first bid with 3* selected as an option was $60.

Thanks for the link sharing your experiences about the change in price in a short period of time. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind. What is the difference between opaque prices and traditional?

I don't think I did this (unless I am missing someting) sorry if my post wasn't clearer. I bid $83 for a four star hotel which was rejected. It was then that I decided to open up to 3* hotels. My first bid with 3* selected as an option was $60.

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you had bid $80 for 4 star, then $83 for 3 star. My Mistake.

"Opague" is another way to reference Priceline hotels, meaning the identity of the property isn't revealed until after the purchase is made. Conventional, or traditional pricing is where you select a specific property at their current posted rates. In the case referenced, Hilton didn't accept my bid of $150 via Priceline one day when their traditional rate was $350. But when they lowered to $299, they accepted my Priceline bid of $110 the following day. Hence thereuare's reference to lower traditional pricing translating into lower accepted Priceline rates.

Hope that helps.

This is what I tried yesterday:

Select 3* Fishermans Wharf...

Bid $65, rejected so I added re-bid zone (Civic Center - which didn't have any 3* hotels)...

Bid $70, rejected so I decided to stop.

I'm still not yet comfortable with the idea of picking a zone that's really far away from where I want to stay. If somehow I mess up and I end up in the Civic Center it seems like all is not lost... but if I end up in San Francisco South that's a different story...

As a newbie, it's normal to feel uneasy about including in your bid a zone you have no desire to stay in. If you're looking for a 3 star hotel in Fisherman's Wharf, you can add any zone to your bid that doesn't have 3 star hotels and you'll be fine. Trust me, it's a tried and true method that's repeated 1000's of times every day!

Just do a little exercise at Priceline and check off each zone separately to see the highest level of hotel in that particular zone. Any zone that goes only as high as 2.5 stars is *safe* to include in your bid for a 3 star hotel in Fisherman's Wharf.

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]