Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (Union Square East - Nob Hill) Orchard Garden Hotel

Experimentee
By Experimentee,
in

I'm a first time visitor to San Francisco, and have made the mistake of booking my trip during the Oracle World convention, which means hotel prices for my dates are 3 times the normal price. Hoping to use Priceline to get something at about the normal price I would pay on non-convention dates. My dates are 3-5 October 2017.

Willing to to spend about $300 per night (even this budget can't seem to get me anything decent through normal channels). Would like anything from 3 to 5 star rating and well located in proximity of shopping, nightlife, attractions etc for a first time visitor. 

What zones do you recommend bidding in? Are there any zones to avoid? 

Depending upon your airline's cancellation fees you may want to look into canceling and re-booking for more regular demand dates, as even if you pay $150 to cancel i think you will be paying more than this in a premium for 2 nites in a hotel room for these dates.

Most frequently bid zones (but you should confirm which will / won't work for your own needs):

Union Square East

Union Square West - but includes the ternderloin which has a bit of homelessness which makes it less desirable to some

Fisherman's Wharf - touristy

Financial District - slightly less convenient but often a less expensive option than directly 'downtown' given San Francisco's very good mass transit system

South of Market - not bid as often as usually something can be had in USE/USW for similar price, but may want to be something to consider (although i would think less likely for your dates since near Moscone Center)

The two options closest to your criteria i currently see for your dates:

4* HOTWIRE Union Square West for $352.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Room Accessible
==> best guess here would be the The Marker San Francisco, a Joie de Vivre Hotel (hotel charges a $22 resort fee but we also have a current $30 off HOTWIRE purchases promotion that you can see in my signature below and at the top of the board)

4* Union Square West (confirm your dates on the landing page of this link) for $384
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> Staypineapple At The Alise San Francisco is my guess here

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed (or how it goes if you take one of the offers above) and we will take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your help. I've changed my dates that I will be in San Francisco and will now need accommodation for 5-8 October (3 nights). Prices seem normal during these dates. 

I I have decided that I would like a hotel in Union Square East (I have heard this is where the action is, and i want to avoid being in the Tenderloin). Also would not mind Fishermans Wharf. Preferably 4 star or above. 

Curently there is a 4.5 star PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal for $291 in Fishermans Wharf with these amenities, any idea?

Free InternetBusiness CenterFitness Center

Non Smoking

Pets AllowedRestaurant

For this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer (confirm your dates on the landing page of link provided below):

4.5* Fisherman's Wharf for $237
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
==> best guess would be the Argonaut Hotel

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

4 star boutique hotel in Union Square East

$158 per night for 10/6 to 10/8 

Amenities: 

Boutique hotelFitness centerGolf nearbyInternet accessSelf-service laundrySmoke-free rooms

80% recommended 

3.5 Trip Advisor 

resort fee $25 per room per night 

4 star hotel in Union Square East

$188 per night

Amenities:

Boutique hotelBusiness centerFitness centerInternet accessPet friendlyRestaurant(s)Smoke-free rooms

85% recommended 

3/5 Trip Advisor 

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. Once you win a hotel, use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the upper right corner of the page to edit the topic title to reflect your win and to provide the details of your purchase. This helps keep the board better organized by reducing the number of unresolved threads that don't have any follow-up or conclusion.

Have you changed your dates again to not include 10/5, have you already purchased a different hotel for that nite, or is that nite still pending?

Ok thanks, I started a different topic as I thought that Hotwire posts must be posted in Hotwire section, but I will know to keep it all to the same thread next time.

I decided to go to Yosemite National Park first and have booked accommodation there for the night of 10/5. So I now only need 6 and 7 Oct in San Francisco.

For the hotwire properties above:

4* HOTWIRE Union Square East for $158.00
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
==> i don't have any insight into this offer

For the second property i'm not seeing this on a current search for your dates, i'm seeing this one which is similar, but the amenities are slightly different and this one has a 4.0/5.0 TA rating and is 80% recommended:

4* Union Square East for $187.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
==> if this is what you're currently seeing this matches previous reports for the Stanford Court San Francisco and would be my best guess here

You may also want to consider this offer from PRICELINE EXPRESS (confirm your dates on the landing page of any provided links):

4* Union Square West for $198
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
==> not 100% certain but i believe this may be the Hotel Zeppelin San Francisco

Let us know what you ultimately decide or how we can be of further help.

When i click the link above i see the $198/nite rate... i would try it again.

If you're still seeing $245 try a new search in BiddingHelper.com... in the PRICELINE EXPRESS tab what do you see as the price offered for the 4* hotel in the USW zone?

EDIT TO ADD: are you sure both country and currency are set to US as it looks like you may be seeing an all-in price instead of the room rate before taxes/fees

5 hours ago, Experimentee said:

Total price is $489.98, which is $245 plus taxes

Your math doesn't work out, as $489.98 is (roughly) $245 x 2 nites... so it can't be $245 plus taxes for a total price of $489.98.  Either the total price is $245 per nite including taxes or the total is not $489.98.

After clicking the link above this is what i see in the Summary Of Charges section:

Price per Night: $198

Rooms: 1

Nights: 2

Room Subtotal: $396.00

Trip Protection: $0.00

Taxes and Fees: $93.98

Total Price: $489.98 <-- note this is the same total price you reference above

Can you copy paste the 'summary of charges' section of what you're seeing when clicking the 4* hotel offered above.

This is what I see:

Price per Night: $245

Rooms: 1

Nights: 2

Room Subtotal: $396.00

Taxes and Fees: $93.98

Total Price: $489.98

You are correct that the math doesnt work out, but this is what I see, I have copied and pasted exactly. They must be displaying the "all in" price rather than price exclusive of taxes

Some non-US versions of PRICELINE the site show the room rate on an all-in basis so they must be detecting your location via IP address or something similar.

So back to the issue at hand... will this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer work for your plans?

There is now also appearing this 4 star USE property (as always, confirm your dates on the landing page of any provided links):

4* Union Square East - Nob Hill for $188
Restaurant
Free Internet
==> the well reviewed Orchard Garden Hotel would be my best guess for this one

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]