BNA Nashville Midsize Budget

SteveinPhilly1
By SteveinPhilly1,
in

I need a car for 5 days in Nashville 9/13-18/17. I prefer a mid-size but can get into a Compact (but I'm to big for an Economy). I have won a mid size in past years on PL at $20/day. I see some folks recently got a Compact for $16/day. I've been bidding $20 on Midsize on PL and then change to Compact at same $20. It wants me to bid $34 - which I won't do.

Best price on HOTWIRE - which doesn't allow bids - is $37./day 

I won't do until you tell me I'm doing right thing. I love you folks and ALWAYS use your PRICELINE bidding links. Thanks!

At current rates $20 is much too low, imo, you're more likely looking in the $28-$30 area at current prices (but you do have some time to see if rates will come down at all... but you also want to protect yourself should rates rise).

You don't mention your pick-up/drop-off times but i would change your search to 5 days + 2 hours as this will put you into weekly rates (instead of a 5 day rental).  Doing so using the CARS button of our BiddingHelper.com tool then shows you in the PRICELINE RETAIL tab a Compact Car for $32/date (or $278 all-in for the complete rental period)... this is cheaper than HOTWIRE's all-in rate for the 5 day rental and is also refundable (just confirm during the booking process, but probably doesn't even require a credit card to book)

So at least now you have a firm 'price to beat' and are protected from any rate increases and it becomes a question of how soon do you raise your PRICELINE bid price vs. continue to wait to see lower prices.

Does this gameplan work for you... any questions?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So, My REAL times are 5/13/17 pick up at 9:30 AM (flight arrival time is 9:18) and 5/18/17 drop off at 10:30 AM - flight at noon. That brought up $39/day for a Compact Using your plan , I entered Pick up at 9:30 and drop off at 11:30 on PL and got a daily rate for Compact of $32. (midsize was $34) for total with fees of $278.24.. Using HOTWIRE for that 5 days + 2 hr (i was given $31 for Compact and $32 for midsize (non cancellable of course)

It looks like PRICELINE uses a 48 hour rebid window. So tomorrow is my next chance. Any other bidding strategy?  A 20% discount factor would be $25.60 but I'd really like to max at $22 as we get closer and would take $20 for a compact. 

29 minutes ago, SteveinPhilly1 said:

It looks like PRICELINE uses a 48 hour rebid window.

The re-bidding window for car rentals is 24 hours.

29 minutes ago, SteveinPhilly1 said:

for total with fees of $278.24

Book this assuming it's fully refundable to protect yourself from rates heading even higher from here.

... then use whatever discount you would like from this amount to make locking in a non-refundable reservation worthwhile at this point in time (gradually increasing as you get closer to your pick-up date... but you need that back-up reservation to make this a solid plan).

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much for thinking of me. I went in and chose a Compact and chose 5 days (the rate inly went down per day by 2 dollars if I added the extra 2 hours). With the $30 off it was $295.50 but I was able to get a compact for $245.45 with no pre pay and cancelable. So, obviously that is best deal now till I get a winnibng beid on PL. I can try again tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Update. I've been bidding ever two days at $25 for a mid-size and then $25.00 for a Compact. I had a guaranteed mid-size fully cancellable at Alamo through PL  at a total of $245.45. so that was my target. I even bid $25 on a Compact Car. and raised to $26. So no deal. Tonight I went on PL and bid $25 for midsize and lost. It said I could get for $27 but I bid $26 for the midsize and WON>! It total was $204.63 from BUDGET. Much more than last year but I have it and can now cancel the one that was $245.45. And I did use the BB PRICELINE portal. Thanks again as always!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]