Priceline Hotel: New York City - Sept 11-Sept 19

sf11
By sf11,
in

I have never before used the site for bidding and I'd appreciate some help with the proper strategy. I am looking for a 4 star hotel in Manhattan for 8 nights (Sept 11-Sept 19) if possible for $200 or less including taxes. How should I go about it?  Thanks.

I am reading the FAQ to learn more about bidding. The FAQ describes how to identify star levels available in each zone, as below. It seems that the website changed since these instructions have been posted as I cannot find what they mention. It might be my problem... How can one determine the stars for each zone? Are there new instructions some other place? Thanks.

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is as follows:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter {your city} and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region. 

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone in the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

If you're new to the concept of re-bidding you're strongly encouraged to confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding. As well, if you don't follow the instructions above, or would like a suggested bidding strategy for an upcoming stay, feel free to start a NEW TOPIC on the board and we'll try to assist further. We're here to help :)

Please start by following-up your previous San Francisco Priceline hotel and Priceline Australia threads with whatever you ended up doing for each of those trips, then reply here and we will walk you through any confusion you're having in regards to determining your PRICELINE re-bid zones.

Please follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I never really bid as I didn't understand how to do it the "right" way, I didn't know the difference between Hotwire and Priceline's systems and I didn't have the time to research everything....   So I used a hotel in SF and apartments in Australia and didn't realize that updates are expected even if I don't bid. Sorry about that, it was quite a while ago when it happened. Maybe now I will be luckier. Thanks.

18 hours ago, sf11 said:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is as follows:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter {your city} and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region. 

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone in the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

The method above still applies, the only differences is that we now have a QUICK SEARCH box (upper left corner of the page) where one search will give you results from both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE... or you can just click the button next to PRICELINE (in the QUICK QUOTE search box) and then proceed to step #2.

Post your results, or ask questions if you're confused, and we'll take it from there.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, now I understand. Two questions:

- do Hotwire and Priceline have the same zones and star system? Is whatever I get valid for both?

- how often does this list change? I could compile it today but I will be away until the 24th and I would not want to do it if it will be different by the time I come back...

I did not mention in my post that probably I would compromise and also look for a 3.5 rating and that I would find every listed zone acceptable in Manhattan but would like to avoid Times Square and Madison Square Garden. Is the $200/night (including taxes and fees) out of the question? I will get to the next step when I come back. In the mean time, thanks for the help.

PRICELINE and HOTWIRE are different services/do not have the exact same zones and star ratings. Zones can change at times. Inventory/rates for your particular dates absolutely change at any time and may change multiple times between now and your stay. September in NYC is generally busy/expensive - looking at these dates I do think that Midtown for $200 including taxes/fees is probably not realistic, but a bit under $200 before taxes/fees may be. However, if you are not booking until the 24th, rates may look different/very different by then - higher or lower.

Thanks. I asked the question re. Priceline and Hotwire zones because the prior reply mentioned that "QUICK SEARCH box (upper left corner of the page) where one search will give you results from both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE"..  

I feel awfully stupid after navigating left and right. I "practiced" and identified as described the highest star rating for some zones. When I come back I will do it for all the zones I am interested in. But I could not find anywhere (unless I missed) a first time "user guide" to tell me what to do step-by-step. Is there one posted someplace? I have no idea what to do....

Also is there any info available about which website (Hotwire or Priceline) offers the best chance for getting the best prices?

I appreciate the help, I would love to learn how to attempt to bid and hopefully succeed.

10 hours ago, sf11 said:

When I come back I will do it for all the zones I am interested in.

You need to do this for all of the zones listed on the bidding page... not just the ones that you are interested in staying in.

Let us know once you complete the above, post your findings here, and we'll take it from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again:

I just did my homework and identified the highest quality levels for all 32 zones listed by Priceline for NYC, one by one. I only care for hotels in Manhattan. I would like to start with level 4 hotels. Based on what I see, there would be 11 zones (out of the 32) available for free rebidding, zones that have only up to level 3.5 quality level hotels. Ideally I would like to avoid paying a "resort fee", would like to find a 4 star hotel in Manhattan for around a $200 max including taxes. I need 8 nights (Sept 11-19).

I would appreciate help with the bidding strategy:

- how much to start with

- should I include all acceptable Manhattan zones that show 4 star hotels in the first bid

Thanks in advance.

20 minutes ago, sf11 said:

I would like to start with level 4 hotels. Based on what I see, there would be 11 zones

Correct, currently when bidding 4* in NYC you have ELEVEN re-bid zones.

21 minutes ago, sf11 said:

Ideally I would like to avoid paying a "resort fee",

When bidding on PRICELINE you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose... there is no way to avoid a hotel that charges a resort fee.  If this is important to you then you may want to use PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE where the hotel offered is a specific property and any resort fee information is (usually) shown.

24 minutes ago, sf11 said:

4 star hotel in Manhattan

Are all Manhattan zones acceptable, as some are more centrally located and convenient than others?  Regardless of the zones you do choose, at current rates i think you are more likely looking at something in the $175-$200 range for a 4* hotel before fees/taxes. (and to avoid any confusion please list your maximum bid in terms of bid price since that is the amount you will entering when bidding)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed (continue with bidding on PRICELINE or if you want to instead look at PRICELINE EXPRESS / HOTWIRE because of the potential resort fee), as well as let us know which zones (by PRICELINE name) you'd like to include in your bidding (if indeed that is how you'd like to move forward from here)

Thanks for your quick reply. Based on your answer I would like to bid and set the max (before any taxes and fees to $175) for a 4 star hotel in Manhattan, for 8 nights (2 people), Sept 11-19.

While I am willing to take any hotel in any zones in Manhattan, if I had to prioritize them, they would be in the following order:

Madison Square Garden

Downtown - Wall st

Times Square

Midtown East

Grand Central Terminal

Rockefeller Center

Central Park South

Midtown West

Upper West side

Empire State Building

Lower East side

Chelsea

SoHo

Upper East Side

West Village

Union Square

Based on this, how many should I include in the first bid? Should I start with $120 and use the 11 free bids by increasing the price with $5 at a time? Thanks.

To confirm... is the lowest price within Manhattan your objective (as some zones are generally considered to be more central than others, and to most, worth paying a bit more for).  For example, Downtown-Wall St (which you included as #2 in your list above but is generally not considered to be the most convenient for the average tourist), and similarly for the Upper West Side and Upper East Side zones, may only be worth less for you to stay in vs. a more central area.

Also, note that in the MSG zone (your first choice) the Wyndham New Yorker is frequently won and that property gets some mixes reviews.  As well, in the CPS zone is the Hudson New York                            which is well located but has notoriously small rooms... would both of these be acceptable outcomes?

I know you're ready to get started and bid, but we're just trying to make sure that you get something that you're going to be happy with and meets your expectations for 8 nites.:smile:

So in summary, if you're goal is to simply get the least expensive 4* hotel in Manhattan then we can certainly move forward and bid all zones up to your maximum bid price, but if you place some value on location then you could group the zones into 2-3 different categories (first group choice, second group choice, third group choice) and then bid your first group choice up to $xx, if that fails then bid your second group choice up to $xx, if that fails then bid your third group choice up to $xx. (and if you decide to go this latter option please confirm that you're comfortable with your zone priority order above, as you know your needs better than we do, but some of your first choice zones are not typical of the average traveler)

Let us know your thoughts (question) and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for the helpful comments and advice. I was trying to pick hotels that are closer to transportation options for EWR, that's why MSG and Wall St are on the top....   I will take a look at the hotels that you mentioned and probably group the hotels and bid the groups sequentially. What do I have to do before restarting with group 2 if group 1 didn't not end with an accepted bid? After I make the final decision about the zones in each group, will you provide the actual strategy (to make sure that I did not misunderstand something)?

5 minutes ago, sf11 said:

After I make the final decision about the zones in each group, will you provide the actual strategy (to make sure that I did not misunderstand something)?

Yes, you got it correct (although if we have additional questions we will ask first)

5 minutes ago, sf11 said:

I was trying to pick hotels that are closer to transportation options for EWR, that's why MSG and Wall St are on the top....

You're in NYC for EIGHT nites... don't chose a less convenient location for the length of your stay based upon how easy it is to get to/from the airport.:wink:  How is it that you intend to get to/from the airport? (as it sounds like you may be thinking of taking the PATH in?  might not be the best of ideas, but even if you decide this is your best option, you could always take a $10 taxi ride to your hotel and stay in a more convenient location than 'downtown')

Using your zones above this would be my groupings (you don't need to follow this list as posted as your needs and/or hotel tastes my differ from my own):

Times Square

Grand Central Terminal

Rockefeller Center

Empire State Building

==> all of these are generally considered to be convenient and centrally located

Chelsea --> goes pretty far west, but the area is 'hot' right now so even if end up far west should be a nice stay

SoHo --> shopping/boutiques just not my thing, but i'd be happy to stay here for the right price

Lower East side --> not the most central but often cheaper than other zones, and the area is 'up and coming' right now with lots of new bars, restaurants, etc.

West Village --> i like this area, but very few hotels here and we don't usually see as a winning bid area

Union Square --> convenient and near subways but very few hotels here and we don't usually see as a winning bid area

Madison Square Garden --> would prefer to avoid the Wydham New Yorker as i prefer newer hotels vs. historic

Downtown - Wall st --> OK for the right price, but i would only bid this zone if closer to my check-in date and/or thought i could get a very good price

Central Park South --> i would aim to avoid the Hudson Hotel for reasons due to room size

Midtown West --> the hgiher rated hotels in this zone go a bit far west

Upper West side --> just not convenient for typical visitor needs

Upper East Side --> just not convenient for typical visitor needs

Midtown East --> most of the zone is convenient but has the 4.5* One UN New York which is a bit too far west to be convenient, imo

Those are my thoughts.:smile: ... although the above may be overkill as i think if you are successful at a $175 or better bid price it will most likely be in the Lower East Side zone.  You may certainly get lucky and win something in another 'higher' ranked zone, but if you are successful i think the LES is the most likely place.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed.

Thanks a lot. You are right about the transportation...  I will reconsider the list and grouping and send back the changed list. I am concerned based on the reviews about the 2 hotels in question, particularly since quite a few of them mention dirt, maintenance issues, etc. , beyond just room size.  I also much prefer new vs. "historic". LES (based on our last visit) seems to be an acceptable area by now. As long as I am decently close to the subway, we should be OK.  Would you know which hotels are a potential in LES?

41 minutes ago, sf11 said:

I am concerned based on the reviews about the 2 hotels in question

When bidding on PRICELINE there is no information provided about the specific hotel, so any 4* hotel in the zone (or an upgrade to a higher rated hotel) is possible... which is why some prefer to pay a little more with PRICELINE EXPRESS / HOTWIRE and have additional information about the specific hotel being purchased... see reviews, know amenities, take a guess as to the underlying property, etc.

If you're looking to gain some insight int the property this would look to be your best option near your budget (less $30 using the promotion at the to of the page):

4* HOTWIRE Lower East Side - East Village for $189.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> best guess for this property would be the Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side (only 3.5* rated by PRICELINE) which is fairly new, gets good reviews, and is within 2 blocks of the F an M lines which can easily take you to midtown in about 10 a minute ride (although after 8 days you will likely grow tired of just about any subway line you ride daily)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed.

Thanks. I will try to bid, assuming for starters the max of $175 before taxes and any other fees. So here is the prioritized grouping, as I like your suggestions:

Group 1:

Grand Central Terminal

Rockefeller Center

Empire State Building

Chelsea

Group 2:

Times Square

SoHo 

Lower East side 

West Village

Union Square 

Group 3:

Downtown - Wall st 

Midtown West 

Upper East Side 

Midtown East 

So using the link to PRICELINE from your website I will start with the zones in Group 1 at $120 and then add $5 and one of the 11 free re-bid zones at each turn, and hope for the best. Is this correct?

Using your ELEVEN re-bid zones (confirm your re-bid zones before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked) i would bid as follows:

Select 4* Grand Central, ESB, Chelsea
Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...
Select 4* Rock Center, ESB, Chelsea

** as this point i would switch to your second group of zones since you give yourself to stay there for less... if you prefer to pay more for your original set of zones then skip the 2 bidding cycles below

** now you're going to go back to your original zones in Group 1

Select 4* Grand Central, Rock Center, ESB, Chelsea
Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

** and now your original zones in Group 2

Select 4* Times Square, Soho, LES, West Village, Union Square
Bid $175

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Using your ELEVEN re-bid zones (confirm your re-bid zones before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked) i would bid as follows:

** as this point i would switch to your second group of zones since you give yourself to stay there for less... if you prefer to pay more for your original set of zones then skip the 2 bidding cycles below

** now you're going to go back to your original zones in Group 1

** and now your original zones in Group 2

Bid $175

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Maybe my reply as of yesterday (below) never got there as I do not see it posted.....

Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide this strategy that I would have never come up with on my own.

A few questions:

- when you state “at this point I would switch to your second group”, I assume you mean starting with Times Square, Lower East Side, West Village, Union Square and if needed following with Soho, Lower East Side, West Village, Union Square (your example uses gain Group 1).

- I assume that if I were to increase the max after the first two sequences (Group 1), I would have to start from scratch after closing the browser

- any reason why I should not continue with Group 3 after trying out Group 2 up to $145?

Thanks again.

Sorry, but i've been having an issue with my copy/paste on this computer and there was an error above which i have not corrected (although that may not necessarily make it any clearer depending upon where your confusion lies, so i have expanded the details below);

Let's assume the 'right' price to win in each zone is as follows (this is just for example, not based upon prices researched for your dates in each zone):

Rock Center $170

Lower East Side $130

So using this example, if you wanted to first bid up to your maximum bid price for the first set of zones, you would end up winning in the Rock Center zone at $170/nite.  This is good if your primary objective is to be in your first set of zones, but what if price is the more important factor.. bidding your fist set of zones never gives you a chance to win your second set of zones at a lower price.

So if being in zone Group 1 is the most important factor (and price your secondary factor) you would bid as follows:

(this completes your first zone group up to your maximum... now you repeat for your second zone group)...

Select 4* Times Square, Soho, LES, West Village
Select 4* Times Square, Soho, LES, Union Square

Select 4* Times Square, Soho, LES, West Village, Union Square

Whereas if price is more of an important factor (and between zone Group1 and zone Group2 is a secondary factor) the following bids Group1 up to a midpoint, then switches to Group2 up to the midpoint, then goes back to Group1 for your maximum, then Group2 for your maximum:

Select 4* Times Square, Soho, LES, West Village
Select 4* Times Square, Soho, LES, Union Square

Bid $175

19 hours ago, sf11 said:

any reason why I should not continue with Group 3 after trying out Group 2 up to $145?

I left out Group3 since (for me) i would wait a few week before adding those zones since they have a few 'problem' hotels and/or locations... i would sooner want to try Group1 and Group2 for a week or two before considering Group3 if unsuccessful with about 2-3 weeks to go prior to check-in (if you're worried about not having a roof over your head when you get to NYC you can book something refundable at RefundableRates.com)

Does that make it clear(er)?  Feel free to ask any questions you may still have that need clarification.

Thanks a lot. I believe I understand the strategy and I appreciate your patience and time. I learned a lot in the process. With this understanding, I will ponder a little about what's most important and then decide about the final approach.

I assume that:

- (theoretically) I could go through one of these "bidding cycles" using the final strategy once in each 24 hours, as long as I close the browser as indicated, leaving the last group for the end (and after checking that the quality levels in the free re-bid zones did not change)

- if I decide to increase the upper bidding limit, then I can adjust the increments and mid-level breakpoint accordingly, but just repeat the same strategy with these new parameters

Thanks for the link to RefundableRates, it will serve as a backup, if needed. 

I will obviously use your link for bidding but in the mean time I located your "donate" link and you should have received my modest support for your very useful site. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, sf11 said:

- (theoretically) I could go through one of these "bidding cycles" using the final strategy once in each 24 hours, as long as I close the browser as indicated, leaving the last group for the end (and after checking that the quality levels in the free re-bid zones did not change)

Correct... but in case you printed the post out earlier, note that i just add one more bid of information to the previous post (adding Zone Group 2 bidding to the first strategy... if Zone Group 1 fails up to your maximum).. let me know if this raises any additional questions.

1 hour ago, sf11 said:

- if I decide to increase the upper bidding limit, then I can adjust the increments and mid-level breakpoint accordingly, but just repeat the same strategy with these new parameters

Correct... but you don't want to start where you left off in case inventory has changed since you last bidding cycle (you seem like you like learning so i'll continue, but if i'm getting too technical just let me know and i'll scale it down to more of the basics).  Using a more basic bidding strategy let's say you tried:

4* Downtown...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

==> so you try the above and if fails (so no 4* hotels in this zone are available for $100 or less)

The WRONG approach is to:

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130

==> because what if in the last 24 hours a hotel becomes available at $90... you would never give yourself a chance to win it for less than $105, so a better approach would be something like:

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115

===> which would be larger increments for previously failed bid amounts and then smaller increments for the new bids

Hopefully that makes sense and is clear, but if not feel free to ask any questions.  We can always adjust the bid amounts for you between bidding attempts (or at least look to see if we think pricing has changed at all)

1 hour ago, sf11 said:

I located your "donate" link

Thank you very much... we appreciate the support.:smile:

Good luck and keep us updated along the way (or as more questions arise)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]