Hotwire Hotel: 5* New York City (Times Square South) The Knickerbocker Hotel

IraNYC
By IraNYC,
in

Hi, we booked 2 nights through Hotwire and got the Knickerbocker. Even though we live in NYC, our apartment is being painted and we need to get out of the mess. (I've pasted the amenities from Hotwire at the end of this post).

When we checked out the rooms on the hotel's website, we noticed that the less expensive rooms with King bed don't have any sitting area except for a small-looking desk and the bed itself. 

We are willing to pay additional for a larger room with a place to sit and more space to spread out. But we're new at this process, and wondering what the recommended procedure is to make this happen when we check in. Any suggestions? Clearly we would prefer an upgrade at no cost, but this is New York City and I'm not optimistic about that. But I don't even know if reservations via Hotwire are even eligible for upgrades with additional payment. 

I'd appreciate any advice or experiences anyone is willing to offer. Thanks.

Below are the amenities:

Times Square South

Boutique hotel

Children's activities

Fitness center

Pet friendly

Restaurant(s)

Smoke-free rooms

Bed Choice

Welcome to Betterbidding.

Congrats on your success! Very nice win for this property and glad you were able to get a deal to get out while your apartment is being painted. I would call the hotel, explain the situation and let them know that you are interested if there would possibly be any upgrades available. It's quite difficult getting upgrades in general in NYC on discount reservations, but it is worth a try. If they do offer, it will likely be an added fee (possibly the difference between your room regular rate and the upgraded room.) The worst they can say is no and if they do, you can try again at check-in.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Welcome to BetterBidding and thank you for sharing your results with the board.

I believe there may have been more amenities than you listed in your post, which would not have been seen unless you searched using the EASY VIEW TAB of our BiddingHelper.com tool. (always use this method for your searches/purchases to ensure you're seeing the complete amenity set and for an easy comparison of PRICELINE vs. HOTWIRE, as well as to use our new IS THIS A GOOD PRICE feature).

Can you please add a reply to this thread confirming the full list of amenities associated with this property (including any accessible amenities)... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

I believe this may be the full amenity set you may see:

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Childrens Activities, Pet Friendly

As far as the room assignment there are a few paths you can take:

1) shmooz a little at check-in, try to find some common ground with the font desk clerk, mention within the small talk that you are there for a romantic few days OR that you need to get some work done during your stay (or whatever would sound good as to why your stay would better with the room type that you're seeking) and ask nicely if you can have that type of room... if turned down then ask if you could upgrade to that room type for an additional fee (and before your arrival see the different between their standard room and the room that you would like... this would be the 'fair' price to upgrade to the room you would like, anything more is not a good value, anything less is a good deal; if the price is more than the current difference in room rates then you can always counter their offer explaining that you saw online that the difference in room rate is $xx per nite so you would be willing to pay this amount which you think is fair)

2) you could try offering a tip at check-in while asking if there are any complimentary upgrades available (this is usually done by putting a tip ($20?) between your ID and credit card at check-in and asking "I saw the (room type here) online and that room looked great, plus it would enable me to get some work done while staying here (or allow me to watch TV at nice why my partner snores in the bed (or something else that you think may make him/her laugh))"... some are comfortable pulling this off and it goes smoothly while others are not comfortable and it's awkward, you know yourself best and you have to try to read the front desk clerk in the first few seconds

3) call ahead of time (now) and ask what type of room you have been assigned and if you can request an upgrade to (room type you want).  You may be told "no" (at which point you can ask about a paid upgrade OR just try either #1 or #2 above at check-in) or "will make a note of it but no guarantees based upon what is available at check-in" (which then makes asking again at check-in easier and if turned down then inquire about the paid upgrade, etc, etc.

If you do try any of the above let us know how it goes.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Good luck and enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]