Priceline Hotel: 5* Ibiza Priceline

SeBad
By SeBad,
in

First of all, I'd like to say how awesome this website is. Thanks to whomever is running it and supporting it!

So about the trip now. I am planning a trip to Ibiza with my GF and I and are planning on staying for 3 nights. We would want the following:

1. 5 star hotel
  2. Ibiza
    1. Platya d'en Bossa
    2. Ibiza Town - Talamanca
  3. Travelling between July 16th to July 19th
  4. Willing to pay up to 200 dollars a night
  5. No specific amenities because 5 starts usually have it all :P

It is June 16th now, a month prior to the trip. I have tried multiple strategies by choosing one zone, star, price (70% discount) then increase the zones. Then I would restart with a higher bid going up to 200 dollars a night (40% discount).

Does this strategy work? Also when would be the best time to bid? Also am is my max bidding price to low (median price for area $379)?

Would really appreciate the help!

Welcome to BetterBidding! (and thanks for the compliments on the site!:smile:)

The 'median' price shown by PRICELINE is usually not accurate and not a figure that you should use to determine your bidding amount.  Even if the number was accurate, by definition of 'median' it would not be something to include in your bidding strategy based upon the extreme example below where there are 3 hotels in a zone priced, all at the 5* level, as follows:

HotelA: $250/nite

HotelB: $500/nite

HotelC: $750/nite

==> both the median and the mean above comes to $500/nite, but as you can easily see that would not be a good number to base your bidding parameters since there is a 5* hotel available in the zone for $250/nite (even a 40% discount to the $500/nite rate would result in a $300/nite bid amount, which would be too much)

If i understand your post correctly you have already bid up to $200/nite and have been rejected, correct?  At current rates my guess is that you will likely need to be +/- near the $300 area to be successful for a 5* hotel in one of the two zones above... how high are you willing to bid for this let of your trip?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts based upon my comments above and we will take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the quick response!

Thanks for the insight on the median value. Yes, I was rejected until 200 dollars for both zones. I didn't realize I could add zones without 5 star's in them after reading one of your previous posts.

So its looking like the cheapest 5 star that I want is 375 dollars a night. Im not very keen on pushing up my bid price honestly. I was able to lock in a refundable hotel for 250 dollars a night with some reward points. I wish there was bidding with reward point :) Would be a great idea!

If you think 200 dollars/night is too low, I can start looking into 4 star hotels. The cheapest 4 star hotel is 300 dollars a night. Im guessing I can start at 125 and go up to 175. Thoughts?

Well THIS HOTEL is $280/nite if it works for your needs and the amount of points you're using is worth more than $30 to you.

If you want to move forward with PRICELINE bidding you have TWO re-bid zones at the 4* level.  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

You can try as follows:

Select 4* Platya d'en Bossa
Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...
Select 4* Ibiza Town - Talamanca
Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Platya d'en Bossa and Ibiza Town - Talamanca
Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $175

Any questions feel free to ask (especially confirming your re-bid zones if you're unsure or new to the subject)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I tried the strategy that you stated above and it works likes a charm. However, I used 5 star hotels instead of 4 star hotels and went up to 225 dollars a night, no success. I will probably do 4 star hotels a few days before my trip if the 5 star bidding process doesn't work in the coming weeks.

Do you think if I were to bid a week to a few days prior to the trip, I would most likely get a better deal?

Thanks for the help!!!!

We don't see that much bidding in this area, but generally speaking, you don't necessarily get a better deal by waiting until the last minute... and you could get a substantially worse deal if hotels begins to fill up closer to your arrival; hotel occupancy rates have increased in the last 5-7 years and there are much fewer vacant rooms on any given nite than there were years ago.  Also, while you are only focusing on these dates, hotels are focusing on every date over the next year... there is not that much they can do to increase demand over the course of the next week (since not that many people can pick up and take an impromptu trip because the price is suddenly a bit cheaper than a week ago)... hotels can usually best optimize their revenue by keeping near-term rates high and getting top dollar from last minute walk-in customers (who are less likely to comparison shop once they show up at the hotel)

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if/how we can be of further help along the way.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases. (and not thru the links in any emails that PRICELINE may send reminding you that you're eligible to bid again)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]