Priceline Hotel: Need help, 5* mag mile bid 5/17- 5/21/17

Sofifi97
By Sofifi97,
in

Hi!

I'm not sure what a reasonable Priceline bid is for a 5* hotel in Chicago's Magnificent Mile/Gold Coast area 5/17, 4 nights and would appreciate any guidance.

I see bids for many 4.5 & 4* hotels on this thread, but none within the last several months for a 5*, likely since there are only three hotels that meet the criteria (Trump, Langham and Park Hyatt).

Basing on the 4.5* won bids, I was planning to bid around $160/170 per night.  

The Hotwire price for a 5* in that area is $310, for what I'm guessing is the Trump International hotel (since it's listed as boutique)... So I'm not sure if my bid would be too low.  Having said that, the Priceline bids seem substantially lower than the Hotwire pricing in the 4.5/4* category.

Not sure if it makes a difference (better chance or worse chance), but I need 3 rooms for 6 adults...

I might have an extra adult join us- not confirmed yet.  If so, is it allowed to request a rollaway if we only get one bed?  I should have confirmation on that before I bid, but just curious if it's a problem.

Tried to do my research before asking, but there are so many factors and it's a bit overwhelming.

Many thanks for any help!  

Welcome to Betterbidding.

This is a very busy period, unfortunately. The National Restaurant Association show starts on 5/20 (so you're going to have people coming in the night before) and that is really one of the biggest conventions of the year.  Rates are definitely on the high side during this period because of the Spring weather, as well.  There are several 5*'s in this zone, but only 3 have been reported. What would be your desired max bid per room/per night for this stay?  $160-170 is unfortunately not going to be enough for a 5*, but I think you may get a 4* at $125-140.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks so much for the response and information!

I can bid higher, I just didn't want to overbid and was trying to guess what an appropriate bid would be since I didn't see any other recently won 5* bids.  Maybe $230?  If not high enough, any thoughts?

Also, this trip is for my mom's 80th birthday celebration, so a higher end property in a convenient location is a consideration.  The 5* hotels listed are all well located and that is mostly why I'm bidding on them.  The 4.5 star properties seem very nice too, but since we will probably be given the less desirable rooms at a property less in demand, I'm playing it safe since I have no experience bidding and am a first time visitor.

Many thanks again for any guidance or tips... I will be sure to use your links!

Given one of the largest conventions of the year is taking place during your trip, occupancy levels (and demand) is likely going to be high throughout the city and discounts not as deep as when there is low occupancy.

At current rates my guess is that you will likely need to be closer to $300 (or even slightly higher) to be successful at a 5* hotel for these dates, but if you let us know your maximum bid price we will outline a strategy for you to follow that starts low, moves higher, and ensures that you don't overbid.:wink:

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

While probably not something that will be of interest, I'll note that the first couple of nights are noticeably cheaper when viewed separately.

In terms of being a first time visitor, I'll note that I'll recommend staying in the area along the river or North of it. There really just isn't as much activity on the nights and weekends in the Loop area, especially the West portion of the zone. Michigan Ave is very nice to browse around, but what I often recommend is to focus more on the Chicago-specific sights. A lot of Michigan Ave is stores that can be found elsewhere, but Chicago has fantastic museums (the Art Institute is a must) and a tremendous array of restaurants.  There's also very nice neighborhoods to stroll through to the North (Lincoln Park) and you can take the Water Taxi to the South to Chinatown. Please let me know if you have any city questions.

Thanks so much for that info.  I guess $300 is too steep, since I will need 3 rooms if using Priceline since I cannot bid on a suite with separate bedroom and a pull out couch, which allows me to take two rooms instead of 3.  Granted, I prefer the privacy and extra comfort of 3 rooms, but at $900 per night for 4 nights ($3600+) that is too pricey.  

I would say that $230 per room is my splurge bid for a 5*, so probably not worth bothering then.  

Would a 4.5* star bid maxing at $180 per room be worth trying?  

Thanks again!!

How about this as a suggestion (confirm your dates on the lading page of the provided link):

4.5* Downtown - River North for $221 (less 5% using the link in my signature)
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> best guess for this one would be The Godfrey Hotel Chicago

The above is for a King bed room and you could get 3 rooms at this price OR there is also an option for 2Queen Beds for $251/nite (again, less another 5%) which might enable you to get two rooms and make this well within budget.  Although technically all PRICELINE reservations are for double occupancy, i don't know of anyone yet who has had an issue showing up with a 3rd/4th guest when a specific room type was chosen and that room is designed to accommodate up to 3/4 people (so slight risk involved, but one that i would at least be comfortable taking).

Does this offer work for your needs?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks AaronJB!

If I weren't traveling with two 80+ year olds I may consider separating May 20th from the rest of the reservation, but that won't work for this trip.

Thank you for the location tips, that is in line with what originally appealed to me...being near the river and Michigan ave.

At this point I might try to bid on a 4.5* so I can keep it below or at $200 per room...hopefully.

Thank you so much!

I've stayed at the Godfrey in a suite via PRICELINE EXPRESS. It's a really very nice property (certainly a nicer property than its sister property the Felix, which is right next door.) The suites are fairly spacious with a living area and then a very nice bedroom and large bathroom. I'd recommend higher floors. Would stay there again. I really like the location quite a bit - Whole Foods a couple of blocks away and easy walk to tons of restaurants in River North. 

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]