Priceline Hotel: Manhattan, May 6-8

SVenus113
By SVenus113,
in

Hello,

I'm so glad to have found this site.  I've never used NYOP before.

I'm in a wedding this weekend and the hotel the bride is staying at is too expensive.  I'm looking for alternatives, as cheap as possible but within somewhat close range of Upper West Side.

I'm thinking 3 star and up is more than fine, though I guess I'd be willing to do 2.5 stars and up.  

Neighborhoods I'd consider:  Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Central Park South, maybe Chelsea, maybe even Harlem  (I think that is close enough to UWS).

If I could get under $100 a night that would be fantastic. Dare I bid $75/night and see what I get?

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm very familiar with NYC... where exactly is the wedding taking place (or where is the bride staying if you think that is where you will need to go to/get from most often)?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

$75 is unlikely at times other than the slowest period of the year (Jan/Feb). With Spring, rates do start to really ramp up although these dates aren't quite as bad as usual.

I'm seeing on PRICELINE EXPRESS (and you can use the BB coupon code in my signature):

Please confirm the correct dates of travel are showing on the detail page after clicking the links below.

3.5* Times Square - Theatre District for $118
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Free Internet
Free Breakfast
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>Guess would be the Staybridge Suites TS. While not the location you were looking for,  $118 (-5% BB coupon) and free breakfast is a pretty nice offer for NYC in May.

3.5* Chelsea Area for $131
Free Internet
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>Gem Hotel would be my guess.

Would either of these possibilities be of interest? The $118 3.5* is the cheapest Manhattan PRICELINE EXPRESS listing at the 2.5* level and above for these dates.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thank you so much for your reply and they *would* be of interest to me.  $118 is certainly the best I've seen, too.

Does it make sense to bid at a price that's just under what they list?  I've been trying to read around on here to find out about strategies.  Also, does it make sense to wait it out to see if the hotels don't sell their rooms?  Thank you.

14 hours ago, SVenus113 said:

Does it make sense to bid at a price that's just under what they list?

When bidding on PRICELINE you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose)... there is no way to target (or avoid) a specific hotel in the zone), so whether it depends how much you want to target one of the hotels above.  If you're able to save $10/nite but get a different hotel (one that isn't as well reviewed or as well located for your needs as the one you try to target above) would it be worth the savings? (i'm not stating that it is or isn't, this is something only you can decide based upon your needs for this trip) 

14 hours ago, SVenus113 said:

Also, does it make sense to wait it out to see if the hotels don't sell their rooms?

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your trip, but i would think you're already near the low end of the range for this time of year.  Also, keep in mind that while you're focused on these specific dates, the hotel is focused on occupancy throughout the year... by the time you're a few days from check-in there isn't very much the hotel can do to effect demand, nor would they necessarily want to.  Even if a hotel were to drop their rates a day or two before check-in, how many potential guests would ultimately find out about the deep rate drop and be able to take advantage of it... they would rather keep their rates high for any potential walk-in customers who arrive in the city without a reservation (much like airlines and plane tix).  Even if they could drop rates substantially to fill empty rooms, the hotel has already done their staffing based upon current occupancy levels... so they can't go from 60% occupancy to 90% occupancy at the last minute since they don't have the staff to support the surge in the number of guests, instead they focus their attention on the future where they can better effect demand.

If you take one of the offers above let us know how it goes, or if you'd like to try bidding for a hotel let us know your maximum bid, desired star rating, and acceptable zones (by PRICELINE name) and we will advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]