Priceline Hotel: Anything in Chicago under $400 a night?

coondogg97
By coondogg97,
in

Last time I used this site to book a hotel in Chicago  I ended up with The Langham Chicago for $226 a night. I am looking to go back to Chicago (6/1-6/5) and the cheapest decent hotel I am seeing on PRICELINE or HOTWIRE is  a 4.5* in the River North area for $439 a night. I know U2 is there that weekend and I understand an event like that will drive prices up, but that's almost double the price per night. Should I just bite the bullet and pay or do you think the prices will drop the closer we get to the date?

You're right that the U2 concert would effect prices but it shouldn't be as much as you're seeing, so i investigated further and see that the ASCO conference (a BIG biotech conference where lots of clinical data is released to the public... it's highly attended by not only drug/biotech firms, but also Wall St. analysts as many stocks tend to move on their announcements and releasing of clinical data at the conference) is taking place from 6/2-6/6 with 43K attendees and this is the more likely reason for the high rates you're seeing over these dates.

With the above noted, nobody can say if rates will come down, or move even higher, over the course of the next month.

Rates are much more reasonable for the first nite of your stay so you may want to consider SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID... it would require you to likely change hotels after the first nite, but it may bring down your average cost for the complete stay.  O'Hare is about an hour trip on the Blue Line which is certainly less convenient than staying directly in the city, but it would probably save you a few hundred dollars a nite.

Will you have a car... as AaronJB may be able to suggest some of the outlying suburbs if you could drive to a train station and commute in by rail.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed or how it goes... or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply, although it was the first reply I have ever gotten here that I didn't like. :angry: But not the boards fault at all, I will blame Bono.

As always, thanks for the info. I do appreciate at least knowing what's in store for me. I will not have a car but I would have no problem taking a cab or Uber, that's usually how I get around when visiting cities. But I would prefer to stay in town somewhere. I guess I will just check the rates over the next couple of weeks and hope I can get something for a decent price.

Thanks again!

If you're coming into O'Hare, while not optimal I'd suggest staying by ORD. The North Suburbs are what I often suggest, but the issue if you're coming into ORD is that via public transit, you basically have to go downtown and then North. Additionally, it's difficult to get from train station to hotel in the North burbs in most cases w/o cab (some hotels offer local shuttle but not all) I'm seeing options in the North burbs for these dates for around $65 and bidding could likely result in slightly lower than that. The North Burbs are very nice with a lot of restaurant options and shopping. It is a trek into downtown via Metra, but the Metra trains are a nicer ride than the CTA trains. 

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to research/offer options.

priceline..discussion

Thanks Aaron. We are actually flying into Midway from Philly. Will not have a car but have no problem with cabs. Although with the cab fare it may be just as economical to stay closer to the Loop. A few things we plan on doing:

Soldier Field (Saturday)

Eataly

Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company

Milk Room (speakeasy)

Second City

Au Cheval

LH Rooftop (if time permits)

All these location seem pretty far South from O'Hare, but I could be wrong. I've only been to Chicago one other time so I am not extremely familiar with the city. 

1 hour ago, coondogg97 said:

I will blame Bono

I think it's the ASCO concert more so than the U2 concert.

And a few comments from about Au Cheval... be sure to go at an off-hour (or as soon as they open); admittedly i'm not a huge meat eater but it wasn't life changing for me and not worth the extensive wait... although maybe i just wasn't hungry by the time our table was ready as we killed the wait time drinking (too many) margaritas and eating (too many) chips at the nearby mexican restaurant.

Eately we enjoyed very much (i went to the focaccia place on two separate occasions)

... and if you like craft beers and arcade games from yesteryear i'd also try to check-out Headquarters Beercade.

I'll leave it to AaronJB as far as your options on how to make these dates work more affordably.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]