Priceline Hotel: 3.5* New York (Chelsea Area) Hyatt House New York/Chelsea

Belen1
By Belen1,
in

Hi! After doing a lot of research, I'm planning to use your link to bid on a NYC hotel using Priceline and I'd appreciate your advice on my opening bid. This will be the first time I have ever used PRICELINE.

Area: Chelsea, 3 - 3.5 star

Dates: 5/18 - 5/24

I was hoping to bid $150, taxes included. 

Thank you in advance for your advice.:biggrin:

Welcome to Betterbidding.

Is Chelsea the only zone of interest? Unfortunately, rates are higher for these dates due to the busier Spring period and $150 "all in" (which is about a $118 bid) is probably not going to be enough. To get something in Midtown in general for this period, a bid probably more along the lines of at least around $135-145 (and higher depending on zone/star rating) will likely be required. Let us know if other zones would be acceptable and we would be happy to offer suggestions on how to proceed.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

I don't think you have much of a chance winning a 3* or better hotel in the Chelsea zone for these dates at $150 or less (especially not on an all-in basis)... i would highly recommend expanding to other nearby zones that may also work with your plans and/or increasing your budget (you may need to do both).

I'm very familiar with NYC, if you let us know more about your needs/plans for this trip, and why you prefer the Chelsea zone, we can suggeest the best options that will work for your needs.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your feedback. I would be willing to increase my bid to stay in the Chelsea area and would also consider expanding my search to a zone which touches upon Chelsea. I will be in the Chelsea area for work purposes and need, for work reasons, to become very familiar with this particular area..

Here are rates i think you're likely looking at (all all before taxes/fees):

To stay in Chelsea you're likely looking at about $165-$185/nite for a 3.5* hotel (which is $200+ per nite on an all-in basis).

You could get the NH Jolly in the ESB zone for about $160/nite, but it's certainly not among the list of 'top hotels in NYC' and about a 10-15 minute walk to Chelsea, and is small savings vs. staying directly in the Chelsea zone.

Since you need to learn more about this immediate area, would staying at 2 (or 3?) different properties during the course of this trip be a possibility?  For example, Hotel A may have a deal for the first 3 nites (but expensive for the last 3 nites), Hotel B a deal for the last 3 nites (but expensive for the first 3 nites)... so in a scenario such as this SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID could make sense (although i haven't yet looked to see if this happens to be the case for your dates or not, but let us know if it's an option and we will inquire further).

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, some partial success looking by breaking up the stay a bit...

You're still going to need to increase your original budget a bit, but at least you're now looking at some decent hotels/options (confirm your dates on the landing page of any provided links):

5/19-5/23

3.5* Chelsea Area for $166 (down to $158 using the link in my signature)
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Breakfast
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> best guess here would be the Hyatt House New York/Chelsea which is a new hotel (good reviews so far with a 9+ user review rating by previous PRICELINE guests)... doesn't get you in heart of Chelsea, but does get you in the zone and in May the weather should be nice for an easy walk

Unfortunately the above would require different hotels for 5/18 and 5/24 (if you're flying in not sure if staying near the airport on the day of arrival and/or departure is an option)... or you could extend the stay above to 5/19-5/24 for $190/nite ($180 using this link and our code) as the price jumps substantially the last nite of your stay.

If you're willing to stay in 3 different hotels (first nite, 4 nites, last nite) then your options for the first and last nite:

5/18-5/19

4* Downtown - Wall Street for $131
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
==> best guess would be the Club Quarters, World Trade Center or the New York Marriott Downtown... neither are that close to Chelsea, but both are excellent values at this price point, as well as both being close to the Hudson which has a walkway that extends all the way to Chelsea (so maybe you can rationalize the location by experiencing the walkway (Battery Park Esplanade and the Hudson River Greenway)

.... or about $200 to stay in the Chelsea zone (or maybe airport since day of arrival?)

5/23-5/24

3* Central Park South for $136
Business Center
Restaurant
==> Wellington Hotel... not great, imo, but maybe you could make it work for one nite given the price??

... or about $200 to stay in the Chelsea zone (or maybe airport since day of depature?)

Let us know your thoughts on the above and we'll take it from there.

For the night of 5/18, I will stay with a friend.

Staying from 5/19-5/23 at a 3.5* in Chelsea and bidding $158 (using your site's link), I could swing if it meant ending up at the new Hyatt House.👍

Based on your research about Chelsea availability....For the night of 5/23, I would prefer staying in downtown Brooklyn since I want to check out that thriving area plus I will be flying out of JFK.

The amenities I seek are simple: free wi-fi, non smoking room w/refrigerator. 

Still seeing PRICELINE EXPRESS:

3.5* Chelsea Area for $166
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Breakfast
Fitness Center
>>>Likely Hyatt House.

Refrigerator is not going to be a common amenity in NYC unfortunately, as rooms in NYC are often tiny - sometimes to the point where a rollaway bed wouldn't fit. The Hyatt House does - at least according to what I'm reading online - does include a frig in rooms.

So using the PRICELINE EXPRESS link above and the code in our signatures let us know how it goes... then please start a NEW TOPIC and we will have a look at the last remaining nite of your stay (in Brooklyn if that is what you prefer)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Congrats on your success.

Quite a good deal for this Hyatt House property! Glad you are pleased with the win and were able to get something that works well for your travel plans for the majority of your stay.

Thank you for using the site's PRICELINE link to start your purchases and searches, as well as for letting us know about this new PRICELINE EXPRESS property so that we can update the site's Priceline Hotel List

Please start new threads for the additional nights of your stay and we would be happy to help.

Enjoy your stay.

MichaelEg,

If you would like help with, or to report a win for, your own trip please start a NEW TOPIC.

Also, please conclude your previous London Hotwire Hotel thread with the information requested as well as whatever it is that you decide to do for that trip.  Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]