Priceline Hotel: 4.5* San Francisco (Financial District - Embarcadero) Omni San Francisco Hotel

DPHtraveler
By DPHtraveler,
in

Gained a lot of insight from this site when I booked a trip to New York and now planning a trip to San Fransicsco.

1.  I need 2 rooms but slightly different dates.  I need one room from July 20 - 24, and the other room from July 21 - 23.  Any suggestions on how to place bids or use HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS and end up in the same hotel?

2.  For July 20 - 24, 2017, Priceline Express is showing the following deals in the Financial District - Embarcadero zone.  Any idea on which hotels these are?

4.5* hotel, $211 per night, rated 9 out of 10, save 25% or more.  Amenities listed are:

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Restaurant

Fitness Center

No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

4* hotel, $215 per night, save 18% or more.  Amenities include:

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Fitness Center

No Smoking Rooms/Facilities.

3.  For the same dates and zone, Hotwire Easy View is showing:

4.5*, $213 per night.  Full amenities are:

Pet Friendly

Smoke-free rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurants

Business Center

Internet access

Golf nearby

Restaurant(s)

Accessible path of travel (huh?)

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

["Is this a good price?" box only lists the Omni, which is a hotel I like a lot]

4.  One highly rated hotel I would like to avoid is the Palace Hotel, which is given 5 stars.  The times I stayed there I was given a terribly small room with a window looking into a narrow alley and other landlocked rooms of the hotel. I assume if you get this hotel from Priceline or Hotwire you will have a good chance of getting one of these awful rooms.  That's probably the main reason I wouldn't want to expand my zone to South of Market - Moscone, though I like other hotels in that zone.

Thanks for your help!

Confirm your dates on the landing pages of any links provided below:

I'm seeing a higherprice than you quoted above...

4.5* Union Square East - Nob Hill for $257
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
==> best guess would be the Taj Campton Place

... and a different 4* property:

4* Union Square East - Nob Hill for $230
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
==> Grand Hyatt San Francisco is my guess here

For the HOTWIRE offer:

4.5* Financial District - Embarcadero for $213.00
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
==> the Omni would be my best guess for this one

Assuming you are interested in one of the above, as far as increasing your chances of ending up at the same hotel for each purchase, this is what i would do:

1) search for 2 rooms for 7/20-7/24 and see if the same hotel you want is offered

2) search for 1 room 7/20-7/24 and see if the same hotel you want is offered

3) search for 1 room 7/21-73 and see if the same hotel you want is offered

You want to do the 2 room search first to ensure that there are at least 2 rooms offered at the hotel. For example, if only one room was available you would still see the same hotel offered on search #2 and search #3, but once you made the purchase from search #2 you would no longer see the same hotel when you went to purchase as per search #3 (and no, having two browsers open for each sets of dates with the same hotel offered won't help... you would just get a message that "the hotel is no longer available" when you went to complete the second purchase.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if you have any questions and we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry, my mistake (well, at least i got the HOTWIRE one right :biggrin:)

For the PRICELINE EXPRESS offers (again, confirm your dates on the landing page of any provided links):

4.5* Financial District - Embarcadero for $211
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
==> best guess would be the Omni San Francisco Hotel

4* Financial District - Embarcadero for $215
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
==> Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco would be my best guess for this one

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

No problem.   I thought you would say the Omni, and I wouldn't mind staying there or the other 4.5 star hotel that seems to be a possibility for this zone (Le Meridien).   Any suggestions on how to bid this through the multiple zone technique?  

Also, in your experience, what is the likelihood of getting a significantly better rate for a 4.5* in this zone through bidding vs. simply taking the Priceline Express deal?  I tried the multiple zone technique for a New York City hotel.  It's a bit nerve-wracking because you need to make sure you know what star level hotels are available in the new zone you are adding, or you could be stuck with a hotel in that zone that you don't want to be in.  I did not make any mistakes like that, but it's a bit scary the first time you try it.  Anyway, after doing over 12 bids with that technique, I was only a few dollars away from the PricelIne Express price with no success, so I just went with that.  Would you expect that to be the case here as well?

Any pros and cons in using Priceline Express vs. Hotwire?  Both have a very similar rate for 4.5* hotels in this zone ($211 vs. $213).

Does the board 5% off PRICELINE EXPRESS discount code apply here, since my stay will be in July? 

Bidding is usually slightly cheaper but often not significantly so (and even less when using the board's exclusive PRICELINE EXPRESS discount)... so the question would be how much would you need to save in order to make going thru the bidding process worthwhile?  You could use that as your maximum bid and upon reaching that point simply take the known/guessed PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE deal (simply take whichever is cheaper on an all-in basis)

The board's PRICELINE EXPRESS promotion is 'book before 4/30... stay anytime' so you would be entitled to the extra discount.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed (or how it goes if you take one of the PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE offers above) and we'll take it from there.

I did some checking using Bidding Helper on Priceline Express, breaking down my trip (July 20 - 24) into various combinations of those days as well as the entire period.  My parameters were for 4.5* or 5* hotels in the Financial District - Embarcadaro zone only.  I found that the lowest daily rate was for the period of Friday, July 21 - Monday, July 24.  This produced a daily rate of $202 for the 4.5* and $348 for the 5*.  For the full period of July 20 -24, the daily rate was $211 for the 4.5* and $389 for the 5*.   For the 4.5* hotel, the daily rate is just $9 per day more when using the 4-day period. Interestingly, if I wanted pick up the July 20-21 day separately on a stand-alone basis, the daily rate for that one day would be $320 for the 4.5* and $392 for the 5*.  So the 4-day rate for the 4.5* hotel seems to be quite a good deal -- the $118 higher rate for the first night should have added about $30 per day to the 4-day daily rate, but it only adds $9 per day.  I'm thinking of just grabbing it instead of bidding.

As to what I would need to save to make the bidding process worthwhile, probably would need a savings of about $25 per day, meaning a daily rate of about $191.

5 hours ago, DPHtraveler said:

I'm thinking of just grabbing it instead of bidding.

Let us know how it goes, or if you decide you want to bid, let us know what star rating you would like to try for and your maximum bid, and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Good luck!

When bidding 4.5* in the San Francisco region you have TEN re-bid zones.  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

You can try as follows starting with the board's PRICELINE link:

Select 4.5* Financial District
Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $192

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 4 months later...

Instead of bidding, I took the Priceline Express 4.5* hotel deal offered in Financial District at $193 per night, and applied the 5% discount from betterbidding website, which made the effective daily rate even lower.  (Same amenities as in above thread.)  The hotel was the Omni Hotel, which is what I wanted all along.  

By the way, this turned out to be a very good deal.  About 2 weeks before my trip, I tried bidding on Priceline for an extra night (arriving 1 day earlier) in the same Financial Area district and 4.5*hotel..  By that time, the hotel rate was crazy high, and my Priceline bid for as high as $355 per night was not accepted!  I could have had this earlier night for about $240 per night on Priceline Express about one month earlier.  I ended up staying instead at the Hyatt Regency, booked under a different method for around $259 for that night.

The Omni Hotel was great.  Really like the free coffee delivery service to the room.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]