Priceline Hotel: 4.5* New York (Grand Central Terminal - UN) Even Hotel New York - Midtown East

aesthetic
By aesthetic,
in

Sorry about that, I thought I had posted the links to the landing pages but I guess it did not go through.

I think we would prefer to look at total prices now - around $1500ish total.  Even Hotel looks nice, but what do you think about the location?  Is it Grand Central station a decent enough hub?  We did like the location of Stewart next to Penn Station, which I knew we could get to from EWR, and I have previously stayed in Times Square which is very central, so I just want to make sure the location is good for our trip.

Bagels with smoked salmon are our favorite breakfast, which is definitely a plus as well.  I don't really care about the fitness focused of the hotel - we are from LA so have enough of that and are looking forward to enjoying a VACATION! Hah!

Here are the details from biddinghelper for the hotels listed before, in case you have any insight on what they may be or opinions. Our dates are May 3 - May 9. 

4* Grand Central Terminal - UN Rated 8.0 out of 10 (or higher) for $211

Business Center

Restaurant

Fitness Center

No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

4* Central Park South Rated 7.0 out of 10 (or higher) for $218

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

4* Times Square - Theatre District Rated 7.0 out of 10 (or higher) for $194

Pets Allowed

Business Center

4* Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park Rated 7.0 out of 10 (or higher) for $200

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Fitness Center

4* Empire State Building Area Rated 8.0 out of 10 (or higher) for $206 

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Free Internet

Fitness Center

Thank you again for all of your help!

I'm seeing (please confirm that the correct dates of travel are showing on the detail page after clicking the links below.)

4.5* Grand Central Terminal - UN for $217
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>Guess would be the Even Hotel MTE

4* Times Square - Theatre District for $194
Pets Allowed
Business Center
>>>Guess would be the Doubletree Times Square W.

4* Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park for $200
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center

>>>Guess would be the Club Quarters Midtown

4* Madison Square Garden - Convention Area for $177
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>Guess would be the Stewart.

4.5* Midtown East for $249
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>Guess would be the Benjamin.

4* Central Park South for $218
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
>>>A guess in this case would be 6 Columbus.

4* Grand Central Terminal - UN for $211
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
>>>Guess would be Club Quarters at Grand Central or Hotel Boutique at Grand Central

4.5* Chelsea Area for $233
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
>>>Guess would be InnSide New York Nomad.

Please keep us updated on what you decide and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

8 hours ago, aesthetic said:

I thought I had posted the links to the landing pages

You did, but we would like the amenities listed within the post (as per your most recent reply above) as this way all of the information is in one location, as well as for the benefit of future users who won't be able to see any of the information once the links break as no longer being available or once your arrival date is in the past.

which I knew we could get to from EWR

Many people think like this, but my advice is never plan your 1 week vacation based upon ease to/from the airport... better to choose your location based upon convenience of what you want to do during your trip.

Is it Grand Central station a decent enough hub?

Depends upon what your plans are during this trip and how much of a walk you find acceptable... you're not immediately located near any major tourist attraction, but assuming the 10 minute walk to the Lexington Ave/53rd St station is acceptable, you will have direct access (no transfer needed) to just about any part of the city (and if you only wanted to walk to Grand Central then you would have direct access to most parts of the city, but would require a transfer for some locations).  Third Ave north of 42nd St may get a little quiet at nite after the business crowd has gone home (although there will still be bars/restaurants open), but south (about 28th - 40th St) there are lots of bars and nightlife.  Also, keep in mind that your journey to each location you intend to visit won't start from your hotel room, more likely you will leave your hotel to go to Point A, from there head to Point B, then to Point C, etc, etc.  If there is a part of the city you think will be difficult to reach from here let me know and i will advise on the route that you would typically take.

Bottomline is that it may or may not be your style, but it's a new hotel, has been getting great reviews, and not one review that i have read mentions it being a poor location (in fact most comments such as 'super convenient location', 'Great Location!', 'central location', etc)... but ultimately up to you based upon where you intend to visit and the style of hotel you prefer.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi there,

Thank you both for that information.  I am glad to see the the Even Hotel is in a convenient location.  I do really value the cleaniness of the hotel, that it is new, great reviews, etc. but it is a little out of my style.  We both travel a lot for business and would prefer something a little more indulgent and a little less utilitarian.  It would be a great hotel for a business trip.  However, given the price and great reviews it is still a great contender.  We will be reviewing the reviews/location for Innside shown above (more our style) and discussing what we think would fit the needs of our trip and probably will be booking one of them soon using the betterbidding link.  I will keep you posted once we make a decision.

Thanks!

Keep us updated on your decision, but remember that the longer you wait, the more of a possibility it is that the one you decide you want disappears from the offerings (or the price changes substantially making it no longer a viable option)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations on your success!

I think you made a good decision, thank you for sharing your win with the board and helping us confirm this property for the Priceline Express Hotel List.

Let us know what type of food(s) you like, as well as your budget (as restaurant costs can add up very quickly, especially if including alcohol) and i will offer up some suggestions.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

We like pretty much everything and are adventurous eaters. Sushi, French, delis, bagels, steakhouses, Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian, Eastern European, can't really think of anything we do not like. 

We would probably like to go to one Michelin restaurant (have already been to Jean Georges) and are open to one or two $$$$ restaurants (around $150/pp before drinks) and then the rest of our meals we will look for casual places and some drinking/food places.  Food is a big reason we travel and have budgeted for that. 

Definitely looking for great pizza places and suggestions for cocktail bars with a good ambiance and drinks. 

The 5* Michelin type of places aren't my forte, so i probably won't be much help in that regard, but there are some places that i like:

PIZZA: (i know a LOT about pizza, which is consistent with me not knowing much about 5 star Michelin restaurants :biggrin:)

Juliana's, 19 Old Fulton St, Brooklyn

==> it's not very far into Brooklyn and worth the trip, imo, as it's my favorite pizza in NYC.  My advice is to arrive at 11:15am for when they open at 11:30 to avoid the lines that will be there throughout the day.  Take the subway there (A or C train to High St) and then 'walk off' the pizza by walking the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan as you take in the NYC Skyline.  After pizza you could head towards the waterfront to the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory if you saved any room for some homemade ice cream.

Lombardi's, 32 Spring St

==> history claims the first pizza place to open in NYC... still excellent

Adrienne's Pizzabar 54 Stone St

==> stick with the 'grandma' style pie which is what they are most known for

(NOTE: none of the places above are 'slice shops'... they are all whole pies only)

NON-PIZZA:

Katz's Delicatessen 205 E Houston St

==> quintessential NYC deli with sandwiches (most notably corned beef) piled high.

=====> while in this area you can/should also stop at Economy Candy (108 Rivington St) for a huge candy selection from yesterday and today (as well as lots of bulk candy/nuts... their dark chocolate covered graham crackers are my favorite (and i don't even really like dark chocolate))

Rosa Mexicana (various locations throughout NYC)

==> never had a bad meal... but too often walk out feeling like i didn't get a good value (table side guacamole is usually excellent... drinks really pricey, imo (which is maybe where i don't feel like i got a good value))

Jackson Hole Wyoming 521 3rd Ave

==> i haven't been in awhile, and service is typically hit or miss, but i always enjoy the burgers here which are HUGE.  It's not for everyone, but it's walk-able from  your hotel

El Rio Grande 160 E 38th St (west side of Third Ave at the base of an apartment building)

==> i can't vouch for the food as i haven't been in awhile but the frozen margaritas are really good and really strong... enjoy these at the bar with the free chips and salsa (i'd do some more research on recent food experiences then decide if you want to eat here or elsewhere... but my recommendation is based upon the margaritas and chips)

Steakhouses:

Capital Grille (although if you have one in your own hometown then maybe try something else while in the city... but if you do go, do try the lobster mac n' cheese... might even be worthwhile to eat this with a few drinks before heading out to dinner)

Del Frisco's

Peter Luger in Brooklyn, but world famous for their porterhouse (not a cut i eat, so the experience is lost on me... but if a porterhouse aficionado, may be your new favorite steak place)  NOTE: CASH ONLY!!!

Chinese:

Wonton Garden 56 Mott St

==> hole in the wall 'noodle and soup' place, stick with the noodle and dumpling soup choices, i wouldn't order any true meals here

Wo Hop 15 Mott St

==> another place i haven't been to in a long time, but still has long lines waiting to get into this basement eatery

Turntable Chicken (314 5th Ave)

==> this place is a 'speak easy' for Korean Fried Chicken as it's not that easy to find, you walk thru the street level door and up the stairs, thinking the whole time "what am i doing here?!?"... but then you're greeted by a somewhat loud but modern restaurant featuring some excellent Korean Style Fried Chicken (which if you haven't had before is fried twice, each oil at a different temperature, and served 'hot and spicy' or 'soy garlic' (or you can mix your order between the two))

Few Higher End Places:

Atlantic Grill 1341 3rd Ave

==> another place i haven't been to in awhile... not over the top expensive but it's somewhat pricey, although they do get some very good fish the few times i have been there

Low End Place:

Chicken and Rice Cart (southwest corner of 53rd St and Sixth Ave... look for the "Halal Guys... we are different) 7:30pm-4am

==> if you're willing to venture into the 'street meat' scene, this cart is known for their $7 combo platters (chicken and lamb (which is really gyro meat)) with a healthy dose of white sauce and ask for the hot sauce on the side (as it's crazy spicy).  They are actually now franchising storefront locations worldwide (they have one in NYC on 14th St and Second Ave, but i think the allure of the place is decent food from the street)

If i'm missing any 'must have' foods that you need info on let me know.

Enjoy your time in NYC!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]