Hotwire Hotel: 5* New York City (Rockefeller Center) The Peninsula New York

smileallthetime
By smileallthetime,
in

I would like to stay October 4-7th around the Times Square area because I will leave on a cruise October 7th at the Manhattan port.  I know this is a very busy time of year and was trying to figure out the area that would be best to stay.  I would like to keep it a 4 star hotel that is around $200 if possible with the option of 2 beds!  On hotwire it has Times Square North, South, Midtown East and West.  Which area is best to stay where the cab fare with be reasonable to the port?  I have printed the hotels on your site and if hotwire has boutique I guess that means small?  Thanks for the help!

Welcome to Betterbidding.

The Fall is generally one of the most expensive times of the year in NYC, although it varies and can vary quite a bit from day-to-day. 

Boutique doesn't necessarily mean small, but rooms in NYC in general are certainly smaller-than-average, with some properties even at higher star ratings offering rooms that are as small as 150-180 sq ft.

In terms of two beds,  that's somewhat difficult when it comes to discount rates. PRICELINE bidding only guarantees 1 bed/double occupancy. HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS listings do sometimes offer a bed choice option, but in NYC when 2 beds do actually show as an option, it's often at least moderately more expensive.

How many people are in your party?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

The issue is - and this is particularly true with NYC - is that if you are just searching for 2 adults on HOTWIRE and there is no indication of bed choice as an option, then you are very likely to get 1 bed. If you search for more than 2 adults on HOTWIRE (for example, 2 adults and 2 children, even if there isn't 2 children) you should wind up with bedding for the entire indicated party, but that may be 1 bed + rollaway or 1 + sofabed or 2 beds.

Are you seeing a HOTWIRE listing in any of the Midtown zones within your desired budget with a bed choice option showing? If so, please provide the details (price, amenities, zone, star rating) and we would be happy to take a look and try to ID.

On PRICELINE EXPRESS under $200, I'm only seeing one option:

Please make sure that the correct dates of travel are showing after clicking the link below:

4* Empire State Building Area for $153
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Free Internet
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

>>> This would be a possible match for the 70 Park Avenue. After clicking, on the landing page there should be a 2 doubles option for $193.

Would this potential option be of any interest? This would not be right near the port, but being closer to the port and an option that would offer more than 1 bed would also be over your desired budget - possibly over $250, depending on zone.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

11 hours ago, smileallthetime said:

which area should I look for to be close to the Manhattan Port but where there is a lot of things to do withing walking distance.

Choose an area in NYC that will be convenient for all that you want to see/do in the city... not based upon your departure location, as there really is not that much to do around the location of the cruise ship terminal.

For the most part, anywhere you stay in 'midtown' will be centrally located and a $10-$20 taxi ride to the port, so i would eliminate the need to be near the port from your criteria (as you don't want to stay in an inconvenient location, wasting time and increasing your transportation costs to get to the activities you would like during your 3 days in the city, in hopes of savings $20 :wink:)

If you do choose the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer above and you take a taxi to the pier (or no matter where you choose, assuming it is south of 55th St) tell the driver that you don't want to take the West Side Highway and that he should enter the terminal via 55th St (as this will help you avoid a lot of the traffic that backs upon the West Side HIghway)

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You're welcome... let us know what you decide to do regarding the property above or how we can be of further help.

Do keep in mind that your options may be limited given your budget for this time of year along with the the 'need two bed' requirement, so if/when you do see something of interest that is a good value, you may want to act upon it sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you're happy with the purchase and looking forward to your trip (and cruise!)

The taxes and fees is comprised of both NYC taxes (which are high) as well as HOTWIRE's booking fee, and while nobody likes to pay either, i think you did ok given this hotel is selling for $1000+ per nite for your dates:wink:... sometimes it costs money to make money!

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]