Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Chicago Suburbs (Lisle - Naperville - Warrenville) Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East

ibntibn
By ibntibn,
in

If price were the sole determinant for satisfaction criteria, then this stay would have met our expectations.  Having never stayed at an Extended Stay America property before, I was unaware of the severely limited amenity base that this chain provides.  Daily housekeeping is not standard (for up to a 7-day stay).  Soap and shampoo (.5 oz size) are the only toiletries provided.  Room was functional, but every time I went from the kitchen area to the living area, my husband had to stand up and move his desk chair so that I could pass.  Breakfast solely consists of small/mini size granola bars, muffins and oatmeal packets with a coffee option. 

We have been highly satisfied rental car and Name Your Price (NYP) Priceline customers for nearly 20 years.  While I would consider including the company in my travel research, I will no longer use the NYP option.  The company made a gross error in lumping ESA hotels into the 2.5 star category and despite multiple phone/email conversations this past month, they refuse to acknowledge the disparity between the quality of experiences afforded at "standard" 2.5 star hotels (Fairfield Inns, Springhill Suites, etc.) and bare bones Extended-Stay properties.  Their remedy is to make the proprietor refund the bid and we are not comfortable with this corporate approach.  Sorry, Priceline,  me thinks greed hast overtaken thee...     

Thank you for sharing your previous win and experience at this property with the board.

I first tried to look at the property you won in order to compare it to other OTA's, but there are 3 of ExtendedStay America hotels in this zone (two of which are 2.5* rated... a third which is 2* rated), so i wasn't sure which one it is that you received... can you please add a reply to this thread confirming the address of the one that you won.

PRICELINE does indicate the following criteria for their 2.5* properties (emphasis added):

2.5-STAR HOTELS

Priceline's 2 1/2 star hotels are national name-brand and quality independent hotels featuring tasteful accommodations, and casual public spaces. While hotel services may be a bit limited, they may feature a restaurant for breakfast or offer a continental buffet, and may offer special amenities for the business traveler by providing a homier feel.

... so i think the hotel has met PRICELINE's threshold to be assigned a 2.5* hotel rating.

Unfortunately there is no standard criteria for hotel ratings in the US, so there can be a lot of inconsistencies in star ratings from one company to the next (as well as for the same brand from one location to the next).  Maybe i have just gotten used to what to expect at each star level, but for the most part i think both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE do a fairly good job (HOTWIRE used to be quite a bit more generous than PRICELINE in their star rating system, but i think they paid the price early on with lower repeat customers and about 3-4 years ago they completely changed their star rating system and now is mostly inline with PRICELINE and other OTAs)

On 3/6/2017 at 10:02 AM, ibntibn said:

"standard" 2.5 star hotels (Fairfield Inns, Springhill Suites, etc.) and bare bones Extended-Stay properties

While i agree that a barebones ESA property is typically not in the same classification of the other two properties you mentioned, they may also be nicer than some 2* properties (ie- they may on the whole be better than a typical Days Inn or Travelodge given the larger rooms, kitchen facilities, etc).... so it's easy to see the problem that can quickly arise when trying to translate features into a numerical star rating, as different criteria can be important to different guests).  And i highlighted the quote above to further use this as an example... while you may consider Fairfield Inns and Springhill Suites to be in the same category, the majority of Springhill Suite properties are 3* rated by PRICELINE (while the majority of Fairfield Inn properties are indeed 2.5* rated)

If you have been a happy PRICELINE customer for 20+ years (please begin to share all your wins with the board so that others can benefit from the information) i wouldn't write them off with just one bad experience, although you could change your habits somewhat by using PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE (assuming you could take a reasonable guess as to the property being offered and confirm that it's one that you would be happy with, or at the very least, confirm that it's not one that you're hoping to avoid)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

EDIT TO ADD: user replied to PM that stayed at the Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East at 1827 Centre Point Cir

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello again Thereuare;

You made some salient points about the value of my bid for this referenced stay and the fact that I have not always posted my Priceline wins to the board.  I will try to do this going forward should I continue to use Priceline, (which my husband is rather chagrined about!)

However, I do have a question that remains unanswered.  When you referenced ESA Hotels in the Chicago Suburb that were rated at 2*, I went to take a look at the pinned list.  Lombard, Westmont and Downer's Grove Extended Stay America properties are all ranked at a 2 star rating, yet the belong to the same ESA Chain of hotels.  Why the discrepancy between properties?  For example, all Fairfield Inns are ranked 2.5 stars and I assume the amenities offered on site are required by the terms of the franchise.  Why would this not be the case for ESA Hotels as well?

12 hours ago, ibntibn said:

For example, all Fairfield Inns are ranked 2.5 stars

This above is not the case, as per my previous comments above:

On 3/6/2017 at 11:49 AM, thereuare said:

there can be a lot of inconsistencies in star ratings from one company to the next (as well as for the same brand from one location to the next).

And by example:

2* Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Toledo Maumee

2.5* Fairfield Inn Phoenix Mesa

3* Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/New York Ave

I will admit that the 2* is a rarity for this brand, but there and while the majority Fairfield Inn property are indeed 2.5* rated, there are plenty that are 3* rated.

(Hypothetically) maybe the 2* property is old, in need of renovation, and has a poor staff... the 2.5* one is your average Fairfield Inn, and the 3* is brand new with an excited and energetic staff; if this was the case shouldn't they all deserve different star ratings (as they do) for the quality of service and the condition/maintenance of each property?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare;

Let me start this post by saying that your website provides a valuable service to those of us who go out of town only occasionally!  I rely on Betterbidding.com heavily when I travel and have found the information to be accurate and extremely helpful.  I also admit that since I work on a highly monitored computer at work, I haven't been bidding through the links found on the site.  I will try to do this from home more often, if possible.

Now, for my question.  Your replies to my latest posting(s) have been definitely "pro-Priceline".  I am just curious to know if you might have an undisclosed COI (Conflict of Interest) that might be related to your visibility and association with Hotwire and Priceline?  There is nothing illegal or immoral about this, but the ethical thing to do would be to disclose the nature of your relationship(s) on the home page, if this is relevant.

Respectfully,

Ibntibn

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]